Update:Two brothers won $5 M in NY Lottery scratchers and wait 6 years to claim it...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
" he also didn't want the windfall to influence his engagement and subsequent marriage."

LOL! Oh yeah right. Honey I just won a million dollars.
That's it, THE MARRIAGE IS OFF!

Um, more like "Great! Let's get married (and then I'll divorce you)!"

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I don't know how that would even be enforceable.

I would be OK with them monitoring whether the remainder of roll is likely to have winners left. At least they are buying tickets with no guarantee.

I doubt the lottery commissions are going to start warning customers about lottery clerks lying about whether a ticket is a winner, since it would only discourage sales. There needs to be a way for people to verify for themselves if a ticket is a winner without having to go to a clerk.

Yea, one idea was an app made by the lottery officials that scan the barcodes (hidden under the scratch-off) of the scratchers and tickets.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Wait, why would it be suspicious whether they bought the ticket at their parents' store or not?

Trash diving for winning tickets or 'cause clueless people ask them to check if their ticket is a winner, the shop owner says "NO" and then pockets the winning ticket out of the trash.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Trash diving for winning tickets or 'cause clueless people ask them to check if their ticket is a winner, the shop owner says "NO" and then pockets the winning ticket out of the trash.

these are scratch tickets right? Why would the shop owner even say no, doesn't the scratch off say straight up YOU'VE WON?

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
The scanners in Ontario that check if a ticket wins or not set of bells and whatnot to ensure shop owners can't lie about it. Not that any of the scratch games are complicated but not all are simply "you win".

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
I have no idea what you said here.

Oh it's all correct words.. but commas and or periods I suppose...

All tickets in Ontario are scanned for legitimacy at the dealer. The scanner is supplied by the gaming commission and screams and flashes "you win" with bells and so forth if the ticket wins. It is impossible for the shop owner to lie about it unless you are deaf and blind but somehow played a scratch ticket. But the machines are really Really REALLY annoying.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I don't know how that would even be enforceable.

I would be OK with them monitoring whether the remainder of roll is likely to have winners left. At least they are buying tickets with no guarantee.

I doubt the lottery commissions are going to start warning customers about lottery clerks lying about whether a ticket is a winner, since it would only discourage sales. There needs to be a way for people to verify for themselves if a ticket is a winner without having to go to a clerk.

If you can't figure out how to read a scratch off ticket, then you deserve to get robbed. Don't play a game you don't understand... especially when there's money on the line.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
If you can't figure out how to read a scratch off ticket, then you deserve to get robbed. Don't play a game you don't understand... especially when there's money on the line.

In their defense, some of those scratchers are really, really complicated. It's like those slot machines with 20+ lines on them. It's often too complicated to keep track of, so you have to depend on a machine to let you know if you won or not.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Oh it's all correct words.. but commas and or periods I suppose...

All tickets in Ontario are scanned for legitimacy at the dealer. The scanner is supplied by the gaming commission and screams and flashes "you win" with bells and so forth if the ticket wins. It is impossible for the shop owner to lie about it unless you are deaf and blind but somehow played a scratch ticket. But the machines are really Really REALLY annoying.

Ohio has a similar system. I actually never considered this aspect of it, but I guess it makes sense - if it screams winner, well... no clerk can say "oh sorry, you didn't win."
Well technically they could try that. Say, "oh sorry, you didn't win - the system is buggy today." Most people, I'd imagine, would be alarmed and say, "okay. I'd like that ticket back though" - but I bet some could still be gullible enough and walk away. There are enough idiots out there.

Our system says "Winner! Winner!" pretty loudly.

Oh, and they could still claim a large prize winner is actually only a $2 winner. But I know I'm personally the type to either know it's something worth more than a few bucks and know the exact figure, worth only a few bucks but don't know the exact figure ($5? $3? $10?), or am 99% sure it's worth zero but hell check it anyway please. There's the off-chance I just schizophrenic that day and completely misread, but at most I missed it being a $2 winner - I wouldn't miss it obviously having three, four, or five numbers matched. Scratch offs, well... I don't know how you wouldn't know the exact value if you have halfway decent eyes and a brain in fair shape. It's possible I guess.

flyboy84

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2004
Well, turns out they were running a scam, and the NY Lottery was onto them the whole time, including releasing the unusual press statement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/n...-5-million-lottery-payout.html?src=twrhp&_r=0

November 13, 2012
2 Charged in Plot to Steal $5 Million Lottery Payout
By JAMES BARRON

They waited until shortly before the $5 million winning ticket in a scratch-off lottery game would have been worthless. Then, when two brothers from the Syracuse area went to claim the prize, they made an unusual offer: They told state lottery officials that they would be happy to take home less than the full amount if they could avoid a news conference.

The officials made them wait some more, saying a security check had to be completed before the big payday.

But “security check” turned out to be another name for an investigation that ultimately led to the brothers’ arrest on Tuesday on larceny and other charges. The authorities said the two brothers had tricked the actual winner, a customer at their parents’ convenience store.

The brothers — Andy Ashkar, 34, and Nayel Ashkar, 36 — were charged with attempted grand larceny and conspiracy. The Onondaga County district attorney, William J. Fitzpatrick, said in a statement that Andy Ashkar was also charged with criminal possession of stolen property, the ticket in the “$500 Million Extravaganza” game, sold in October 2006.

Andy Ashkar told the buyer at the time that it was only a $5,000 winner and, after pocketing $1,000 as a “fee,” gave the man $4,000, according to the statement from Mr. Fitzpatrick.

Mr. Fitzpatrick said in the statement that when the Ashkars went to the lottery’s headquarters in Schenectady in March of this year, they were told they would have to wait for the “security check.”

The next milestone mentioned in Mr. Fitzpatrick’s statement was an article last month in The Post-Standard of Syracuse about the Ashkars and the winning ticket — a story Mr. Fitzpatrick said “was actually put out by the lottery security division in an effort to have the real winner come forward.” Other news outlets including The Associated Press also carried the report, based on a news release from the lottery’s communications office.

John Lammers, the enterprise editor of The Post-Standard, said the newspaper assigned two reporters to the story because the editors wondered why the lottery had disclosed so much in a news release. Usually, he said, the lottery waits to announce a winner’s identity at a news conference.

“Nobody put a fast one over on us,” he said. “We were suspicious of this from the get-go. Something was going on.

“We put it on the front page because of all the red flags, and our readers got it immediately.”

The lottery’s news release said Andy Ashkar had bought the ticket but had waited to redeem it “out of concern that the winning ticket could negatively influence his life if he did not plan properly before being publicly introduced.”

“Most notably,” the news release said, “Ashkar said he did not want the winning ticket to influence his engagement and subsequent marriage.” The release also said that Andy Ashkar wanted to share the money with his brother “to show his appreciation for all that Nayel had done for him during his life.”

Carolyn Hapeman, a lottery spokeswoman, said it was “unusual” for the lottery “to send out a prerelease about an upcoming winner event.” The news release said the lottery “requires” players who win $1 million or more to attend a news conference.

“We’ve been getting a lot of calls about this particular ticket and these individuals,” she said on Oct. 17, “and rather than anybody question ‘Is it true? Is it true?’ we sent out what we know thus far.” On Tuesday, she referred questions about the case to Mr. Fitzpatrick’s office.

His statement said the real winner had come forward “and will hopefully be awarded his actual winnings pending the conclusion of the case against the Ashkar brothers.”

There was no answer at the Ashkar family’s store or at their homes. As for the real winner, the authorities did not release his name.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
His statement said the real winner had come forward “and will hopefully be awarded his actual winnings pending the conclusion of the case against the Ashkar brothers.”

There was no answer at the Ashkar family’s store or at their homes. As for the real winner, the authorities did not release his name.

