Update Homeowner Guns down girl chasing her in back alley she said she was pregnant

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I wouldn't have blamed him if he shot her in his own home, as that would have clearly been self defense. But she and her partner fled after he got the upper hand on them. He proceeded to chase them into the back alley shooting. He wounded her where she fell to the ground. When he caught up with her she begged for her life and told him she was pregnant and at that point he shot her again point blank killing her. He is guilty of murder now. She wasn't a threat to him once they fled to the back alley, she certainly wasn't a threat to him when she was wounded on the ground begging for her life. As much as I abhor thieves this guy just wanted vigilante justice. One thing I think is interesting in our country is he is a white guy living in a very upscale neighborhood in California. We have people of color who get put in jail for far less, like the woman who fired warning shots in the air at her ex-husband who beat her and tried to kill her in her own home. She is facing possibly 60 years in prison and she didn't even shoot at her ex husband. This old guy shuffles around acting like he is all wounded and people think awwww... poor guy he had every right to kill her, but I totally disagree.
------------------------------------------------------------

News link here

A Long Beach homeowner has no regrets after shooting and killing a woman who said she was pregnant after he got into a confrontation with her and another man who were ransacking his sprawling home.

Tom Greer, an 80-year-old retiree, arrived to his upscale Bixby Knolls neighborhood Tuesday night to find a couple in the middle of a late-night break-in.

"When I went in there, they tackled me," Greer told NBC4 Wednesday. "Both of them jumped up on top of me."

The intruders, a man and woman, may have underestimated Greer, he said, as they ransacked his safe and yanked the door open right in front of him.

The intruders threw Greer to the ground, but they didn't know he'd gotten his .22-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver.

"I come back and they see me with a gun, and they run," he said.

The man escaped, but the woman fell after being struck by Greer's gunfire in an alley behind the house.

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!' And I shot her anyway," Greer said.

When asked what he saw happen to the woman after he fired shots, Greer responded: "She was dead. I shot her twice, she best be dead ... (The man) had run off and left her."

"I've never in my life shot anybody, killed anybody," Greer said.

Greer was being treated at the hospital Wednesday for a severe shoulder and collarbone injury, but he hoped to send a warning to the man who got away.

"I shot her so that's going to leave a message on his mind for the rest of his life," Greer said.

Long Beach police said they were investigating the incident. It was not immediately clear whether any charges would be filed against Greer for the shooting.

"Investigators have to look at both sides of this coin," said legal analyst Royal Oakes. "On the one hand a frail man in his 80s is being attacked in his own home by intruders, he has a right to self-defense. On the other hand, he did shoot a person who was trying to get away, so he wasn't in imminent danger himself and the law says you can't shoot somebody under those circumstances."

UPDATE: 7/26/14 The Coroner did an autopsy of the girl and concluded there was no pregnancy. The DA is still deciding if charges should be filed, and has not made a decision yet, but looks like it is leaning toward not filing charges.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Wtf? The girl coudn`t outrun a 80 years old guy?

No she couldn't outrun an 80 year old man's bullet.
I feel for the old man, I really do. He was attacked, he was injured. But he just straight up executed that woman, and that's murder.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
This is probably murder if it happened as described.

There are no "warning shots," she left, retrieved a handgun and returned. The relationship was mutually abusive. She broke a restraining order, repeatedly if I recall correctly.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Something does not sound right. based on the story as written, I would tend to agree with the OP, probably not a case of self defense if they robbers are in a back alley running a way.

But the story does not make clear at all where the shots were fired. For example, were the shots fired while the robbers were in the house and then ran into the alley where the woman fell or were they in fact running away in the alley, the guy runs after them and shoots the woman twice.

Also, where are the entry/exit wounds. If entry wounds in the back, then it is likely they were running away. If not, then may be a case for self defense.

The story also is not clear about the second shot. It appears he shot the woman twice then she fell. But it could be read almost as if he shot her once, and then a second time while she was on the ground.

