Update: ...security deposit back from an apartment?

Jul 12, 2001
I moved out July 1st, how long should i wait before i really start bugging the landlord?

UPDATE:
Well now it has been long past the california deadline of 3 weeks for the landlord to inform me about the security deposit

going to call either later today or tom.? I want to get mad and ask for compensations as some people have said if u take them to court u can get it back plus double the security deposit...my consern is i am only in a temporary living situation right now and when i move into a new apartemtn in sept. i dont want a bad recommendation from this landlord...

my friends once didnt get an apartment because of a bad. rec. from a previous landlord...

any suggestions?

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
My landlord here in SC said he thought it was only 15 days...I wasn't upset to get it back so fast.

Centinall

Jul 5, 2003
in California,

21 days to either get back your deposit in full or deposit minus deductions(with a list). If not then they're in violation of civil code 1950.5 f and k (or is it g?). The first is to do with the 21 days and the second is the damages you're entitled to, up to twice the deposit in addition to the deposit. ie: if the deposit was $600, then you can get $1800. Make sure you read the civil codes carefully though.

I just took my old landlord to small claims and won. That was the easy part, getting the money is the hard part. He's telling me that he's going to file bankruptcy if I attempt to garnish his wages or freeze his bank account.

good luck.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Centinall
in California,

21 days to either get back your deposit in full or deposit minus deductions(with a list). If not then they're in violation of civil code 1950.5 f and k (or is it g?). The first is to do with the 21 days and the second is the damages you're entitled to, up to twice the deposit in addition to the deposit. ie: if the deposit was $600, then you can get $1800. Make sure you read the civil codes carefully though.

I just took my old landlord to small claims and won. That was the easy part, getting the money is the hard part. He's telling me that he's going to file bankruptcy if I attempt to garnish his wages or freeze his bank account.

good luck.

where did u see the penalty? i found the law taht u are talking abotu...i moved out 3 weeks ago exactly and heard nothing yet

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
It's supposed to be 30 days in CA. Stupid management at our old place took forever to send ours back, though because they "lost the paperwork". Our old building got sold and we had 3 months to find a new place. Found a nice new place within a month and got out well before the deadline.

We drove by the old place a few weeks ago to see what they were doing with it and they had turned it into a block of condos starting at $120,000. Condos in a borderline ghetto?
rolleye.gif

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Centinall
in California,

good luck.

Why is he being difficult?

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Encryptic
It's supposed to be 30 days in CA. Stupid management at our old place took forever to send ours back, though because they "lost the paperwork". Our old building got sold and we had 3 months to find a new place. Found a nice new place within a month and got out well before the deadline.

We drove by the old place a few weeks ago to see what they were doing with it and they had turned it into a block of condos starting at $120,000. Condos in a borderline ghetto?
rolleye.gif

actually its only 21 days...if u didnt get it back by them u should bring them to small claims court and i have heard, at least in other states, you get triple your deposit back

Allaamu

Apr 15, 2003
I've noticed that Landlords are starting to collect cleanup fees by deducting your deposit amount. I didn't know that it was common practice until I rented. Despite my efforts to cleanup the place, they still manage to charge me for shampoo'ing the rug (they should've done that to prep the room for the new tennants anyway) and some other maintenance related fees.

Do yourself a favor and consider buying instead of renting from now on.

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Allaamu
I've noticed that Landlords are starting to collect cleanup fees by deducting your deposit amount. I didn't know that it was common practice until I rented. Despite my efforts to cleanup the place, they still manage to charge me for shampoo'ing the rug (they should've done that to prep the room for the new tennants anyway) and some other maintenance related fees.

Is that legal?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Allaamu

They cannot use your money for cleaning normal wear and tear. That is part of the cost of doing business.
Take them to small claims court.
That ain't right.