Upcoming hidden gems you're excited for?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
With today's "next gen" coming up with clone after clone with the occasional bastard child lingering amidst the dust cloud of the clones coming off the assembly line, I've been looking at starting developers more and turning up quite surprised by what they are producing. It seems like the big names lost sight of quality and are only looking to make headlines which has given some really talented starting developers a chance to make something stand out and shine brighter than any AAA title being developed.

Personally, I'm only waiting for two games to come out and it feels like I've been waiting forever.

To start:

Starbound

If you haven't heard of this game, but you loved Terraria, Google it now. I can't count how many hours I put into Terraria (luckily Steam does that for me) just randomly digging, searching for loot, and building stuff I would only blow to hell later with massive stacks of dynamite. Terraria was insanely addicting and considering one of the lead devs "Tiy" broke away from Terraria to found Chucklefish Games (which is making Starbound), I can't help but completely ignore everything that can remotely be connected to E3 and "next gen" in anticipation of this game slowly nearing a release.

The only other game that isn't necessarily mainstream that I've been waiting for would be...

State of Decay

A lot of people have heard of this, but only because it was just released for XBLA on the 5th of June. However, considering the development of this game has been in the works for over a year, I couldn't help but feel really disappointed that they went with a XBLA release prior to the PC release. Still, with the devs claiming a PC release will hit before the end of this year, I can only wait patiently and occasionally glare at my disconnected 360 for finally having an exclusive (for now) that I've been waiting for since last spring. I still won't reconnect my 360 and dish out $20 for a purely online game, but it just irritates me knowing I could be playing the game instead of waiting...

Lastly, while I don't play it anymore, I feel I should mention one more - a dungeon crawler named Path of Exile. I must say it's an incredibly fun dungeon crawler with some really great aspects: it's free to play, it's not pay to win, it doesn't have an auction house, it has an incredibly large player-base for still being in open beta, and it's completely unique in its own right. The major downside to this game is your first two characters will hit a brick wall around level 40 - 50. Meaning, unless you are following a popular character guide from the start, expect to start over. If you are into games like Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, check it out. Besides, damn near everyone who plays it refers to it as the real Diablo 3, so if you're already a fan of Diablo 3, you might already hate this game without ever having played it.

Anyways, what other hidden gems are out there awaiting release? Hopefully this thread can shed some light on possible games that fans of certain genres may have never heard of before. Besides, I'm all for helping starting developers when they are actually putting effort into their games and if more people are aware of their games, they might get some extra funding to help make a great game even better.

I think I've said enough. Lets hear what other people have found lurking and being developed in the shadows.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I honestly can't think of one. I guess I'm somewhat looking forward to Minecraft getting open-sourced. Other than that, nothing that I've heard of really appeals to me. OTRSPOD 4 does, but it's out. I just need to pick it up.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well, Precipice of Darkness 4 just came out and I had no idea it was coming. I rather like the series.

I'm hoping that the Southpark game actually is going to come out sometime this year as well.

Otherwise..nah.not much. Aliens: Colossal Blunder and Bioshock Infinite were really the only games on my radar.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Shadowrun: Returns is coming out in 2 weeks.
Wastelands 2 in October.
I think that is it for this year. Other than that I'll probably play some games I already have in my Steam library.

Oh, I got into the Card Hunters Beta, and have been playing it the last few days. It has been fun. But it is a F2P, so I'll hold off judgement until I see how much you have to spend to enjoy playing it.

Aug 11, 2008
Unfortunately, nothing on the horizon has me excited either, except for COH2, which of course in not a "hidden gem". Maybe as someone else said, I will go back and play some older Steam games that I never finished. I would also like to play some of the newer AAA titles like FC3 and Crysis 3, but am waiting for a price drop.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Project Eternity, Star Citizen, Planetary Annihilation, and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Considering these games required crowd funding to achieve development, I consider all of them to be real gems. Especially Project Eternity!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Grim Dawn (Didn't buy in yet but it could be sweet)
Ancient Domains of Mystery (Bought in and loving every minute of the new prereleases)
Prison Architect (looks fun, plays well, wish it were cheaper and more developed)

Though, can any of these be classed as hidden? They certainly look like they are/could be/may be gems.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Divinity original sin is suppose to come out in November and there is age of wodners 3 in the fall as well as dead state.
-
a real dark horse is dragon commander which is suppose to come out Jul 2nd. my understanding it is a fantasy total war with heavy satire on politics.

fyi at E3 they did say southpark is comming out this holiday season but I'm leary now that ubi owns it.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It's out recently, but Gunpoint is amazing. Try the demo on Steam or the dev's site.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I was going to mention Gunpoint until I saw it on Steam the other day. That was another I had been following for a while and completely forgot about.

Also, Unepic is still pretty hidden as I don't think it's even hit Greenlight yet. Google it and check it out for any old NES-style action RPG fans out there. Really polished and pretty cheap too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There's a vampire game coming, 'Dark', don't know if it's good.

Magic 2014 is coming out this month.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I have high hopes for the DayZ standalone version (not sure if its a hidden gem), and try not to judge its potential based on the broken ARMA II mod.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If anything, I believe the broken Arma 2 mod gave Day Z most of its charm. The horrible controls and unpredictable AI made the encounters the most intense fights I've ever experienced in a game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
For the moment I'd say Planetary Annihilation. And the alpha (or beta?) access has started I believe, but I'll wait until the final version is released (but it's a day one purchase for me).

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Shadowrun Returns
A Bird's Story (from the creator of "To The Moon")

The others are just still to far into the future (at least several months away)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope, not even shadowrun.

If its fun and you guys like it I may play the game after school's summer semester is out.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Unepic just hit Greenlight on Steam. For all you old-school RPG fans, I highly suggest you check it out!

Plus, it's only $8 and they are adding a multiplayer mode just for Steam.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I don't have time to check when they're ready, but this is my list:

Witcher 3
Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
Planescape: ToN
Hero U

..and that cyberpunk RPG that is being made by CdProjekt Red

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Dying Light is what I'm waiting for.(Arrives March 31,2014).
(PC version in my case.)

(Seems like a Left 4 Dead/Mirror's Edge hybrid..Zombies + the first-person parkour.)

Think I might have to upgrade my GTX480 by then.