Update: Lehman Liquidates Assets, Barclays Considers Purchase

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Evan and Dave wandered out of their sandbox, how cute.

You know what they say about arguing on the internet?

Yep, times like these brings out the SSM's (Selective Memory Members).

I'll leave them to their pwn misery.

Really? SSM=Selective Memory Members?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
Evan and Dave wandered out of their sandbox, how cute.

You know what they say about arguing on the internet?

Yep, times like these brings out the SSM's (Selective Memory Members).

I'll leave them to their pwn misery.

Really? SSM=Selective Memory Members?

yup! :D

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: sammyunltd
This is the end of Wall Street...

Death of New York as a financial capital..

Nice hyperbole, but you're fucking clueless.

No doubt ....

but just in case I think I'll polish up my Charlotte real estate for the market

:D

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Topic Title: Breaking: Lehman To File For Bankruptcy, Merrill To Be Bought Out
Topic Summary: A.I.G. And WaMu Still On Suicide Watch;

Wall Street Powerbrokers Meet To Avert Total Collapse

Who can save WaMu, Wachovia, Wells, AIG?

I don't see how they can avert 1929 Part II

LOL

Wachovia and Wells aren't going anywhere. Walk-all-over-yah may have paid way too much at the wrong time for Golden West but they will struggle through it.

And Wells? You better put down that bong ...

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
At the very least the executives will make it out with millions and millions of dollars. Please come in and tell me why they deserve the ENORMOUS compensation they get? Remind me again why?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Topic Title: Breaking: Lehman To File For Bankruptcy, Merrill To Be Bought Out
Topic Summary: A.I.G. And WaMu Still On Suicide Watch;

Wall Street Powerbrokers Meet To Avert Total Collapse

Who can save WaMu, Wachovia, Wells, AIG?

I don't see how they can avert 1929 Part II

LOL

Wachovia and Wells aren't going anywhere. Walk-all-over-yah may have paid way too much at the wrong time for Golden West but they will struggle through it.

And Wells? You better put down that bong ...

Every single large bank doesn't have to fail for their to be an economic catastrophe. Obviously some will survive.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Gov. Patterson just held a press conference to unveil a plan to help save AIG. Something about letting them be able to access 20B from subsidiaries. Not being a finance guy I don't know if that helps or not.

AIG Can loan itself 20B

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Washingon Mutual (WM) is down about 20% just today & is currently at $2.23 a share. I expect them to be the next casualty. Hey, any financial crisis that shakes out both Countrywide and WaMu is certainly not all bad.

Talking about Wells Fargo in the same breath as these basketcases is absurd though.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
"You know, there's been tremendous turmoil in our financial markets and Wall Street," McCain said at a Jacksonville, Florida event earlier Monday. "And it is, people are frightened by these events. Our economy, I think, still, the fundamentals of our economy are strong, but these are very, very difficult times."

Out of Touch

Someone else I know needs to put down the bong. Obviously the fundamentals aren't strong. :roll:

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
I don't think anything is going to happen to wells but who knows a few crashed banks could make us all miserable.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ohnoes
Originally posted by: alchemize
I don't feel sorry for them. Live by the outsourcing sword, die by it.

I don't think you understand the concept of 'outsourcing'. See, the key principal is the 'out' in 'outsourcing'. When you have immigrants working onshore and being paid an onshore rate, you're not 'oursourcing'. Rather, its called 'working' or 'being employed'.

Only a numbnut would read the situation as 'outsourcing', but i guess the fact that they were Indian threw you off huh? GG jackass.
I've been working with companies like Patni, Satyam, HTC, etc. for about 9 years now. I have a current arrangement that has 4 consultants onsite and a variable number in India. I sign the contracts, and sometimes I send them home.

Whether the do it in bombay or fly them in on a work visa, they are sourcing the jobs outside the company. OUTsourcing.

But let's reference Wikipedia, the great oracle of the modern world, shall we?

"Outsourcing involves the transfer of the management and/or day-to-day execution of an entire business function to an external service provider.[2] The client organization and the supplier enter into a contractual agreement that defines the transferred services. Under the agreement the supplier acquires the means of production in the form of a transfer of people, assets and other resources from the client. The client agrees to procure the services from the supplier for the term of the contract. Business segments typically outsourced include information technology, human resources, facilities, real estate management, and accounting. Many companies also outsource customer support and call center functions like telemarketing, cad drafting, customer service, market research, manufacturing, designing, web development, content writing, ghostwriting and engineering.

Outsourcing and offshoring are used interchangeably in public discourse despite important technical differences. Outsourcing involves contracting with a supplier, which may or may not involve some degree of offshoring. Offshoring is the transfer of an organizational function to another country, regardless of whether the work is outsourced or stays within "the same corporation/company[3][4].

Doh! Who's the dumbass?

/crickets

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
England comes to get Lehman scraps for pennies on the dollar:

9-16-2008 Barclays seen close to deal for Lehman assets

Barclays PLC will unveil a plan to acquire all or part of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.'s investment banking and trading operations as early as Tuesday, a person close to the talks said.

The deal could throw a lifeline to more than 9,000 Lehman employees whose future was uncertain after Lehman filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday. Lehman collapsed from massive exposure to risky real estate holdings.

