Upcoming Athlon64 improvements will include SSE3, improved memory controller, improved data prefech, and more

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Thought it was fairly interesting that the Athlon64 core revision will add SSE3 instructions in its upcoming Athlon64 core revision. It will also have some other improvements including added additional write-combining buffers, improved data prefech, and improved memory controller. I did not see this posted yet.

The link to article

Jason

jdogg707

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2002
Sounds good, I'm looking forward to my next upgrade, it will be a little more major than the original move from AXP -> A64.

Mustanggt

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
Originally posted by: formulav8
Thought it was fairly interesting that the Athlon64 core revision will add SSE3 instructions in its upcoming Athlon64 core revision. It will also have some other improvements including added additional write-combining buffers, improved data prefech, and improved memory controller. I did not see this posted yet.

The link to article

Me to, but theres no way I will pay 4 bills for a cpu, hopefully the new revision with smaller cach will be $200 and under

Jason

IPLaw

Mar 23, 2002
Since SSE3 adds improvements to hyper-threading, does this mean that AMD is adding Intel's original HT as well as the SSE3 enhancements to it?

NFactor

Sep 21, 2003
I doubt that they are adding HT but then again i have no idea. It is really surprising for AMD to add these extensions so quickly, it is perhaps one of the best moves they have made in a long time.

jdogg707

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: NFactor
I doubt that they are adding HT but then again i have no idea. It is really surprising for AMD to add these extensions so quickly, it is perhaps one of the best moves they have made in a long time.

Ya, not giving Intel any room to reap the benefits of their upcoming revision to the Prescott core.

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
I would think HT would provide less of a boost to the Hammer core, as it is specifically engineered to take advantage of the deep pipeline of the P4.

IPLaw

Mar 23, 2002
It would seem that you are right - HT should not offer a large improvement considering the short pipeline hammer core.

However, as of a few days ago, Hell just started freezing over . . . perhaps it's starting to snow?

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
SSE3 is probably a part of the cross-licensing agreement with Intel for x86-64. It also explains why Intel is releasing x86-64 compatible processors out so early. That's not fact but merely my theory.

-Por

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Yeah but when will real workstation class boards come out with PCI-X, support for at least 8GB ram and a real chipset solution from AMD???!

Cheers!

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Wow....My guess was that SSE3 would be implemented along the same timepsan that the others were (IE: REALLY REALLY REALLY long time ;) ) but i'm impressed! I hope they also try to improve their SSE2 implementation a little bit more.

But the x86-64 gamble is paying off handsomely :) Or lets hope it does ;)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Good competition is healthy.

I just hope that AMD can hold their ground when Intels equivilents come in..... Sooner or later, the more general population will see AMD as a worthwhile processor and not just disregard it as Im quite sure many do.

The future isnt predictable with any certainty but this certainly has been an eye-opener of a period.... some hopefully nice transitions to come.

mamisano

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
im really excited about the .09u proccess, is that at IBM?

I thought IBM was helping them with the .065?

That's correct. IBM is already producing .065 sample chips for the X-Box2.

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Is this the same as the "CG stepping" that's been referenced in other news articles, or is this something different?

Right at the top of the supported CPU list for this BIOS is an interesting entry: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ CG?

French, well Canadian, system integrator friends of The INQ tell us that the "CG" revision of Athlon 64 brings greater performance via "2T memory timing enhancements that will enable support of higher density and/or higher frequency memory modules".

Additionally, forthcoming "CG" revisions of the AMD Athlon 64 will not require identically paired DDR DIMM modules for the second and third slots in mainboards with three DIMM slots.

Expect "CG" revisions of Athlon 64 to start rolling from the AMD?s fabrication facilities before the start of Q2 this year.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13844