Upcoming Radeon HD 6000 Series Is All-New Architecture

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I don't know why you guys are arguing with Wreckage.

When the 4850x2 was cheaper and faster than the GTX 285, Wreckage would say "dual GPU cards do not matter, only single GPU cards do". When the 5870 came out and the GTX 295 was a tad faster in half of the benchmarks, Wreckage would say "the only thing that matters is who has the performance crown, it doesn't matter if it is dual GPU or not and DX11 doesn't matter". When the 5970 came out, Wreckage would say "the only thing that matters is market share, it's obvious that whoever has the most market share has the best cards, whoever has the performance crown doesn't matter". And when the GTX 480 came out, Wreckage would say "the only thing that matters is the single GPU performance king, dual GPU cards do not matter and DX11 is the most important thing there is" And when it was realized that Nvidia is actually the new underdog when it comes to marketshare, Wreckage stopped saying marketshare was important.

:rolleyes:

but, but, PHYSX!! 3d vision!

seriously though, amd is clearly in the ascendant right now, hopefully they'll spend some time/money replacing CCC with something decent. you watch, wreckage's next point of attack will be nvidia's superior "user experience" because he's running out of options.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Im actually hoping this doesn't go on for too long. Just when AMD has their wallet nice and thick It would be good. I don't want either one of them to go out of business.

I don't think AMD's ever had their wallet nice and thick. Dancing on the edge of the cliff has been their S.O.P. for decades.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
That didn't make much difference. It did make some difference, I assume it would especially help at high AA/res. But from what I remember, once the 4850 was overclocked to similar core clocks as the 4870 it was within a few percentage often. I want to say something like within 5% of the 4870.
That's what I remember as well, which is why I got a 4850 instead myself.

What's the fun in sticking to rational conversations anyway? That's why you need someone like wreckage to fill the gap, so to speak :D He is a great asset to our forums.

I wonder what creative explanation he will come up with if I ask him why fermi lineup's price plummeted like a rock from the MSRP? Isn't that the the single best sign that these cards are NOT selling well, good ole supply and demand my friend? Good thing the etailers are dumping them for cheap so even a cheap bastard like me could afford one!

Is that your own work? If so, may I get from you post that in another forums, cuz I kinda like it :D

WHY WOULD YOU MAKE MIKU CRY???!!!!???
meh. I will take rin over miku anyday, thx :p

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
that's a very poor example to use. gtx 280 was a lot bigger than 9800gtx. 3870 to 4xxx is better analogy, much better performance without ballooning the gpu up into a shaq look-alike.

I posted the AT review a few posts back. If the 68xx out performs the 58xx like the 4850 out performed the 3870 I think you'll see people dropping their 5xxx hardware and Nvidia hardware in droves, if the price is right. That would be a very, very impressive upgrade for being built on an identical process.

We have a lot of info on the shaders, but we still don't know about the rest of the core. Same TMU's? Same number of ROP's? I'm pretty curious to see what the new GPU can do. I love new technology. :)

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Nobody on here knows the die size of the 6870 anymore than they know what the exact performance will be of the 6770.

Getting excited over an unreleased midrange product that has many unknown variables or assuming it will automatically be better than a current product is naive.

What does this even mean? Are you telling me a person can't get excited about products on the horizon?

Company X from my favorite RPG series just announced Game Y. I'm excited. Sure I don't have screen shots, character info, gameplay lay out, etc etc.

The only person being naive is the one trying to call others naive for being excited about their hobby.

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
What does this even mean? Are you telling me a person can't get excited about products on the horizon?

Company X from my favorite RPG series just announced Game Y. I'm excited. Sure I don't have screen shots, character info, gameplay lay out, etc etc.

The only person being naive is the one trying to call others naive for being excited about their hobby.

I agree. I get excited about the upcoming technology and I am not even likely to buy it. My trusty 4850 has served me fine and plays the things I play just fine. I only upgrade when I feel like I am missing something.

But I am still excited about the 6000 series cards from AMD, I am excited about Bulldozer, Bobcat, Intel's new chips and even the new OoO SOC for mobile phones that are coming out! When/if Nvidia releases their next cards, I will probably be excited about that as well.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Agreed...new architecture or not, same crap ATi driver team..LOL

Goodl troll post, I give you a 7.

That didn't make much difference. It did make some difference, I assume it would especially help at high AA/res. But from what I remember, once the 4850 was overclocked to similar core clocks as the 4870 it was within a few percentage often. I want to say something like within 5% of the 4870.

The HD 4870 had way more bandwidth that it could use, that explains why the performance gap isn't that great when is compared against a similar overclocked HD 4850. I saw recently an HD 4850 with GDDR5 on Newegg for $99.00, a nice card to do such comparisons again. :)

If the shader rework that it has been done with N.I. is the same rumours that has been floating around (two small stream processors and two fat stream processors), the design will be far more efficient and easier to keep busy. The Vec5 design was too wide.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Agreed...new architecture or not, same crap ATi driver team..LOL
Even though I know this is a troll post, I would really like ATI to do something to improve the CCC. It's functional enough for me, but I do miss some features from the nvidia control panel. ATI could do this to make the launch of the 6000 series even more compelling.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
He's just trolling around, did the same thing on other threads. I wondered what happened with him, he used to be a neutral person and when his Radeon card gave him issues, its experience was so traumatic, so badly that he can't recover and get back in time with the society, the trauma is just too great, he never will be the same, damn you AMD!!! for not making good drivers for your unsupported X1950 PRO AGP configuration!!!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Great hardware, piss poor drivers, story of ATI and now AMD...

Word has it they have the nvidia double agent narrowed down to one of two people on the driver team....Just a matter of time before he/she slips up! :)

I'm thinking that maybe they need to whack the unified driver thing....I'd think that it would be better for all if they at least did it by series as it seems like optimization would be better that way.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Because its true... ATI used to have horrible drivers before they came up with the Catalyst stuff with the 9700 Pro, but nowadays their drivers arent any worse than Nvidia, and at least they have a monthly schedule

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Good lord, people still bring this up? They cleared that up around 7 years ago. For the last few years, ATI's drivers have been far better than Nvidia's.

I know it takes a while to shake a bad reputation, but dang.

Edit - I can't wait for the new Radeons, my 4870 is showing its age. I want to replace it and move the 4870 down to one of my test machines.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Good lord, people still bring this up? They cleared that up around 7 years ago. For the last few years, ATI's drivers have been far better than Nvidia's.

I know it takes a while to shake a bad reputation, but dang.

Edit - I can't wait for the new Radeons, my 4870 is showing its age. I want to replace it and move the 4870 down to one of my test machines.

Solofly is an ATi convert..He has heaps of Radeons, just ask him about drivers...

Apr 20, 2008

When the 4850x2 was cheaper and faster than the GTX 285, Wreckage would say "dual GPU cards do not matter, only single GPU cards do". When the 5870 came out and the GTX 295 was a tad faster in half of the benchmarks, Wreckage would say "the only thing that matters is who has the performance crown, it doesn't matter if it is dual GPU or not and DX11 doesn't matter". When the 5970 came out, Wreckage would say "the only thing that matters is market share, it's obvious that whoever has the most market share has the best cards, whoever has the performance crown doesn't matter". And when the GTX 480 came out, Wreckage would say "the only thing that matters is the single GPU performance king, dual GPU cards do not matter and DX11 is the most important thing there is" And when it was realized that Nvidia is actually the new underdog when it comes to marketshare, Wreckage stopped saying marketshare was important.

:rolleyes:

Isn't this the truth...

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009

I've never had a problem with ATI drivers (yet!) but used to get the nvlddmkm.sys crash with Nvidia drivers all the time (although I suspect that may have been part Vista and part Nvidia's fault). Are most of the problems people get with ATI drivers on Crossfire or dual gpu?

I've been tempted to go Xfire but I suspect there are still problems.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Large increase in TMUs. Small increase in ROPs (40nm constraints).

Better for eye-infinity.
how do you have a "small increase" in ROPs? if the card remains 256bit then it would either be 32 like it is now or 64 for the next logical increase wouldn't it?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Large increase in TMUs. Small increase in ROPs (40nm constraints).

Better for eye-infinity.

I've seen that a single card now can support 6 monitors. That is pretty over the top though. Having the amount of choice in connectors is nice though with 2 DVI, 2 display port and the hdmi.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
I wonder what people do to have such terrible issues with drivers. The only real thing that really bugged the hell out of me driver-wise was defaulting to 60hz on my diamondtron (can't use refreshlock for vista/7, rivatuner didn't work) - something that either brand had trouble with. There were some minor tidbits like youtube videos crashing after awaking from sleep but I could totally live with those.

What is your story?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I didnt have issues with the driver on my 4850. It was that POS CCC. Once I uninstalled that piece of crap the 4850 ran perfectly for 18 months without a single crash.