*UPDATE, STILL SCREWED* I think I just got ripped off by Wells Fargo, need some advice

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
On monday I made a deposit at my nearby school Wells Fargo ATM of $600 cash. I had around $250 in my account, so after the deposit, I should have had $850 or so dollars in my account. I've been depositing all my money via ATM's for a while, and its not like I haven't deposited this much money in an ATM before, so I didn't think twice about it. I made about $180 of purchases at newegg yesterday night, and today I checked my balance online and it said my balance was $7.19. I was thinking what the hell? There must be some mistake, and I check my transaction record and it says that there was an "ADJUSTMENTS-MISC ADJUSTMENT" for $594.00. Now I'm very confused, and I talked to a Well Fargo rep. She told me that this adjustment was probably because I probably only deposited $6 in cash, and the other part in something like a check. But I deposited 6 $100 bills, so thats not possible. I'm getting very angry here, and the only protection they told me I have is that I can file a claim, which I did with a supervisor. Anyone know if theres anything else I can do? They told me that the claim with the fraud department usually takes 5-10 business days, and do not want to wait that long. I have school textbooks that I need for class, and this is not a very good turn of events.

*UPDATE* 4-11
Well I went through the process, I had a claim filed with their claims department, and they reviewed the issue, and they still claim that I only deposited $6. I just talked to the agent who handled my case and she even told me that her manager and her manager's manager made the final decision. She even said she was sending me the "cash ticket" that stated the amount I put on the envelope, and the amount that was verified by two bank employees in the envelope with their signatures. She told me that it was the final decision, and there wasn't anything else I could do. When I asked her what was deposited, she had the nerve to tell me I only deposited 6 one dollar bills. THIS IS A CROCK OF SH*T. I swear on all that I love that I deposited 6 $100 bills, and now I'm screwed. Wow. I can't believe this is happening. I'm getting screwed by someone and this is just not cool. I don't even know what I can do now, there is supposedly a video that films them counting the money, but she said they do not have any access to that, and the only thing they go by is the "cash ticket". What the hell can I do now?

*UPDATE* 6-12
I figured I might update this, well I had it reviewed a second time and the lady handling my case basically said you're screwed, we can't help you anymore. I even tried talking to my mom's boss who has a friend who works at wells fargo. She tried to help me out but I guess there is no helping. I wrote a letter to Wells Fargo but I still have yet to receive a response. Guess I'm out $600.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
NEVER EVER deposit cash in an ATM. As far as I can see, you're probably screwed unless the security camera shows you actually putting $600 into the machine.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I've never had any problems with Wells Fargo. Do they have a security camera watching the atm machine?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
File a written claim with their fraud department, and keep a physical copy of every conversation/letter/transaction you have with them. It's a long shot, but I would maybe even go so far as to see if the school ATM had a security camera or something. Did you keep the ATM receipt?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: pulse8
NEVER EVER deposit cash in an ATM. As far as I can see, you're probably screwed unless the security camera shows you actually putting $600 into the machine.
I only use ATMs but Wells Fargo sucks. You'll have to wait on their timeline.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

Most likely they will find their error, but yes - You will have to play by their rules.

Viper GTS

manuelku

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 1999
ok so they know you deposit 600.. and then they adjust to 6 bux? that's their problem, go talk with the manager of the branch

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Why does Wells Fargo suck?

They're better than BofA and US Bank, at least. :p

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

I only use ATMs as well, but NEVER for cash. That's just asking to be ripped off IMO.

manuelku

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 1999
atm is good only if you get cash. no ther way.. don't even use it as cc as well.. if some problems come.. you can't dispute it because they took the money already.

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Zakath15
File a written claim with their fraud department, and keep a physical copy of every conversation/letter/transaction you have with them. It's a long shot, but I would maybe even go so far as to see if the school ATM had a security camera or something. Did you keep the ATM receipt?

