UPDATE: Website about this idiot! Man broken enrish on ebay and unrealistic winning bidder.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Originally posted by: emmpee
Originally posted by: Maetryx
BTW, I've never head that shipping an electronic item is illegal.

It's illegal to ship an electronic item via USPS Media Mail.

Wrap the item in newpaper. now ship the newspaper as media :evil:

Actually I heard that argued once in lab :) I still think they are going to have a problem with it ;)

maybe if I just blink a lot I will look innocent.

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SweetSweetLeroyBrown
hey you forgot to charge for "labor" because you will either be writing or typing out his address on labels.

No, I didn't forget, I look at that as a fee. If I had a kid or employee (like some claim) I'd then probably have to charge more.

I don't charge my ebay fees nor paypal fees.

I have a ton of heatware too and I am sure all there agreed they got a nice packaged item, arriving in like new condition and I didn't rape them at all.

I end up being to low a lot of times once the items are actually packaged for shipping. Now for the record this is not a 3lb package. It's a 3lb shipped wieght....I think the actual weight is about 2.1 lbs packed which throws it into a 3lb class. I don't make these rules.

For the record I itemized all my stuff for taxes and I lost 25% on shipping based on what I charged for shipping. I am doing nothing differently with this auction than I have in the past, if anything I should charge slightly more for shipping and break out fees in the auction (which I will be doing and probably taking a pic while on the scale showing it's weight and packaged state, although it's problematic if I get multiple wins or someone bids on an item for just a part of it telling me to trash the rest of it)....

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SweetSweetLeroyBrown
the more energy you spend on this issue, the less likely you are going to "break even"

No as I don't charge for my time....plus this is just idle banter as I do my 'real' job....which is also for myself, but I am paid for labor on it.

You sound a lot like this guy I am dealing with, bring up unrelated items.

Å

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Maetryx
BTW, I've never head that shipping an electronic item is illegal.

It's illegal to ship an electronic item via USPS Media Mail.

Wrap the item in newpaper. now ship the newspaper as media :evil:

Actually I heard that argued once in lab :) I still think they are going to have a problem with it ;)

maybe if I just blink a lot I will look innocent.

&Aring;

If you pack it yourself before hand and the item is not to heavy, they will not ask questions.
Toss in a $0.99 paperback if have scruples.:D

My suggestion would be to sent it out priority mail in a USPS box.
The item is already broken, old newspaper packing should do the job.
Just pay the $0.50 for insurance. Having the insurance, negates the need for a DC slip.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

If you pack it yourself before hand and the item is not to heavy, they will not ask questions.
Toss in a $0.99 paperback if have scruples.:D

My suggestion would be to sent it out priority mail in a USPS box.
The item is already broken, old newspaper packing should do the job.
Just pay the $0.50 for insurance. Having the insurance, negates the need for a DC slip.

I offered that if he could accept it unpadded in a priority box only shipped monday with my weekly run. (comes out to $7.15 priority + ins or DC) and he balked at $7.50...saying it's only $3.85.

I was thinking he wanted the box and manuals...I sell alot of boxes / manuals and if they are damaged in shipping the people are ticked. I did not know he wanted just the battery and ear bud in the beginning and he didn't tell me that....

But yes I will normally sell dead out of box items (like the 9353 900MHz phone I sold for $4.02. I packaged it in a heavy duty boot box (great for shipping!) and it was still 5.94lbs to ship 9.29 actual cost I charged $10.)

If the guy could have been non-violent this would have been resolved...I may still just let it go, I am thinking about that too....just ship it to him and take it as a loss. I just think he would still give a neg now and that is what is stopping me....his attitude.

&Aring;

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It's not working anyway... stick it in a priority mail box and be done with it. Is it worth all this trouble, including typing out this post ?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
It's not working anyway... stick it in a priority mail box and be done with it. Is it worth all this trouble, including typing out this post ?

The problem is sticking it in a priority box will cost $7.60 at the post office, the guy wants to be at $1 something

I am going to tell him I will do the battery and ear bud for under $5 with his winning bid included....I need tracking on this as I am sure more problems will arrise.

I will look later tonight and let him know.

&Aring;

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Did he actually state he would leave a retaliatory negative in an e-mail? Can't you get him dinged for that? Not that Ebay would do anything about it, but retaliatory feedback does technically violate TOS.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
yeah to me he stated he 'could' leave me negative almost right in the beginning and why I did not want to help this clown....technically if I knew where he lived at that point I'd probably walk over and pour on his door.

His latest today was I can have the shipper's pick up at my door and they can bring me supplies to package it, but didn't realize there is a charge and didn't realize the post office doesn't give supplies for 1st class.

We also finally negotiated that which the phone and ear bud would be $4 total (with his one dollar winning bid) first class and $6 total priority....he then decided to take 1st class but wants the manual included + it should only cost me $3 total with his winning bid (12oz with the manual)....he said I don't need tracking numbers (DC).

rolleye.gif

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
this seems like much more of a hassle then it needs to be. why not forget this dillweed... sell it to the next highest bidder at the auction terms. after that... should he give u neg or grief... post a reply with a website documenting the BS he put u thru. or... isn't there that thing where u pay ebay like $20 and they take off the neg?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
that's not the problem....this is a $1 item...now I am looking at probably no way in hell to avoid a neg....I don't think this guy cares about negs...his account is buyer only....but a recent negative on me causes problems....

Somehow I doubt this guy got 144 positives that are legit....I think most other sellers probably had problems with this guy. It's like people with 100+ heat all positive and when the story comes out, people leave positive to avoid a retailatory negative. Sucks.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
What is the 101study website? How does it apply to this?

<edit>

Also, for a 1$ item, I would rather throw the thing in the trash and be done with it, than spend all this time and hassle for $1.... I wouldn't even list something that isn't going to sell for more than $5-$10....

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Murphyrulez

<edit>

Also, for a 1$ item, I would rather throw the thing in the trash and be done with it, than spend all this time and hassle for $1.... I wouldn't even list something that isn't going to sell for more than $5-$10....

hmmm perhaps clicking there and reading first would enlighten you. Why bother responding? For the record that is a sort of webshrine another seller put up about this guy...the same antics he is trying to do with me.

I never intended my item to sell for only $1....but I am not going to turn down a $10 sale either. Must be nice to be swimming in money you can afford to throw $10 away...my last group of auctions that were basically 'trash' to me consisted of 10 items that netted me $200....not a bad haul on my scraps.

However the point is if I list it and it sells at 1 bid for a buck I honor that. You win some you lose some and it's nice to see someone benefit as much as making some money time to time....it's a hobby that I am looking to expand now into a full-time venture, and things like this are good training 'aides'.

The principle is this guy needs to be handled....I am all for forgetting this, but I want to try and build a case to present to ebay.....and yes probably nothing will be done, but I'd like to at least try.

&Aring;

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
This guy sounds like such a PAIN...

If your main priority is avoiding a neg... if I were you, I'd probably just ship it for free, and not demand any payment. I know it sucks, and it basically means he "won", but that's probably your best chance to avoid a neg at this point.

If you're instead feeling rather vindictive, shoot him an immediate neg with the www.101study.com URL somewhere in it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

If your main priority is avoiding a neg... if I were you, I'd probably just ship it for free, and not demand any payment. I know it sucks, and it basically means he "won", but that's probably your best chance to avoid a neg at this point.

If you're instead feeling rather vindictive, shoot him an immediate neg with the www.101study.com URL somewhere in it.

screw shipping the item for free. Alk has a great rateing with ebay he can afford a negitive if he post why he got it. something like this wouldnt bother me from buying from the guy.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

If I was sure he wouldn't give me a negative I'd do that....somehow i think I am getting a negative no matter what....also he just sent me payment (I never gave him my address) supposedly for $1 less on the agreed $6 priority price ($4.30 + $1 his bid = $5.30, so I am now losing .30)....

I am thinking now is his plan may be to tell me to cash the money order and he will send a $1 but instead he will cancel the money order. The website shows once he got a shipping refund from the one seller he turned around and charged back the whole order having the seller not only loose his item, but also double the shipping.....the guy is wacky.

I contacted ebay now mostly because I don't want this to happen to someone else that $25 may cause them not to make rent or the electric bill.

My feedback is full of mentions of the excellent packaging I do for my items and why I was trying to explain my extra $2.40 over the shipping charges was a bargain.

I am doomed for a negative I feel and even ebay's retailiatory protection only handles the feedback leaver, it will not remove the negative on your record...they say leave a comment to explain it... :(

we will see if the money order ever comes

&Aring;

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001

<edit>

hmmm perhaps clicking there and reading first would enlighten you. Why bother responding? For the record that is a sort of webshrine another seller put up about this guy...the same antics he is trying to do with me.

I never intended my item to sell for only $1....but I am not going to turn down a $10 sale either. Must be nice to be swimming in money you can afford to throw $10 away...my last group of auctions that were basically 'trash' to me consisted of 10 items that netted me $200....not a bad haul on my scraps.

However the point is if I list it and it sells at 1 bid for a buck I honor that. You win some you lose some and it's nice to see someone benefit as much as making some money time to time....it's a hobby that I am looking to expand now into a full-time venture, and things like this are good training 'aides'.

The principle is this guy needs to be handled....I am all for forgetting this, but I want to try and build a case to present to ebay.....and yes probably nothing will be done, but I'd like to at least try.

&Aring;

How about I did read it. Nowhere did you mention what it had to do with this situation. You said GRRRRR.

A simple "Here's another seller with problems with this buyer" would do....

I have almost 450 positives on Ebay, no negs. If I was the seller in this case, I would tell the guy to shove it, throw the phone in the trash and give his money back. There, it's over.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

<edit>

&Aring;

How about I did read it. Nowhere did you mention what it had to do with this situation. You said GRRRRR.

A simple "Here's another seller with problems with this buyer" would do....

I have almost 450 positives on Ebay, no negs. If I was the seller in this case, I would tell the guy to shove it, throw the phone in the trash and give his money back. There, it's over.

hahah yeah and I bet you agree to leave each other positives too so you keep your 'nice' feedback and let the next guy worry about this clown.

I really doubt you have 450 positives by taking your own advice. You are probably the kind of guy that doesn't get his money for 3 months, complains on every forum possible that 'buyer A is a possible troll', and in the end leave a Positive Heat
rolleye.gif

&Aring;

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Actually I have never found myself in the situation you are in, so no. I have always finished every transaction quickly and easily.

And I won't dignify your attack on me by attacking you in the same way.. :)

Have a nice day!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Actually I have never found myself in the situation you are in, so no. I have always finished every transaction quickly and easily.

Have a nice day!

What a nice world you live in. 450 positives, more than likely some did not leave feedback or were non-unique and no problems on ebay at all? So far everyone I know has had at least one painful problem within the first 100 transactions...although I guess it depends on what you sell. Dealing with Cisco network gear and other's selling similar network products there are tons of problems that bidders create.

&Aring;

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999

Have a nice day!

What a nice world you live in. 450 positives, more than likely some did not leave feedback or were non-unique and no problems on ebay at all? So far everyone I know has had at least one painful problem within the first 100 transactions...although I guess it depends on what you sell. Dealing with Cisco network gear and other's selling similar network products there are tons of problems that bidders create.

&Aring;
I have seen someone with over 4000 feedback and NO negatives. The guy sold mostly electronics so I am assuming it was luck.
IMO, you are spending way too much time on this transaction. The item sold for $1. You probably lost money on the deal even when the item is broken. Resolve the problem as quickly as possible and move on. The amount of time, energy and emails you are spending is too much. You are working for less then free. You will in essence end up paying him to take the item. MOVE ON.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: chowderhead
I have seen someone with over 4000 feedback and NO negatives. The guy sold mostly electronics so I am assuming it was luck.
IMO, you are spending way too much time on this transaction. The item sold for $1. You probably lost money on the deal even when the item is broken. Resolve the problem as quickly as possible and move on. The amount of time, energy and emails you are spending is too much. You are working for less then free. You will in essence end up paying him to take the item. MOVE ON.

I am not saying no negatives I am saying no problems. There are a lot of merchants that will admit to negatives they would have given but were afraid of negatives in retaliation.

I am not in this now for any financial gain, I wasn't in this in the beginning for it on this item either.

What I am trying to do is stop a guy that obviously probably plays these games a lot but people are too worried to give him a negative and are just happy he pays something. I talked to some of the other sellers and they stated he coerced them into lowering shipping and just wanted to be done with the deal and forget about it.

&Aring;