[Update: USSC denies last-minute appeal] Defiant chief justice vows to keep Ten Commandments monument

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
I hate to play devil's advocate here, even though i may get flamed for doing this, but I am an Alabamian. Shouldn't WE be the ones to decide how we decorate our state government buildings? I say this despite my personal feelings on the subject. I just dont believe that this should be taken up by the federal government. It is a state building, so its should be a state problem. Let us decide...

It is a gov't building, though, and if it is breaking a clause of the Constitution, it should either be removed or be taken up by the Federal gov't.

Is it a Federal or State building?

Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Give me a break.

I don't see a problem with it. Haven't you heard of seperation of church and state?

Well, God has been removed from the Pledge. Moment of silence banned from Classrooms, Ten Commandments now illegal, must make a legal motion that the Bible be declared illegal and no longer be used in the Courtroom, no longer place right hand on it and "swear to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you God", no one tells the truth or cares about the Bible anyway.

Where will it end? Time to declare all Religion illegal in the United States, ban all churches and shut them down, they don't pay taxes anyway.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
State cpurt hpouse.

This is none of the federal courts bussiness. It's pretty simple.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
You can say what you want, but that monument is coming down. Possibly along with Judge Moore. Nobody is above the law. It's nice that Moore and his circle of protestors have strong religious beliefs and convictions, however that's what church is for, not the state courthouse.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
I hate to play devil's advocate here, even though i may get flamed for doing this, but I am an Alabamian. Shouldn't WE be the ones to decide how we decorate our state government buildings? I say this despite my personal feelings on the subject. I just dont believe that this should be taken up by the federal government. It is a state building, so its should be a state problem. Let us decide...

It is a gov't building, though, and if it is breaking a clause of the Constitution, it should either be removed or be taken up by the Federal gov't.

Is it a Federal or State building?

Originally posted by: dabuddha
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Give me a break.

I don't see a problem with it. Haven't you heard of seperation of church and state?

Well, God has been removed from the Pledge.

Why was it put there? The ruling didn't say you couldn't say it anyway. It said the gov't couldn't acknowledge 'under god' as part of the "official" pledge of the US.

Moment of silence banned from Classrooms, Ten Commandments now illegal,

How is the commandments illegal? No one is saying you can display the commandments on your property or person. You can't make it a part of a state building or built using state funds. Feel free to wear a cross or other emblem on your person or erect monument twice as large on your property funded by yourself not the state.

must make a legal motion that the Bible be declared illegal and no longer be used in the Courtroom, no longer place right hand on it and "swear to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you God", no one tells the truth or cares about the Bible anyway.

How is the commandments illegal? No one is saying you can display the commandments on your property or person. You can't make it a part of a state building or built using state funds. Feel free to wear a cross or other emblem on your person or erect monument twice as large on your property funded by yourself not the state.

must make a legal motion that the Bible be declared illegal and no longer be used in the Courtroom, no longer place right hand on it and "swear to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you God", no one tells the truth or cares about the Bible anyway.

Why would you want to make the bible illegal? That's absurd. Yes, it should be removed from the courtroom if it was put out there by the state. No person shouldn't be forced to place their hand on the bible and '"swear to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you God", to show they will tell the truth. That's in violation too. Again, that isn't making the bible illegal, just not advocated by the state. Feel free to go to your local bookstore and purchase as many bibles as possible, stand on a pedestal, and preach on!

Where will it end? Time to declare all Religion illegal in the United States, ban all churches and shut them down, they don't pay taxes anyway.

Why would you want to ban all religion? It is protected by the 1st Amendment. Government should have no part in it. Yes, churches should pay taxes just like every other organization. Why not? Surely, our government wouldn't be catering to religion now would it?