update on my son and his insulin pump UPDATE:WE GOT IT!!!!!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
continued from this thread that I let die.

Tomorow my son, his mom and I go in to start the classes on how to use his pump. This is huge. He will start wearing the pump with it pumping saline for the first few days. After that, its no more shots, no more rediculous schedules, basically he can be a lot more of a kid than he can right now. I am really thankful of the wonderful doctors and nurses that help us with his diabetes. They have made this situation so much easier.

Every time I post about him, I get a lot of questions about diabetes and its affects. So I thought I would post some links for you guys.

Diabetes.com American Diabetes Association's homepage.
childrenwithdiabetes.com good info on type 1 diabetes
famous diabetics browse through that...bet you didnt know half of those people were/are diabetics

So all went well today. We met with the rep from Animas (the pump company) and got basic information on the pump and how to use it. Apparently we have to go through a month's worth of classes, well one a week for three weeks, before he can actually start pumpin insulin. Right now he is wearing it with saline pumping through. We have to "pretend" its actually pumping insulin though, punching in dosages and the like.

The rep was awesome. It turns out she was one of the nurses at the hospital when my son got diagnosed! It was just my family and her for the class, so it was very personal and informative. Anyways, she gave my son a cover and a couple stickers for his pump so its not so boring looking. Check it out pics

Oh yeah, its his birthday Saturday, thats why he has the birthday sticker on. He also picked out a leopard skin sticker...kinky already!!!

UPDATE 2/18:

We completed our training today (a week early since we were the only family at the training.) Now all we have to wait for is the appointment with the doctor on March 24th and we will be pumping. My son and my family cant wait for this!!!

UPDATE 3/16:

Havent updated this thread in a while. Just over a week to go before we start pumping. We have all the supplies, have met with his school, and are just waiting for the day to come. The pump company (Animas) has given me some software that will let us track his blood glucose readings, carb intake, and all of his insulin intake much better than if we were doing it normally. They want us to be part of a test, so we are getting the software for free. I bought a Palm Zire 21 to help in tracking all this (thanks kerokeroppi82 for the great deal.)

I am sure you guys are getting tired of hearing about this, but this thread is basically my blog about the whole experience. I really do appreciate you guys tolerating me :)

UPDATE 3/24: WE GOT IT!!!! He showed everyone he could his new pump. This is awesome. We are eating a huge dinner tonite, spaghetti, garlic bread, milk, and chocolate ice cream for dinner. I am going to fatten this little guy up yet!!!

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Good luck to him. I've had the pump recommended to me a number of times, but I prefer the concrete control that I get from insulin shots. I think once I am able to afford insurance again, I may switch over to the pump; shots work fine for me generally, though.

How old is your son? I've had diabetes since I was 15 -- did this a few years ago; don't know if you ever heard of it or not.

Ah, from reading your past thread I see he's only 6. I wish you and him the best of luck -- there will likely be a cure by the time he reaches my age.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me. I've had diabetes for 9 years now, and my A1C is usually around 6.7, so I'm pretty in control; even if the question stumps me, though, I can always email my doctor, who would definitely know. It's always weird seeing your regular doctor testify in front of Congress about the disease you have. :p

Rob

Warthog912

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
My Gf had a pump for 3+ years. Her little Sister (17) just got hers about 4 months ago and loves it. They are very practical if used correctly, Good luck with your son and the pump.

If ya got any questions along the road, PM me as myself and the gf have alot of experience with Juvenile Diabetes.

Later

Nikamichi

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2003
Glad to hear that your son is a step closer to living a life that he can enjoy.
Good luck to your family.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
thanks alot guys. Its really weird sitting here tonite. I keep flashing back to the day he got diagnosed, and the shear hell of the following week. I am scared like that all over again. I know I dont need to be with the support network that we have, but...yeah...just but.

Anyone got a tissue?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It seems this could open up a whole new world for the little guy and parents! I wouldn't trivialize your situation by pretending like I can at all empathize, so I leave you with well-wishings for tomorrow.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I wish you, your son, and the rest of the family the best of luck. Every child deserves a good childhood.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
Wow excellent machine...I've met only one person that used that, and she explained it as the best thing to ever happen to her. Best of luck to your son.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the update. This sounds like a really good system for him. Eventually, as he gets more in pace with the device and its function, he'll be able to have a more stable childhood. :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: rudeguy
thanks alot guys. Its really weird sitting here tonite. I keep flashing back to the day he got diagnosed, and the shear hell of the following week. I am scared like that all over again. I know I dont need to be with the support network that we have, but...yeah...just but.

Anyone got a tissue?

yeah its hard when the little ones have problems. My daughter had seizures at 6 weeks old. The doctors didn't believe us at the emergency room. Then she had a full blown one. she was flown up to Rockford about 20 minutes later.She was put on phenobarbital (spelling rocks!). which cleared it up.

After a few months on that the doctor recommended taking her off it. She has yet to have one since then! but i was a nervous wreck. came on here and posted and got a few people that talked to me and helped me stay calm. some really nice people on here. heh even to assholes like me!

hope the little guy gets better. diabetes suck. my wife has it and I'm borderline. hope my daughter escapes it!

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Good luck with your son and his pump. My friend has used one for a while, and he has no problems.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
If your son is anything like you, he'll kick some butt and take names later!

Good luck with it! :D

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
It seems this could open up a whole new world for the little guy and parents! I wouldn't trivialize your situation by pretending like I can at all empathize, so I leave you with well-wishings for tomorrow.

Well said, and agreed.

zillafurby

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: GoodDad
continued from this thread that I let die.

Tomorow my son, his mom and I go in to start the classes on how to use his pump. This is huge. He will start wearing the pump with it pumping saline for the first few days. After that, its no more shots, no more rediculous schedules, basically he can be a lot more of a kid than he can right now. I am really thankful of the wonderful doctors and nurses that help us with his diabetes. They have made this situation so much easier.

UPDATE 3/24: WE GOT IT!!!! He showed everyone he could his new pump. This is awesome. We are eating a huge dinner tonite, spaghetti, garlic bread, milk, and chocolate ice cream for dinner. I am going to fatten this little guy up yet!!!

just think at some point in the next 10 or 20 years they will probably be able to cure diabetes for good.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
If your son is anything like you, he'll kick some butt and take names later!

Good luck with it! :D
Yeah, by recommending Apex TVs. :D