When I was talking to the rep I asked to talk to a supervisor and I did file a claim with her. She told me that envelopes marked as being cash are brought to a place that is videotaped and two people open it, so according to what she said it should be on tape somwhere. I do have the ATM receipt, and I needed it when I filed the claim. I'm just really angry right now, got homework that I still need to do and was planning to buy the book today. I'm actually glad I didn't because my card would have been rejected and that wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: m1ke101

When I was talking to the rep I asked to talk to a supervisor and I did file a claim with her. She told me that envelopes marked as being cash are brought to a place that is videotaped and two people open it, so according to what she said it should be on tape somwhere. I do have the ATM receipt, and I needed it when I filed the claim. I'm just really angry right now, got homework that I still need to do and was planning to buy the book today. I'm actually glad I didn't because my card would have been rejected and that wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

It would have been ugly, but if it was an error on Well Fargo's part, you wouldn't have faced any fines. (well, eventually)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

I agree, they are better than BofA. I have never used US Bank. I don't use banks anymore. I stick to Credit Unions.

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
I'm actually going to try calling my campus security, seeing if they do have it on tape.

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
arg, just talked to my campus police and they told me they don't have any cameras near the ATM, but they should have cameras in the actual ATM. Calling to get the Wells Fargo corporate number as I type this.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
NEVER EVER deposit cash in an ATM

I hope you can get it back.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
There's two things you should never do:

1) NEVER EVER use a debit or check card for online purchases, ONLY use a credit card. Let's not get into why again, please.
2) NEVER EVER deposit cash into an ATM although I have a friend that does it ALL the time.

I think she banks with Wells Fargo actually. Yep just called, said out of maybe 150 cash deposits (usually $200-$900) they only screwed up 1 out of 150 times.

She contacted her branch of account which made her go into the branch and fill out a form (some sort of affidavit), took about 5 days but they were off balance by that exact amount, adjusted her account, waived all the NSF fees, apologized to her and it was fixed.

First contact your branch of account's manager. You need to give them ample time to investigate the matter, do not expect resolution in 30 minutes. This is how large banks and corporations work.

If that doesn't work escalate it to the local district manager.

If that doesn't work contact their executive office wherever their headquarters is located.

The bank I work for would have handled the situation similiarly.

For future reference remember ONLY USE A CREDIT CARD FOR ONLINE PURCHASES and NEVER EVER EVER EVER DEPOSIT CASH INTO AN ATM!!!

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001

HMMM.. I had a wells acount and they sfcrewed me.

I have a USbank account and Have had for 2 1/2 years. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM

Dragoon42

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2000
I'm assuming Wells Fargo is a bank (i've never heard of it). If you dropped it into the atm/night drop, shouldn't there be a deposit slip? I mean i know you weren't dumb enough to just put $600 in an envelope and say it goes into this acct. There has to be some kind of deposit slip? I actually work for a bank and there's a bunch of different things that could happen but depending on how they process their night drops there should be proof of you depositing the money for $600

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

If you're going to deposit cash, atleast go get a money order or cashiers check or a check from your mom & dad. Unfortunately you learned a hard lesson.

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: m1ke101

Good for you.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN

1) NEVER EVER use a debit or check card for online purchases, ONLY use a credit card. Let's not get into why again, please.
2) NEVER EVER deposit cash into an ATM although I have a friend that does it ALL the time.

I think she banks with Wells Fargo actually. Yep just called, said out of maybe 150 cash deposits (usually $200-$900) they only screwed up 1 out of 150 times.

She contacted her branch of account which made her go into the branch and fill out a form (some sort of affidavit), took about 5 days but they were off balance by that exact amount, adjusted her account, waived all the NSF fees, apologized to her and it was fixed.

First contact your branch of account's manager. You need to give them ample time to investigate the matter, do not expect resolution in 30 minutes. This is how large banks and corporations work.

If that doesn't work contact their executive office wherever their headquarters is located.

For future reference remember ONLY USE A CREDIT CARD FOR ONLINE PURCHASES and NEVER EVER EVER EVER DEPOSIT CASH INTO AN ATM!!!

Well, I use my debit online all the time, so I would like to know why it isn't a good idea. :p

I've never had a problem. I've never dealt with any business that I deemed shady though.

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Well, I use my debit online all the time, so I would like to know why it isn't a good idea. :p

I've never had a problem. I've never dealt with any business that I deemed shady though.

Because it's directly connected to your checking account. There's a difference between credit and your actual money. And I think it's harder for the bank to get your money back if you indeed got scammed, unlike it is with a CC. (Ross works at a bank so he should know)