The third-biggest British bank had withdrawn from weekend talks with Lehman Brothers about a possible outright acquisition. There have been reports that Barclays can pick up the assets it wants for about $2 billion to $3 billion.

The deal must get approval from the bankruptcy court.

A Lehman Brothers request to get initial approval of asset sales from a bankruptcy judge was postponed by one day to a hearing scheduled for Wednesday.

The delay was announced Tuesday ahead of the company's first hearing in its bankruptcy case. A request to obtain loans to operate while in bankruptcy was also postponed.

A court official did not specify the reason for the delay. The Tuesday agenda had included a motion to start the process of selling certain assets.

The hearing was held at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York, before Judge James Peck.

Also on Tuesday, the House Oversight and Government Reform committee said it would hold a hearing Sept. 25 to examine the "regulatory mistakes and financial excesses" that led to Lehman's bankruptcy filing. It asked Lehman Chief Executive Richard Fuld to testify before the committee.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Hey guys, no need to worry about this. McCain says the fundamentals of the economy are strong.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Mani
Hey guys, no need to worry about this. McCain says the fundamentals of the economy are strong.

No need for sarcasm, things look great right now!

:koolaid;

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: AnnonUSA
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: AnnonUSA
It's Helter Skelter! and it's coming down fast....

The New World order is beginning....

Anything real to add?

Yeah, this is real Scary.

What is hysterical is how the Fed is being seen as keeping it all together "during the crisis".

Too bad it is the policies of the fed that helped create the problems in the first place. So here we go, further devaluation of the dollar, record inflation coming....

Don't unbuckle your seat belts the rides not over yet....

if anything, the fed is preventing deflation from occurring.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Thump553
Originally posted by: Craig234
Hm, I have two FDIC insured accounts at WAMU, wonder if I should reconsider that.

Craig, if you are within the FDIC limits you have absolutely nothing to worry about regarding the safety of those accounts.

Just saying thanks for you responding, and I'll repeat my clarification that what I mean to ask is, if WAMU goes down, is the headache of dealing with FDIC an issue?

Why don't you just take your money out now rather than having to wait to find out? Is it really worth it?

my banking prof told me that when the fdic takes over a bank, you basically are just given a new account in some other bank with your amount of money in it.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
Fannie Mae
Freddie Mac
Bear Sterns
Lehman Brothers
Merrill Lynch
Washington Mutual (hasn't happened yet)
A.I.G. (Hasn't happened yet)

I'm not a great financial/economic historian... is this as bad as it's been since 1929?

87 was probably still worse i think

also you missed indymac

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007
Originally posted by: ohnoes
I don't feel sorry for them. Live by the outsourcing sword, die by it.

I don't think you understand the concept of 'outsourcing'. See, the key principal is the 'out' in 'outsourcing'. When you have immigrants working onshore and being paid an onshore rate, you're not 'oursourcing'. Rather, its called 'working' or 'being employed'.

Only a numbnut would read the situation as 'outsourcing', but i guess the fact that they were Indian threw you off huh? GG jackass.
I've been working with companies like Patni, Satyam, HTC, etc. for about 9 years now. I have a current arrangement that has 4 consultants onsite and a variable number in India. I sign the contracts, and sometimes I send them home.

Whether the do it in bombay or fly them in on a work visa, they are sourcing the jobs outside the company. OUTsourcing.

But let's reference Wikipedia, the great oracle of the modern world, shall we?

"Outsourcing involves the transfer of the management and/or day-to-day execution of an entire business function to an external service provider.[2] The client organization and the supplier enter into a contractual agreement that defines the transferred services. Under the agreement the supplier acquires the means of production in the form of a transfer of people, assets and other resources from the client. The client agrees to procure the services from the supplier for the term of the contract. Business segments typically outsourced include information technology, human resources, facilities, real estate management, and accounting. Many companies also outsource customer support and call center functions like telemarketing, cad drafting, customer service, market research, manufacturing, designing, web development, content writing, ghostwriting and engineering.

Outsourcing and offshoring are used interchangeably in public discourse despite important technical differences. Outsourcing involves contracting with a supplier, which may or may not involve some degree of offshoring. Offshoring is the transfer of an organizational function to another country, regardless of whether the work is outsourced or stays within "the same corporation/company[3][4].

Doh! Who's the dumbass?

/crickets

I suppose it was my fault for assuming that you would be able to infer a key point. Here is the key inference that 500GMAT scrubs would have gotten: They WORKED at Lehmans. If they were external consultants, they wouldn't be out of a job because get this, they don't work for Lehmans. Instead, they'd go back to their consulting firm and onto another project.

The only reason you assumed that it was outsourcing was because they were Indian.

You can argue until you're blue in the face, but bottom line is you made a dumbass snap judgement, and got called out for it.

And as a curious question, what 'external service provider' did Lehman outsource to? the Indian race? I guess if you're dumb enough, you could think of race as an 'external service provider' where white = insource & non-white = outsource.

sammyunltd

Jul 31, 2004
Why is Lehman accepting their offer. It looks like they don't care the company's going to lose its American identity for good...