update: due to overwhelming opinion, I have already returned the item. I have ONE dead pixel on my laptop... they won't RMA it - should I return it?

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I have ONE dead pixel on my laptop... I called the manufacturer (KDS), and they won't replace it. Should I return it to the place of purchase?

The laptop in question was ALREADY a replacement unit for the one I bought (which couldn't charge up the battery).

The bad pixel is very annoying - it's almost directly in the center of the screen, and it's one of those "stays on all the time" kind.

I am leaning towards a refund at this time. I should've known better than to buy a POS korean crap

Oct 9, 1999
most manufacturers consider anything less than 8 pixels dead is not valid for an RMA.. so just return it.

I hate when there is a dead pixel.. it just stands out with a sign "hey look here"

blues008

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
Return it.

See if they let you open the laptop before getting a new one.

I didn't know KDS made laptops?

If you get your money back, get a Dell. IMO, I think you'll be happier :)

blues

AaronP

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
I say, if you pay that kind of money, (and anything over 500 bucks is that kind of money) then you should demand nothing less than perfection from your product. RETURN IT.

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah...return it, save some money and get one from a better firm, ie Dell, sony, toshiba,etc...

Return it. There is no excuse for having to stare at that dead pixel for as long as you own the laptop.

urameatball

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2001

<< Return it. There is no excuse for having to stare at that dead pixel for as long as you own the laptop. >>

yah, their excuse is their warrantee policy.

depending on the company, you must have anywhere from 2-10 defective pixels before they allow you to RMA the item.

you should have checked their warrantee policy beforehand... but if it's REALLY bugging you, you can try your luck and hope the RMA guy is in a GOOD mood.

SJ

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
All LCD monitors/laptops have dead pixels. Most have 3-5. Simply put, at the current time, the technology to have zero dead pixels is starting to come about, but just count yourself lucky you only have 1. When buying something like and LCD monitor or laptop ALWAYS ask to see the item(the actual one your buying) before you buy it to make sure the dead pixels aren't easy to see.

nEoTeChMaN

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a Active-Matrix LCD laptop for 4 years now. No dead pixels so far.

2-10 defective pixels policy is a LAME excuse.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Return it and buy another brand. If you've already gotten 2 lappys with problems, just think of what could happen down the road. I'd recommend an IBM or Toshiba for quality.

I made a similar mistake by buying a CTX laptop. Talk about a piece of crap...mostly little problems like keys breaking and batteries not charging. But when one of the RAM modules (yes, a factory one) melted, I knew it was time to toss that POS.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000

<< most manufacturers consider anything less than 8 pixels dead is not valid for an RMA.. so just return it.

I hate when there is a dead pixel.. it just stands out with a sign &quot;hey look here&quot;
>>

Heh, so make 7 more go byebye. ;)

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
My friend bought a Dell last year and right when he started it up for the first time he saw the dead pixel. He called up Dell and they told him that he can't RMA it for just a dead pixel.

I told him to crack the screen and blame it on shipping but he didn't like that idea :)

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
just returned it... nice thing buy.com gives you a pre-apid label for returns...

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
my HP has one always on pixel. Its in the top left corner though, i dont even notice it. Its just like trinitron lines. Oddly my trinitron monitor i noticed has a single spot that is always black, which i guess isn't bad for like 1 in 2 million when i run it at 1600x1200 . LCDs are very hard to make, on a 13&quot; screen 2-3 is the normal standard for being ok. by returning that laptop you are just making laptops more expensive for everyone else. and those more expensive laptops will still have 1-3 dead pixels so you aren't really solving anything. just being selfish now that i think about it