Nice. Everyone knew something was fishy. Glad the real winner will finally get his/her $5 million.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Well, turns out they were running a scam, and the NY Lottery was onto them the whole time, including releasing the unusual press statement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/n...-5-million-lottery-payout.html?src=twrhp&_r=0

November 13, 2012
2 Charged in Plot to Steal $5 Million Lottery Payout
By JAMES BARRON

They waited until shortly before the $5 million winning ticket in a scratch-off lottery game would have been worthless. Then, when two brothers from the Syracuse area went to claim the prize, they made an unusual offer: They told state lottery officials that they would be happy to take home less than the full amount if they could avoid a news conference.

The officials made them wait some more, saying a security check had to be completed before the big payday.

But “security check” turned out to be another name for an investigation that ultimately led to the brothers’ arrest on Tuesday on larceny and other charges. The authorities said the two brothers had tricked the actual winner, a customer at their parents’ convenience store.

The brothers — Andy Ashkar, 34, and Nayel Ashkar, 36 — were charged with attempted grand larceny and conspiracy. The Onondaga County district attorney, William J. Fitzpatrick, said in a statement that Andy Ashkar was also charged with criminal possession of stolen property, the ticket in the “$500 Million Extravaganza” game, sold in October 2006.

Andy Ashkar told the buyer at the time that it was only a $5,000 winner and, after pocketing $1,000 as a “fee,” gave the man $4,000, according to the statement from Mr. Fitzpatrick.

Mr. Fitzpatrick said in the statement that when the Ashkars went to the lottery’s headquarters in Schenectady in March of this year, they were told they would have to wait for the “security check.”

The next milestone mentioned in Mr. Fitzpatrick’s statement was an article last month in The Post-Standard of Syracuse about the Ashkars and the winning ticket — a story Mr. Fitzpatrick said “was actually put out by the lottery security division in an effort to have the real winner come forward.” Other news outlets including The Associated Press also carried the report, based on a news release from the lottery’s communications office.

John Lammers, the enterprise editor of The Post-Standard, said the newspaper assigned two reporters to the story because the editors wondered why the lottery had disclosed so much in a news release. Usually, he said, the lottery waits to announce a winner’s identity at a news conference.

“Nobody put a fast one over on us,” he said. “We were suspicious of this from the get-go. Something was going on.

“We put it on the front page because of all the red flags, and our readers got it immediately.”

The lottery’s news release said Andy Ashkar had bought the ticket but had waited to redeem it “out of concern that the winning ticket could negatively influence his life if he did not plan properly before being publicly introduced.”

“Most notably,” the news release said, “Ashkar said he did not want the winning ticket to influence his engagement and subsequent marriage.” The release also said that Andy Ashkar wanted to share the money with his brother “to show his appreciation for all that Nayel had done for him during his life.”

Carolyn Hapeman, a lottery spokeswoman, said it was “unusual” for the lottery “to send out a prerelease about an upcoming winner event.” The news release said the lottery “requires” players who win $1 million or more to attend a news conference.

“We’ve been getting a lot of calls about this particular ticket and these individuals,” she said on Oct. 17, “and rather than anybody question ‘Is it true? Is it true?’ we sent out what we know thus far.” On Tuesday, she referred questions about the case to Mr. Fitzpatrick’s office.

Lol, can't fool the Lottery officials...

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Why does the quote in the OP say that a game with "$500,000,000" in the name has a top prize of only $5,000,000? :hmm:

Oct 20, 2005
Why does the quote in the OP say that a game with "$500,000,000" in the name has a top prize of only $5,000,000? :hmm:

Because for that particular scratch off game, the total prizes available total up to $500M while the grand prize of that game is probably only $5M.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000

It's a "$500,000,000Extravaganza" scratch-off game . Lot's of winners of various amounts and several of them are worth $5 million.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
The Ashkars, both employed as managers at area auto dealerships, were being held ahead of their arraignment Wednesday.

Way to give car salesmen a bad name. :p

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
the problem is - what makes his story any more credible than theirs? Absent a confession or video of the guy getting the money, I'm not sure there's proof either way.