UPDATE: DX11 AND hi-res texture pack Crysis 2 available NOW!

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
looking at the pics showing the differences, honestly, i'm not impressed.
I mean obviously its a bit improvement in some of the detail, but overall, all things considering, i'm not impressed.

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
*sigh*

I sure hope BF3 brings more to the table. This series really has seemed to swing over to the console side of things. Such a shame, it could have been so much more.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Wouldn't mind to see some benches as well. Unfortunately I don't think this game still has any sort of functional included universal benchmark.

Letdown of the year imo.

Going to download and do some comparisons, hopefully this update will bring this game at least on par, and possibly beyond the visuals of the original game.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The links don't work, it's "common" knowlegede on all the sites that have threads about it.

Nice job OP, testing the links *chough*

/topic
Too little to late, you cannot use tesselation to save a bad console port.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
There are definitely some noticeable differences (esp. on that building wall and with POM on the ground). The problem is you can't get Crysis 2 on Steam now. Going to wait until it's <$10 in retail.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
This is the kind of game where stuff like this doesn't matter as much, IMO. I'm too busy running around killing things and following waypoints to take time to look around. For this kind of game, the visuals were good enough for me to pass by when running around. I didn't stand around and look at shadows, lights and textures, I played the game.
In games where the environment means more, such as Oblivion style games, I'd be interested.
I'm sure as hell not going to download and install this stuff and do another playthrough for some tesselation and other effects.

WMD

Apr 13, 2011
http://www.mycrysis.com/dx11

Two separate patches, one for hi res textures and the other for DX11 / tessellation. I would love to get benchmarks from the community with various setups!

Tessellation on the alien structure and brick wall was quite subtle. Not sure if anyone will notice much in game.

POM is now a Dx11 feature? First anti aliasing in bad company. Now POM. Whats next? Removing shadows from Dx9 to promote Dx11?

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
To be fair, the POM implementation in Crysis 1 played havoc with Aniso and made things look like a blurry mess. I would assume DX11 POM solves that issue and hopefully makes it more efficient.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Tessellation on the alien structure and brick wall was quite subtle. Not sure if anyone will notice much in game.

POM is now a Dx11 feature? First anti aliasing in bad company. Now POM. Whats next? Removing shadows from Dx9 to promote Dx11?

The thing about anti-aliasing is that it's very hard to effectively implement in DirectX 9 along with a deferred lighting system like the one the Frostbite engine uses. That's also why Unreal Engine games often don't have anti-aliasing, but AA is one of the features highlighted in the recent DirectX 11 update to the engine. DirectX 11 makes deferred lighting + anti-aliasing easy.

WMD

Apr 13, 2011
The thing about anti-aliasing is that it's very hard to effectively implement in DirectX 9 along with a deferred lighting system like the one the Frostbite engine uses. That's also why Unreal Engine games often don't have anti-aliasing, but AA is one of the features highlighted in the recent DirectX 11 update to the engine. DirectX 11 makes deferred lighting + anti-aliasing easy.

Anti aliasing in Bad company 2 dx9 is already supported in the catalyst drivers long ago. Which is how i play the game all along. The AA quality is no different from dx11 mode. Dx11 mode has too much mouse lag and minor stuttering.

Deferred lighting does not mean AA is unworkable in Dx9. Batman AA using UE3 supports anti aliasing in game so does mirrors edge, bulletstorm...and many other titles.

I not trying to bash new technology but I find marketing of dx11 unconvincing at best and bordering on gimmicky.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I'll pass judgement once I've download, installed and played with the extra graphics features. But, seriously, we should've had all that stuff when the game out, regardless. I know Crytek didn't want to downplay the console versions so much, but it was a great way for Crytek to burn bridges with the people who actually cared about them the most, along with dumbing down the game design to accommodate weaker hardware.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
There are definitely some noticeable differences (esp. on that building wall and with POM on the ground). The problem is you can't get Crysis 2 on Steam now. Going to wait until it's <$10 in retail.

what happens if you bought it when it was available?

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Hi guys,

Below are the patch notes for Patch 1.9, this is also the patch that will enable DX11 Support (available via a separate download). We're aiming to have this patch live and available to you all next week. As always we're interested to hear your comments/thoughts on these changes so please post them below.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

https://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32220

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Just so nice of them isn't it? Pliz, I hope the game has subpar sales. Hopefully they'll think twice before putting their core gamers out in the cold. Everyone wants to cater to the console first... :(

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Anti aliasing in Bad company 2 dx9 is already supported in the catalyst drivers long ago. Which is how i play the game all along. The AA quality is no different from dx11 mode. Dx11 mode has too much mouse lag and minor stuttering.

Deferred lighting does not mean AA is unworkable in Dx9. Batman AA using UE3 supports anti aliasing in game so does mirrors edge, bulletstorm...and many other titles.

I not trying to bash new technology but I find marketing of dx11 unconvincing at best and bordering on gimmicky.

I didn't say it's unworkable, just hard to implement. Forcing it in the hardware control panel isn't the same as having it in the native rendering pipeline, and uses more graphical power. DirectX 11 just makes AA easier with deferred lighting. If you want examples of deferred lighting games without AA there's Mass Effect and BioShock.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
The links don't work, it's "common" knowlegede on all the sites that have threads about it.

Nice job OP, testing the links *chough*

/topic
Too little to late, you cannot use tesselation to save a bad console port.

Sorry I didn't catch that the website wasn't supposed to be live yet until after the fact. I don't own the game yet, so I didn't test out the links.