Update Homeowner Guns down girl chasing her in back alley she said she was pregnant

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
So he didn't shoot her in 'cold blood' in the alley after all :hmm:

Where are all the people calling him a murderer and demanding his perpetual incarceration?

Come back and eat some crow.

Maybe next time you won't be so quick to side with the low life criminals over a citizen defending himself and his property.

We can only make judgments based on the information we have at the time, and the initial reporting pointed squarely to murder....

Wish I could shake this man's hand. Putting criminals where they belong. In a grave :)

Death should never be a cause for celebration.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
We can only make judgments based on the information we have at the time, and the initial reporting pointed squarely to murder....

That is part of the problem. The initial information is never complete or even accurate. Reasonable people will recognize that and not make any judgments until all the facts are in.

Certainly won't stop people from speculating but lets not judge before we know what we are talking about.

And there is no reason to celebrate anyone's death. But this woman made a choice and death was the result.

Nov 30, 2006
“Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand... prejudice, fear and ignorance walk hand-in-hand.” - Peart

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014

So hitler...mussolini...Kim Jong ill..God I'm such an idiot. And here I was happy they were gone. Shame on me.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I do not care if you were born with 5 legs and 6 eyes and no ears.

If you break into my home you will be shot no matter of your physical/mental or pregnancy status.

Nov 30, 2006
So you would hang out with them and give them your safe and tv and couch.
Nope and I can't believe that's what you got from the quote I posted. It was in reference to many in this thread who quickly jumped to conclusions based on limited or inaccurate "facts". You know...Michael Brown syndrome.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nope and I can't believe that's what you got from the quote I posted. It was in reference to many in this thread who quickly jumped to conclusions based on limited or inaccurate "facts". You know...Michael Brown syndrome.

90% of the time there is enough "fact" to get the point that these people are not exactly cream of the crop, and their disregard for other peoples lives means that we should feel nothing for theirs.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
So hitler...mussolini...Kim Jong ill..God I'm such an idiot. And here I was happy they were gone. Shame on me.

Killing can be necessary, but should not be celebrated. It should be a solemn affair that recognizes the gravitas of situation.

(Also, Godwin's law...)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Killing can be necessary, but should not be celebrated. It should be a solemn affair that recognizes the gravitas of situation.

(Also, Godwin's law...)

That's what happens when the law abiding feel that criminals don't receive real justice. If sent to jail they get released early, if they even get convicted at all. If you shoot and only wound them the person defending themselves gets sued by the criminal. Essentially shooting the criminal and making damn sure they're dead is the only way people feel like true justice can be achieved. And if it takes a dead person to ensure the old guy doesn't get assaulted and robbed for a 3rd time or more, then I'm not truly sad about that at all.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
That's what happens when the law abiding feel that criminals don't receive real justice. If sent to jail they get released early, if they even get convicted at all. If you shoot and only wound them the person defending themselves gets sued by the criminal. Essentially shooting the criminal and making damn sure they're dead is the only way people feel like true justice can be achieved. And if it takes a dead person to ensure the old guy doesn't get assaulted and robbed for a 3rd time or more, then I'm not truly sad about that at all.

1. There is a big difference between not being sad and celebrating.

2. We already incarcerate way more of our population than any other first world country. How can you claim that our criminals don't receive "real justice"?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
1. There is a big difference between not being sad and celebrating.

2. We already incarcerate way more of our population than any other first world country. How can you claim that our criminals don't receive "real justice"?

It's not like we're throwing a party for the death, we just aren't going to mourn whatsoever and are glad a violent criminal is not longer able to harm others. That's worth celebrating.

And yet with all that incarceration this same guy has been attacked multiple times by the same people. Seems that locking record numbers of people up for victimless crimes like MJ isn't doing much to help the common citizen feel safe.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
oh, more details leads to more WTF

Greer picked up a gun from his bedroom and fired at the pair as they fled from his home office, prosecutors said. After Miller was struck, she fell once near his garage, then fell again in an alley near the home.