Yet another badly written "news" story.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Nope, extenuating circumstances exhonerate the guy in this case. He's 100% in the right and I hope they don't charge him.

Maybe this will help keep future cases of elder abuse or people praying on the elderly from happening.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Something does not sound right. based on the story as written, I would tend to agree with the OP, probably not a case of self defense if they robbers are in a back alley running a way.

But the story does not make clear at all where the shots were fired. For example, were the shots fired while the robbers were in the house and then ran into the alley where the woman fell or were they in fact running away in the alley, the guy runs after them and shoots the woman twice.

Also, where are the entry/exit wounds. If entry wounds in the back, then it is likely they were running away. If not, then may be a case for self defense.

The story also is not clear about the second shot. It appears he shot the woman twice then she fell. But it could be read almost as if he shot her once, and then a second time while she was on the ground.

Yet another badly written "news" story.

There are several news reports on this here is a quote here where she and her partner fled the house, he is interviewed several times and claims they ran out of his house and he pursued: Quote: "The man escaped, but the woman fell after being struck by Greer's gunfire in an alley behind the house".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Be surprised if he wasn't charged with murder. Chasing somebody into an alley and then shooting them while clearly not a threat anymore isn't self defense anymore.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I feel for the old man, I really do. He was attacked, he was injured. But he just straight up executed that woman, and that's murder.
This
There are no "warning shots," she left, retrieved a handgun and returned. The relationship was mutually abusive. She broke a restraining order, repeatedly if I recall correctly.
Pretty much but the spin cycle is in high gear.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
first shot understandable self defense, second shot pre-meditated murder.

all depends. if you fire 5 rounds because you're shooting until the threat has stopped, that's different than shooting say...2 shots and downing someone, then putting a bullet in their head for the 3rd.

people aren't aimbots, just FYI.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This just like the pharmacist that executed the robber after he was on the ground shot.
Pretty much but the spin cycle is in high gear.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Shitty situation. I don't feel bad for the woman at all, anyone who would assault an 80 year old man in his own home is a scumbag the world doesn't need. Yeah, technically it's murder, but I can't say I blame the guy.

We obviously can't have people endlessly pursuing someone who wronged them, at some point a victim should be expected to stop chasing. It just seems wrong that we should teach this kind of trash that they're allowed to attempt crimes, and when it doesn't go well cry Olly Olly Oxen Free as they run away.

Last edited:

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I wonder what stance the man took on abortion :p

No person, no matter how victimized, should be allowed to enact revenge as judge, jury, and executioner. That's a really awful precedent to support.

Im with this guy on this one. seems like there is more to the story that cant be divulged to the public and is being outrageously spun into a controversial topic.

The guy admits that he chased her, shot her, she pleaded for her life, and he shot again. Unless you're saying his comments have been fabricated it really doesn't get any more clear cut than this.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
A good lawyer would have this guy walking away from any charges IMHO without much effort.

Maybe there was a slim chance that a good lawyer could have spun it into something else had he gotten the man to put the story differently. But his testimony is on record now and it's an outright admission of a pretty serious crime.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Maybe there was a slim chance that a good lawyer could have spun it into something else had he gotten the man to put the story differently. But his testimony is on record now and it's an outright admission of a pretty serious crime.

In the commission of a robbery who is responsible for any deaths that occur? Is it the the victim or the robbers?

Edit: Again, I think a good lawyer could put the onus of responsibility on the robbers for the death that occurred but again you have a point about his admission and how that would complicate matters.

Last edited:

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Do you see a common thread in all these threads? Homeownership.

End homeownership, it is not a constitutional right per se, unlike the second amendment which absolutely is.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
In the commission of a robbery who is responsible for any deaths that occur? Is it the the victim or the robbers?

Edit: Again, I think a good lawyer could pui the onus of responsibility on the robbers for the death that occurred but again you have a point about his admission and how that would complicate matters.
Vic kills one of two robbers then the second robber. Maybe they will catch and charge the guy with murder too.:thumbsup: