UPDATE Choppy game play at high fps in all games.

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
If any mods could delete my previous thread that would be awesome. I got much more information about the problem. Posted this on many forums and no one can find the fix for it.

A few days ago i noticed my all my games were choppy. Almost like they were running at lower frame rate but when i checked my frame rate it was fine. This happens in all games and is usually followed up by input lag. When more stuff is happening on screen the choppiness gets worse, but i still have high reported frame rate. I don;t know what to do...i have tried everything i can think of. Forcing v-sync in game and in the control panel does nothing to alleviate the issue. Fps is capped at 60 but is still choppy.

The issue is that games are incredibly choppy. The best way i can describe it is that when turning your screen you can see and *feel* as if frames are dropping, but they are not. Even when the fps is capped and it does not move. When lots of things are happening on screen the choppiness gets worse and there is more input lag.

It is such a weird issue, in all my years of pc building/troubleshooting i have not come across an issue as strange as this one.

Vsync on and off doesnt help. All my drivers are up to date. I tried unparking my cpu cores. I dont know if this is graphics card issue or something. Should i send it back and could it possible be because i dont have an SSD

PC Specs
Asus GTX 970 strix
1 stick of 8 gb ram
intel core i5 4690k 3.5 ghy quad core
1 TB HDD
Z97 gaming 5 MSI motherboard
650W PSU inter tech

I got this pc 5 days ago the first day the first game that i installed which was league of legends everything was amazing. The next day this issue appeared.

TNX for the help

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
perhaps a video driver issue? maybe roll back to an earlier driver?

perhaps it's the video card itself? check with gpu-z and see if it's overheating or too overclocked. is the card getting louder when playing games?

perhaps you have something running in the background that is interfering with gaming?

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Rolled back the drivers multiple times but it didnt work. Updated the drivers in many different ways with driver booster 2, i tried with nvidia geforce experience and i went on official nvidia website and i download drivers from there but nothing still the same issue. It could be that the graphics card has an issue. When im playing games like bioshock it gets to from 60 to 66 degrees. I did a fresh install of windows and almost nothing running on my pc right now so doubt that is the issue here. The card is getting louder in some game probably because fans starts to spin faster to control temperature of the card.

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Im back got some pretty interesting updates. First thing i did i went to league of legends i unchecked vsync again and now on my monitor appeared horizontal lines like waves. It was similar to this picture but they were more white and thickerhttp://imgur.com/sOL8DI1 this is probably the exact lines that i got except they were more white http://imgur.com/qdy2e0i
After that i re seated everything and i tried to launch league of legends again and it was still the same.
Then i ran a bench mark test and i got this results http://imgur.com/2r4akur
+
The waves also appeared while i was benchmarking.

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
The thing is when i turn vsync in league of legends back on the lines dissapear but they are still at benchmarking test. I think graphics card may be broken or my monitor or the cable or motherboard because the cable is connected to motherboard after all.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I would find another monitor and cable to test that theory. If it's still faulty, fully uninstall the drivers then reinstall. If it's still faulty, try another video card.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Could be a bad cable or connection point. I know a bad HDMI/DVI cable can cause extreme lag during gaming but you should also see strange/laggy mouse behavior on the desktop as well. Any way you can switch inputs on your card?

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Sabrewings.
I just set up another monitor. The monitor is 2 years older then this one that im using. The same thing happened, those lines appeared again. Sadly i only have one cable that i bought 1 week ago. The input of graphics card is DVI-D and DVI-I i have my cable plugged into DVI-I input. I rolled the drivers back and re-installed them i also formated the disk many times and re-installed windows. I dont know if i should send the card back it still has warranty though.

Alcoholbob
I could go to shop and they will replace the cable but i dont think it will make any differance because this cable is only 1 week old. My monitor has VGA input and my card has DVI-I and DVI-D input. I sadly have only 1 cable...

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
record video of gameplay and upload to youtube

if the same artifacts shows up in recorded video its not the cable or the monitor

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Yeah i recorded the gameplay but it takes 600 minutes to upload because of my internet ... But the issue still shows in video though...

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Just re-plugged everything and i even cleaned every components with air.

Alocholbob
I tested the the video on my laptop and i still saw the same thing i saw on my computer.
Iron Woode thats a great idea though i will look around if anyone has the same or similar card that i can borrow just to test it out but people probably wont give it because they are scared for it... When i tested it on my laptop the video still had stuttering issues but i didnt saw the lines

Any other ideas ? :\

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Just re-plugged everything and i even cleaned every components with air.

Alocholbob
I tested the the video on my laptop and i still saw the same thing i saw on my computer.
Iron Woode thats a great idea though i will look around if anyone has the same or similar card that i can borrow just to test it out but people probably wont give it because they are scared for it... When i tested it on my laptop the video still had stuttering issues but i didnt saw the lines

Any other ideas ? :\
where did you purchase the PC from?

maybe they can swap out the video card to see if the issue remains.

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Just inserted my old graphics card ati radeon 4650 HD in the case and i dont have any more of those horizontal lines and i still have that random tears if i have vsync off but when i turn it on it completely goes away.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well, you are down to the card and the driver. What OS?
Do you do any customizing of the drivers before you play?
I only tweak game settings from within the game itself, and have never run into issues like this.
Considering your temps stay good, I would look into having the card replaced.
Are your frames still dropping like there were in your other thread?

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
I just fixed the problem thanks to you ALCOHOLBOB!!!. Now i tried HDMI cable but my monitor doesnt support HDMI input so i needed to go plug it in the TV. I first tried DVI-I and VGA cable that i normally use the screen and the video was really bad i experianced the same thing as previously mentioned. But when i plugged in HDMI cable the sound was different the video completely changed the video was more pretty and high quality then before and also all the bugs that i have gotten before were gone. It wasnt the problem in graphics card after all im so stupid. Thank you so much to everyone who has been helping me fix this problem. Thanks again and have a great day

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Pretty much the thing is i tried HDMI cable but it was damaged probably i bought a new one everthing was fine then lol

John123123

Aug 21, 2015
Yeah i even go to the point that i would send graphics card back and they would not find anything wrong with card i would come up like a fool