Greer dragged Miller's body into his garage in an attempt to lure her accomplice, authorities said. Once Gus Adams returned, prosecutors allege he stole Greer’s gun and phone before hopping into a getaway car driven by his mother.

Gus Adams was charged with five felony counts in connection to the Bixby Knolls break-in: murder, grand theft of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a felon, and first-degree robbery and burglary.

His mother was charged with first-degree residential burglary and first-degree residential robbery.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-no-charges-home-burglary-20150126-story.html

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Being a pregnant criminal has no bearing on the case. Once criminals try to kill you it moves from a home invasion to attempted murder. How does he know they will not come back and finish the job???

I think anyone that breaks into someone's house and brandishes a gun should get an automatic death penalty.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
No charges...well except the murder charge for the accomplice to the robbery.

http://abc7.com/news/no-charges-for-homeowner-in-killing-of-long-beach-burglar/492189/
Good news.

That is a proper charge. Old man should get a charge too, but should be pled out to probation or a short house arrest just to have it on the books that the state doesn't agree with executing robbers in a back alley.
I'm with MongGrel, the old man should get a medal for his service to society.

Disagree. He removed one horrible, violent criminal from society, and will hopefully remove two others for long sentences.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

If you're concerned that criminals are not being adequately punished by the justice system, then you should work with the appropriate government officials to make sure they aware of and addressing your concerns.

While self defense is frequently justified (as in this case), vigilantism is never justice.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Nope, extenuating circumstances exhonerate the guy in this case. He's 100% in the right and I hope they don't charge him.

Maybe this will help keep future cases of elder abuse or people praying on the elderly from happening.

So executing an injured woman outside of your home who is no longer a threat to you is ok in your book?

You're fucking insane.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

We have the largest prison population in the entire world by FAR and thats both total and per capita. We have 5% of the worlds population and 50% of the worlds prisoners.

Seems to me that we are really really fucking good at putting people in jail, as this guy is going to soon find out.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So executing an injured woman outside of your home who is no longer a threat to you is ok in your book?

except that's not what happened

Seems to me that we are really really fucking good at putting people in jail, as this guy is going to soon find out.

wrong again. DO you even read the thread?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
That is part of the problem. The initial information is never complete or even accurate. Reasonable people will recognize that and not make any judgments until all the facts are in.

Certainly won't stop people from speculating but lets not judge before we know what we are talking about.

And there is no reason to celebrate anyone's death. But this woman made a choice and death was the result.

His quote was what got me, if accurate he admitted his guilt.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This sums up my feelings perfectly.

And, since someone may bring it up: I have no issue with the disparity of the charges: the accomplice premeditated the crime. The victim/defendant in question did not.

So the couple, if they were smart and up to speed on your view of the law, should have flat out killed the old man in the first place. I mean why the hell not?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
except that's not what happened

According to the guys quote from the story in the OP, that's what he said happened.

wrong again. DO you even read the thread?

Nope, read the op. Don't have that kinda time, want to give me the short version?

edit: ugh, always get drawn into the necro threads and never check the dates. I was just going by the quote attributed to the guy in the op, if new evidence has been released since and he didn't really say that then it changes everything.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
if new evidence has been released since and he didn't really say that then it changes everything.

txt, sources upthread.

Greer picked up a gun from his bedroom and fired at the pair as they fled from his home office, prosecutors said. After Miller was struck, she fell once near his garage, then fell again in an alley near the home.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

You're fucking insane.

Executing a criminal who has no hesitation in assaulting an eighty-year old man and stealing from him is okay in my book.

This is murder, but it's more than justified. Hopefully the old guy gets only probation. Need more of this scum removed from society.

rpsgc

Sep 22, 2004

Seems like a case of premature... outrage.

I think there are pills you can take to take care of that issue.

And it's funny you should say he's 'insane'. You're crying over a dead violent criminal and he's the crazy one? HA HA HA HA

Last edited: