Upcoming Radeon HD 6000 Series Is All-New Architecture

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Wow, AMD already has their next gen, while nVidia is still working hard with their interns on the driver team.

2 Questions.

Will the 6xxx feature a 5970 type ,, dual gpu single pcb ?

If not then will the highest next gen single GPU beat out the 5970 ?

Also on average how many watts of power does the card take at full load...

Looks like nVidiai got powned this year heading to next. I see their new gen sometimes in march or june LOLOLOL

Thanks

Outrage

Oct 9, 1999
Either way, I suspect if AMD did indeed have a new architecture they would be promoting it already. Just like they did with Fusion/Bulldozer/Cypress. They seem to always paper launch specs and die shots long before the product comes out.

When you are the leader in the gpu race with a one year old gpu that is still selling for more than the launch msrp, would you start hyping your next gen ?

amd is not in the same position that nvidia was when the green team showed of a fake board with wood screws holding it togheter....

you have a link to a die shot of cypress, i want to see one.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
Damn, I guess I bought my 460 at the wrong time. Oh well.

If the real-world performance lives up to the claims, Wreckage better start pushing PhysX like crazy, that's all he'll have left.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
When you are the leader in the gpu race with a one year old gpu that is still selling for more than the launch msrp, would you start hyping your next gen ?

You may want to check some benchmarks to see who the GPU leader is (here's a hint, it's not AMD).

So yeah, they may want to start hyping something. Besides I'm talking about how AMD has operated over the last few years. If they had something new, odds are they would be talking about in already.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You may want to check some benchmarks to see who the GPU leader is (here's a hint, it's not AMD).

This is ridiculous even by your standards.

5970 > GTX480 > 5870 > GTX470 > 5850 > GTX460 > ...

(I am ignoring last gen, though the GTX295 and 4870x2 would fit in there somewhere, they're both slower than the 5970 so they really don't matter as far as what I am responding to anyway.)

Last edited:

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
So yeah, they may want to start hyping something. Besides I'm talking about how AMD has operated over the last few years. If they had something new, odds are they would be talking about in already.

Who cares of how they had operated? As far as they can deliver products competitive on time, they have been executing very well since the HD 3800 series release, releasing cards with the latest technology in manufacturing process, great performance increase per generation with power consumption and die size in check, AMD CPU market may be isn't doing very well, but their Graphic division is beating nVidia soundly, 88% DX11 market share, ouch.

Last edited:

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Damn, I guess I bought my 460 at the wrong time. Oh well.

If the real-world performance lives up to the claims, Wreckage better start pushing PhysX like crazy, that's all he'll have left.

Well, you could sell it now before it drops in value and get a new HD 6000 series of card, but your GTX 460 1GB is a nice card (The only one that really worth it from nVidia).

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Of course they would.
Remember when they totally hyped the 4800 series, and then it launched and everyone was like "lame" and it totally didn't catch people buy surprise and didn't make NV slash their prices almost instantly?
Man, the hype around the HD4800 series was _intense_.

Outrage

Oct 9, 1999

It would be stupid to start talking about your next gen when your old gen is still selling for more than the launch price, i guess most ppl can understand that. And there is no need to argue with you about this.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Of course they would.
Remember when they totally hyped the 4800 series, and then it launched and everyone was like "lame" and it totally didn't catch people buy surprise and didn't make NV slash their prices almost instantly?
Man, the hype around the HD4800 series was _intense_.

Was the 4800 series a new architecture? Did it launch before the 2xx series? Was it faster than the 2xx series or have more features?

If anything your post enforces what I am saying.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Wreckage will you accept that amd makes faster video cards than nvidia? Can you acknowledge that hd5000 has outsold GTX400 8:1?

This is probably really really tough for you to do. Take a minute and a deep breath and come up with something good before you go on the ignore list. I'd like to read one last worth-while post from you.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I don't see how amd can finish the new design so quickly either.

AMD has been using multiple teams to design their GPUs. Remember GPU design takes 3+ years to complete. Therefore, a separate team was working on NI design while HD4000/5000 series were being launched. So it's highly possible that HD6000 will be an all new architecture, which just had to be scaled back a little due to 40nm process.

This definitely makes me more excited about HD6000 than before! :thumbsup:

If ATI is targeting 6750/70 to occupy $175-$250 space, then performance will likely be around GTX460 and maybe even encroaching on 5850/GTX470.

Last edited:

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
AMD has been using multiple teams to design their GPUs. Remember GPU design takes 3+ years to complete. Therefore, a separate team was working on NI design while HD4000/5000 series were being launched. So it's highly possible that HD6000 will be an all new architecture, which just had to be scaled back a little due to 40nm process.

Pretty sure NV does this as well. I remember reading during the Fermi debacle that NV actually had to pull all of the other teams in to work on the Fermi redesign when it became apparent that it wasn't going to be viable as it was originally designed.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Unlike nvidia AMD doesn't see a need for it. They get alot of free advertising already with the leaking information.

If you think the world would be a better place if AMD did all the viral marketing that nvidia does then you are wrong :)

Me I'd rather they take the putt up and stay shutup route! It worked with the 5xxx series and I'm sure it caught nvidia with it's pants down then as it will do now.

Why do you think the price slashing is going on with nvidia currently? Some kind of reward for the loyal fanboys?

The funny thing is at some point in time you may have to purchase a AMD based card to keep up with the times....Guess you could go the " I'm born again " route if needed.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Was the 4800 series a new architecture? Did it launch before the 2xx series? Was it faster than the 2xx series or have more features?

If anything your post enforces what I am saying.

The GTX 260+ and GTX 275 were twice bigger, higher power consumption during load and only matches the two times smaller and similar performance HD 4870/HD 4890 which had more advanced feature sets like DX10.1, Tessellation and a more sophisticated video processor (UVD), GTX 2x0 are only DX10, LOL and were based on the G92 (Identical on everything at the architectural level except slightly improved GPGPU performance tweaks)

If ATI is targeting 6750/70 to occupy $175-$250 space, then performance will likely be around GTX460 and maybe even encroaching on 5850/GTX470.

Yup, RV770 took 3 years to design, from 2005!!

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm sure most people want actual game benchmarks.

Either way, I suspect if AMD did indeed have a new architecture they would be promoting it already. Just like they did with Fusion/Bulldozer/Cypress. They seem to always paper launch specs and die shots long before the product comes out.

I believe you are confused about which company paper launched specs and die shots.

Paper launched specs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2849 (which even have shown to be false so far, Nvidia has yet to even release a part with the full paper launched 512 cores...)

Paper launched die: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2918

What you linked to was a preview of an upcoming architecture that will power a new API. Not a paper launch of anything.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Hay with a little help from you guys .lets find the pic of 6800 . I know its on the net. Because I seen it last week . But I wasn't interested in posting it here . But things have changed and If ya would lets see if we can't find that pic.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Hay with a little help from you guys .lets find the pic of 6800 . I know its on the net. Because I seen it last week . But I wasn't interested in posting it here . But things have changed and If ya would lets see if we can't find that pic.

fullscreencapture972010g.jpg

Two 6970s in Crossfire ? :D

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Amazing how some of you guys get all worked up over this "green team" and "red team" stuff. I just buy whatever is the best for me at the time I want to buy something. Brand loyalty is a marketers dream. Ask Apple.

Just buy whatever is good for you and who cares who makes it.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hurra for that! Do agree 100%

The thing is that, in correcting someone who is running around telling lies, normally wreckage, he says you are the liar. If you have enough people saying the above, you get what you coin as the red and green teams.

So its not so much a zeal on many peoples part to take sides, its more correcting the BS spewed out by a certain few.

We allow cussing in P&N and OT, not in the tech forums.

Moderator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Hurra for that! Do agree 100%

The thing is that, in correcting someone who is running around telling lies, normally wreckage, he says you are the liar. If you have enough people saying the above, you get what you coin as the red and green teams.

So its not so much a zeal on many peoples part to take sides, its more correcting the [redacted by moderator Idontcare] spewed out by a certain few.

Yup, I totally agree, lies can't be left uncorrected.

Last edited by a moderator:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
One possible reason for the change in the naming scheme is to allow higher pricing. Something called a 6770 would be expected to sell for the same price as a 5770, or be seen as a price increase on an already "overpriced" series.. Calling it a 6870 and selling it for ~$200 sounds a lot better.