Update - Not a problem, -- Link to EVGA GTX 1070/1080 GPUs Catching Fire Due To VRMs Overheating

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have 2 1080 FTW cards and one 1070 card on the way. You need to register your card to get the kits. I registered the two I have , and they said the kits would be sent to me. I will reply when they come and I get them,

BTW, I have been running my 2 1080's at 100% and EVGA precision overclocked, and no problems in 2 months, but I will install the kit when I get it anyway,

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I hope this doesn't apply to 1060s. Probably not, because it's a smaller chip.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
This isn't the first EVGA QC issue that I have become aware of, thanks for bringing to our attention!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
BTW, after me running my 2 at 100% for months, I am not worried, and they are still cranking 100%, but I wanted to pass on whatever information I found, and let you all decide for yourself.

NOTE: I do have my fans cranked to 90% to keep the temps down. Most people would not do that. Right now they are running 62c, but that is becuase they are on "bad" units that don't heat up the cards. On a good unit they hit 73c

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
After this PrimeGrid AP27 race is over, I get to install the fire extinguishers on the 1070s, which just arrived in the mail from EVGA. And I need to get a few cards some more air somehow, as one is currently hitting its thermal limit and throttling, and another is very close to doing the same.

For those who are hoping to snag an EVGA 10-series card on Black Friday, do not fear, EVGA is supposed to have already implemented this change to the latest production models.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
A good read. Thanks Mark. I guess a 200 per million (0.02%) failure rate on something as complex as a GPU is impressively low. It initially sounded rather high to me due to my employer's standard: 7 out of ~2.5 million per year. Of course an alternator or starter is far simpler and less fragile.

So you sent your's back to have them install the pads and update the BIOS? That is cool that they sent you replacements first!

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
.....For those who are hoping to snag an EVGA 10-series card on Black Friday, do not fear, EVGA is supposed to have already implemented this change to the latest production models.

The article says all cards shipped from the first of November have the upgrades, and old stock was recalled in many instances to be upgraded. Interestingly, the article also reported on extensive testing, and determined the 'fix' is completely unnecessary, it's just those .02% poppin' caps in the hood.

Oooh, totally unrelated, but speaking of popping caps, my order of blanks came in along with the golf ball launcher/golf balls for my AR! :D Turkey day is going to be FUN!

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Cracking open a nearly new, high-dollar GPU (or two) was not my idea of a stress free evening last night. :) Fairly straight forward process though, only tough part was unplugging the LEDs and unplugging the fans. Cards seem to be running the same temps or less, but the fan speeds have certainly dropped. The outside card (getting fresh air) runs Folding at only 14-22% fan speed! And I'm running a custom fan profile that jacks the fan speed up considerably sooner than stock.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yes my new RMA'ed ones do seem to run cooler. Since I had my fan speeds overridden to about 70%, the bios does nothing for me. But I think the VRM's must be running cooler, and taking the card speed down with it.