UPDATE: New Haswell Build: Won't power on.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
See update in post #11

I put together a new build:
i5 4670k
MSI Z87-G45 MB
16gb (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport
Radeon 7870

Problem is, it won't power on. At first, the fans would spin but there was no video, no post, etc.. After a few fiddles with things, when I power it up the fans spin for a split second then shut back down.

I tried another PSU, same problem. Unplugged everything except the RAM, still nothing. Tried no RAM at all, nothing.

So, I can only figure either the MB or CPU is bad. Any thoughts on which? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

Last edited:

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
I put together a new build:
i5 4670k
MSI Z87-G45 MB
16gb (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport
Radeon 7870

Problem is, it won't power on. At first, the fans would spin but there was no video, no post, etc.. After a few fiddles with things, when I power it up the fans spin for a split second then shut back down.

I tried another PSU, same problem. Unplugged everything except the RAM, still nothing. Tried no RAM at all, nothing.

So, I can only figure either the MB or CPU is bad. Any thoughts on which? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

First of all, a CPU can't initialize without any RAM. If you don't have RAM installed, it won't turn on.

I'm actually going to guess and say that your RAM isn't compatible with that motherboard. This has been a commonly noted problem on Newegg reviews.

Most people that received this ram bout it with a MSI motherboard. The MOTHERBOARD itself does NOT SUPPORT THIS RAM. This ram WORKS 100% IN OTHER MOTHERBOARDS THAT SUPPORT "SDRAM".

I ordered this with that MSI Motherboard and could NOT get it to POST. But when I put this ram into my SABERTOOTH motherboard it worked perfectly @ 1600MHz and Optimal Timings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I was actually thinking along the same lines, 2timer. A speaker plugged into the proper header should tell you for sure Slick5150.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I was actually thinking along the same lines, 2timer. A speaker plugged into the proper header should tell you for sure Slick5150.

Normally I might agree, but shouldn't it get to a point where it would at least beep? I mean, it literally powers up for less than a second before shutting down. That doesn't seem like a post problem to me, it seems like a bigger problem? Or could that still be due to potentially incompatible RAM?

I did try a 2nd set of RAM, but they were both different varieties of Crucial Ballistix Sport sets.

Appreciate the input

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Usually when I see (or hear about) a system the powers on and back off so quickly like that, it means incompatible hardware, a short somewhere, or a bad power system (including a bad power supply or missing connection).

Edit: but I will add that I have seen systems just sit there with incompatible hardware, fans spinning at 100%, so the other two have the best shot of being your problem.

Last edited:

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Usually when I see (or hear about) a system the powers on and back off so quickly like that, it means incompatible hardware, a short somewhere, or a bad power system (including a bad power supply or missing connection).

Edit: but I will add that I have seen systems just sit there with incompatible hardware, fans spinning at 100%, so the other two have the best shot of being your problem.
I Agree with Ketchup on this.you could also disconnect the HDD and see if you get to bios.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I Agree with Ketchup on this.you could also disconnect the HDD and see if you get to bios.

I've disconnected everything and still get nothing. I guess I can try to find another set of RAM and give that a shot... Not sure what else it could be other than a bad MB or CPU?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Not sure what else it could be other than a bad MB or CPU?

800px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

After all that help and you're still not sure what else it could be except the motherboard or CPU? This is why I rarely reply to people here, you tell them something straight up and down and it's like your words bounce off their eardrums or something.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
800px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

After all that help and you're still not sure what else it could be except the motherboard or CPU? This is why I rarely reply to people here, you tell them something straight up and down and it's like your words bounce off their eardrums or something.

Relax. I've stated I've either already tried, or am going to try everything people have suggested here, including yourself.

Things I've already done:
Tried booting with motherboard out of case
Unplugged all drives/peripherals
Swapped PSU
Tried different type of RAM (though similar, both Crucial Ballistix)
Reseated CPU
Cleared CMOS

Things I am still going to try:
Find RAM on MSI's tested list
???

Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Update: Got new RAM, same problem. BUT, I tried again to take it out of the case and power it on, and this time it worked (not sure what I had it sitting on last time I tried that, weird).. Put it back in the case, no work. So, it's definitely shorting out in the case for some reason.

i checked and all the standoffs are in the right place and I don't see anything else that would be touching the MB while it's in the case. Even with nothing else plugged into the MB other than the CPU & RAM, it won't power on while in the case (fans spin for a split second and it shuts back down). Any ideas on what could be shorting it out?

Thanks!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't know that there is any way to tell without being there. But how are you powering it on when it is out of the case? If you are only using the case connectors (power, lights, etc) when it is in the case, and you don't see a problem anywhere else, it could very well be one of those connections having a short somewhere.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
I don't know that there is any way to tell without being there. But how are you powering it on when it is out of the case? If you are only using the case connectors (power, lights, etc) when it is in the case, and you don't see a problem anywhere else, it could very well be one of those connections having a short somewhere.
Agree with Ketchup.or you could have a bad wire on the psu(loose)

dragantoe

Oct 22, 2012
Update:

i checked and all the standoffs are in the right place

Thanks!

check again, because if there is a standoff touching the motherboard where there isn't a designated cutout, then it can sometimes prevent the system from starting, it happened to me with my first build

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001

I'm powering it on out of the case by sticking a pen in the power button pins. I do it the same way when I put it back in the case (I'm not hooking any of the case connectors back up) and it doesn't work. I'll check all of the standoffs again when I get home later.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It sounds like you are on your way to solving the problem. I've had case-to-motherboard issues myself several times, as well as stupid stuff like shorted out USBs and reset switches. I just wanted to clarify you also disconnected the video card and are using the IGP?

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
It sounds like you are on your way to solving the problem. I've had case-to-motherboard issues myself several times, as well as stupid stuff like shorted out USBs and reset switches. I just wanted to clarify you also disconnected the video card and are using the IGP?

Yep, there is literally nothing plugged into the motherboard other than the CPU/FAN and RAM. I've gone as far at this point as to put electrical tape on top of the standoffs and setting the motherboard down on that, and it still shorts out. I'm at a complete loss at this point as to what could be causing it considering it works out of the case, yet when I put it in, despite the fact that it's pretty much touching nothing, it shorts.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yep, there is literally nothing plugged into the motherboard other than the CPU/FAN and RAM. I've gone as far at this point as to put electrical tape on top of the standoffs and setting the motherboard down on that, and it still shorts out. I'm at a complete loss at this point as to what could be causing it considering it works out of the case, yet when I put it in, despite the fact that it's pretty much touching nothing, it shorts.

Probably just get a new case if you can't find the short. What case do you have now?

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Random thoughts....
One of the traces in the mobo may be cracked just enough that mounting it may flex the board just enough to cause it to not make full contact.
Maybe try not tightening the screws and see if it acts different.

Also, you'd could try lining the entire footprint of the mobo area in the case with plastic like a cutout piece of trash-bag to insure that nothing is shorting out, instead of just around the standoffs.

And what the heck, just for kicks, if it was me, i'd remove the I/O back-plate and test without it just to be sure im trying everything i can think of.

I'd also try not mounting the PSU in the case and just sitting it beside it and test that way also.

All while not using any case front connectors as you mentioned you are not doing and just shorting the pins to power on. ( a long jumper comes in handy for this, so if you ever come across one, on an old dead mobo, keep it for these situations/testing)

Last edited: