update: new geforce beta drivers 301.25

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
update: 301.25 beta, looks like GTX680 specific

Guru3D thread and download

The new NVIDIA GeForce 301.24 beta drivers are now available to download. An essential upgrade for all GeForce users, these drivers enable NVIDIA FXAA, NVIDIA Adaptive VSync, and NVIDIA Frame Rate Target on all GeForce 8-series and later GPUs and also add new NVIDIA Surround features for all Surround-capable GPUs. Also included are numerous performance improvements for top titles, new SLI profiles, and new 3D Vision profiles.

Download

Source

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Looks to only really add support for the 500 and below series. The patch notes rarely list the 600 series at all.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
These was terrible drivers for me. Actually gave my first BSOD in years and fails to install no matter what i try.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks OP, had no problems, tried the adaptive V-sync in AVP and Heaven. Have to do some more reading. Performance seems fine.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I was testing adaptive V-sync and then figured I check out what settings in Nvidia Inspector I could use in conjunction.
Well I saw new settings under the Frame Rate Limiter setting.
There are of course FPS targets and also temperature #'s. That intrigued me, so I set it at a low value 60c.
With my cards o/c and in SLI, I fired up the AvP benchmark. It works perfectly as advertised and the performance was smooth/excellent. It's a cool feature , that I'm not sure what it will be useful for. But figure I'd let people know.

NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.6.3
http://www.freewarefiles.com/NVIDIA-Inspector_program_61405.html

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Would the adaptive vsync be better than vsync + triple buffering using D3DOverrider? I've never really noticed lag of any sort using it either.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Would the adaptive vsync be better than vsync + triple buffering using D3DOverrider? I've never really noticed lag of any sort using it either.
Yes, it would for the purposes of input lag. D3DOverrider just forces a 3rd buffer in the flip chain; it stabilizes the framerates, but it introduces 1 frame of input lag.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
finally a nice simple way to get rid of jaggies in games like Dead Space.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, say if I wanted to use FXAA in something like WoW (or really any game), I just enable FXAA in the nVidia control panel and disable any AA in-game (if the game has any)?

I've just been using what the game provides me since I bought this GTX 680. :p

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Good drivers. Skyrim performance went up (as in the release notes) by a few FPS. Most other improvements in the notes are for SLI.

CTA4LC4PON3

Jul 21, 2009
im going to try these tomorrow after my Plextor M3 comes in since I gotta reinstall windows anyways

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So, say if I wanted to use FXAA in something like WoW (or really any game), I just enable FXAA in the nVidia control panel and disable any AA in-game (if the game has any)?
Yes, but if you really wanted to you can use in-game AA too since FXAA is a post-filter. The IQ effects and performance hit would then stack.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
What happened to the ability to force regular AA (SGSSAA or MSAA) with all DX10 UT games? I heard it wasn't possible starting with a certain series of drivers (I forgot which ones)... so was it fixed with the 301s? I haven't played any UT3 engine games with them yet so that's why I asked.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Ok i got it to work finally. For some reason it would not uninstall the old driver first like normal.

Orcs must die with FXAA is pretty damn impressive. Was not even noticeable fps drop. I don't notice much a difference in other games with it on i guess because nothing comes close to me in my face like.

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Yes, it would for the purposes of input lag. D3DOverrider just forces a 3rd buffer in the flip chain; it stabilizes the framerates, but it introduces 1 frame of input lag.

If 1 frame of input lag is really an issue, simply disable vsync altogether for much more responsive gameplay (critical for fast-paced twitch games like online fps or racing games). Tearing will be present (just like whenever the adaptive vsync is running at a lower fps), but ameliorated with higher refresh rates (edit: if you can afford a 120Hz monitor ).

Triple buffering with vysnc is is not that noticeable over "normal" double buffering vysnc, especially when comparing against disabled vsync. Moreover, many DX10/11 games automatically call for a triple buffer whenever vsync is enabled.

Also, to further minimize input lag (sometimes at the cost of lowering frame rate) is to reduce the maximum pre-rendered frames from default 3 to 0. IIRC, only Nvidia's offering this feature.. not that I'm a NV spokesperson! :p

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Where is this mythical 120Hz 2560x1600 IPS panel with an extremely wide color gamut? I will buy one.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
If 1 frame of input lag is really an issue, simply disable vsync altogether for much more responsive gameplay (critical for fast-paced twitch games like online fps or racing games). Tearing will be present (just like whenever the adaptive vsync is running at a lower fps), but ameliorated with higher refresh rates (edit: if you can afford a 120Hz monitor ).
I'm afraid you don't have that quite right. "Bad" triple buffering without v-sync still adds input lag and at the same time allows tearing. The point of triple buffering (well, "good" TB at least) is that you can run a game with v-sync without stalling the GPU due to a full back buffer, and with lower average input lag than double buffering with v-sync. If you turn off v-sync, you've completely defanged triple buffering - why have a 3rd buffer if you're just going to immediately buffer swap anyhow?

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005

Would I still get tearing with adaptive vsync? I can't stand tearing. For example, with vsync and triple buffering off in D3DOverrider, scrolling around the map on League of Legends is noticeably less smooth than when they're both on. I can't stand it, and it makes it harder to play. I've never noticed input lag from vsync or triple buffering, but I do notice a decrease in my personal gaming performance when they're turned off due it being less smooth. That, and the tearing/jerkiness/lack of smoothness with them off makes my 120Hz monitor purchase basically useless. I got it for butter smooth playback.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yes you will still get tearing with adaptive vsnyc when it drops below your refresh rate. and since your refresh rate is 120hz then you will still get the same amount of tearing in demanding games since there is no way you will be close to 120fps.

and I thought all 120hz monitor owners claimed they got little to no tearing?