UPDATE: Problem solved!! HELP!! Windows XP keeps freezing!

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Shuttle SK41G XPC
Athlon XP 1900+
512 Nanya PC2100
built in video card

The computer was working fine for 1 month. Then I brought it on a plane as a carry on to my parents house. The computer keeps freezing randomly. It was freezing a lot at the "Welcome to Win XP" screen and at bootup to the desktop and at random places. I tried reinstalling Win XP after formatting the HD, but the installation would always freeze at some point or another. I've tried switching ram, using 1 stick, changing CD-ROM, disconnecting floppy, using a video card, resetting CMOS, but it would always freeze and I was never able to install XP. Then I installed a HD from another comp with XP thinking it might be the HD problem. Now this new HD with XP is starting to freeze too!! I don't want to risk formatting the HD and reinstalling XP cuz I fear that the computer will freeze again during installation. What could the problem be?? MB? CPU?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Have you tried reseating the CPU? Look carefully in the case also to make sure that nothing got jolted out of place and is now grounding the motherboard.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I had to clean a virus off of a machine the other day that was causing it to lock up at 3-minute intervals. Sure it's not that?

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I had to clean a virus off of a machine the other day that was causing it to lock up at 3-minute intervals. Sure it's not that?

I don't think so. Like I said I switched HD and the problem still exists. I tried virus checking the original HD but it Windows kept freezing during the scanning. That's why I ended up formatting that HD.

I will check on the cpu...sigh

Thanks for the help :)

ipsquitch

Dec 9, 2003
Kinda going out on a limb here, but you said that you had to took your rig on a plane as a carry on. Was it subjected to any type of X-Ray or scanning equipment? I've heard stories in the past of some airport screeening equipment causing hardware problems on laptops. It was a big issue a few years back, before 9/11. Considering the timing of the problem, I wonder if you didn't fall victim to something similar. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but have you tried systematically replacing each component (CPU, RAM, PS, Mobo)? Hopefully you can find a single problem area and replace it. Good luck to ya! Oh, and another thought, you might try flashing your BIOS to the newest version for your Mobo. If it was a scanning problem, that, and the HD are the only places that store stable data. If an airport scanner messed up your BIOS a flash might fix it.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
That was a bad idea in the first place. You should have just packaged it up seprately and put as much stuff in the case. Carrying a computer around does horrors, shock, dust, x-rays.

DarkSarkas

Oct 29, 2003
I actually just RMA'd a motherboard because I was having the same problem. After a lot of swapping and testing, the problem was the chipset. You can tell because the motherboard I used (Epox 8RDA3+) allowed me to change the chipset voltage, and adjusting it allowed it to run stable for long enough for me to get some work I needed immediately off of it. I would suggest RMAing the motherboard for a replacement. (I know it wasn?t any of the other equip as well because I swapped it all into another motherboard for the mean time and I'm completely stable). Good luck, it's a bitch dealing with this kind of thing.

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It ended up being the CPU!!! WTH? I always thought the CPU connections would either be making contact or not. I switched CPUs and things are back to normal :)