Upcoming 7" or 10" tablets?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Are there any solid competitors that will drop in the next two months that could compete with the Nexus 7?

Nexus 10 doesn't look like its cleaning house as the Nexus 7 did so I am still leaning to the smaller one.

Is it a bad time to buy?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Nexus 10 doesn't look like its cleaning house as the Nexus 7 did so I am still leaning to the smaller one.
Not quite sure what this means. The 10 has the best mobile panel ever, way more horsepower than the 7, and the little touches the 7 doesn't (HDMI, cameras).

Unless you specifically want something smaller and/or cheaper, there's not really a reason to pick the 7 here.

But no, there isn't anything of note coming out soon. BN and Amazon launched their 7" and 9" models already.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If the Nexus 10 had a mSD slot, it'd be the perfect tablet IMHO. However, I can still overlook that. Gonna get one as my personal tablet and on the go HTPC.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I'm thinking we probably won't hear much more until CES in January and then probably have to wait until spring or summer for those products. So I don't think we'll be seeing anything exciting for a while.

Kindle Fire 8.9 is coming on the 21st, but you'd need to be a Prime subscriber to really be interested in that and tolerate that TI OMAP 4470 processor in it.

I imagine ASUS is working on a new Transformer. But they usually announce tablets at least a couple months before they are released, and we've heard nothing so far, so I'm guessing spring time for that.

Nexus 10 sounds like a good tablet. I'm a bit worried about the quality of it's display, one review mentioned the colors looked a bit washed out (deja vu, same complaint about the Nexus 7 too). Hopefully that isn't the case (would be weird for two different manufactures to screw up the color calibration on Nexus tablets).

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Whoever said that new Atom would be a game changer can't be trusted if my 10 min. experience at Staples with Samsung ATIV is an indication.

Yeah the Start screen is smooth but that's about it. Apps all take their time to start up, and things slow down quickly as more apps stay open. Desktop mode, which is perhaps the only reason one would choose this over RT, everything is slow and laggy. I also experienced many graphical glitches.

It's a good looking device and felt light for the size which is nice, but the performance left a lot to be desired.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The glitches below. (They randomly showed up and disappeared while I was there)

Ss2RC.jpg

wQfgv.jpg

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Nexus 10 looks sweet. I'm happy with my Nexus 7, but if I was looking for a bigger tablet, I'd definitely get the 10.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Whoever said that new Atom would be a game changer can't be trusted if my 10 min. experience at Staples with Samsung ATIV is an indication.

Yeah the Start screen is smooth but that's about it. Apps all take their time to start up, and things slow down quickly as more apps stay open. Desktop mode, which is perhaps the only reason one would choose this over RT, everything is slow and laggy. I also experienced many graphical glitches.

It's a good looking device and felt light for the size which is nice, but the performance left a lot to be desired.

The glitches below. (They randomly showed up and disappeared while I was there)

Not saying you are wrong, I haven't even been able to find a Windows 8 tablet on display to play with yet. But I'm hoping you were just playing with a bad display unit. People can mess around and load crap on there, and something clearly is wrong with the display or video driver.

I would like to get a Windows 8 tablet. And the Atom seems like a good idea, I give up some performance, but it can run off a smaller batter keeping the tablet light. The Ativ Smart PC (what a sucky name for a tablet) only weight 1.6 pounds, most Ivy Bridge tablets seem to be well over 2 pounds with the same screen size.

PS. Wow, just noticed the Ativ Smart PC has been removed from Staples and Office Depots websites. That isn't promising.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Well yeah I hope the thing was defective. But as far as I can tell it's not something abused by onlookers. The thing was almost "virgin." Except for the local account, no apps were activated and the hardware had barely any finger prints.

But the glitches aside (though they could be related), the desktop performance was horrid. In my totally subjective feel, it didn't feel any faster than yester-years' Atoms. Only place it felt smooth was at the Metro Start screen. As soon as you go to Desktop, it's slowwwww. That's even with an SSD, I think?

Another issue I noticed was that the on-screen keyboard did not pop out automatically in Desktop mode, when text field is selected. Notepad, search, or IE, everything. If you look at the 2nd picture I posted, you can see the keyboard icon to the right end of Taskbar. Say, if you open a browser and select URL field, the keyboard doesn't show by itself. Every time the keyboard had to be manually opened from that freaking icon. Not sure whether this is a Samsung's problem or Microsoft's, but if that doesn't get fixed no one will use this thing.

Last edited:

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
App loading performance is pretty slow on Win8/RT. It really flies in my Phenom X6, but on my DM1z (An E-350) apps still load slowly.

When I was playing with a Surface, same issue. Apps loaded very slowly, but once loaded everything was quick and desktop mode ran without issues. App loading issues notwithstanding, I would say Win8 feels more optimized than Win 7.

Super56K

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2004
I honestly don't see how there could be a better time to buy (short of a Black Friday sale coming up). As far as releases go just about every major player has a new or recent device that'll hold steady well through the new year.

And with 16gb being the new base, it seems an excellent time to get a Nexus 7 if that's what you decide on.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I'm hoping they soon come out with the next generation Samsung Tab 7 with a higher resolution screen.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
App loading performance is pretty slow on Win8/RT. It really flies in my Phenom X6, but on my DM1z (An E-350) apps still load slowly.

When I was playing with a Surface, same issue. Apps loaded very slowly, but once loaded everything was quick and desktop mode ran without issues. App loading issues notwithstanding, I would say Win8 feels more optimized than Win 7.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues in my Win 8 box. The thing with RT is that none of the developers had any Windows RT units to test with when it launched. I'd assume some major tweaks are coming.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
You can easily get a BT keyboard and be taken care of, same can't be said for mSD. ;)
Totally different. Keydock = more battery life, integrated package, and *oh yea* an SD slot. BT = shorter battery life, another thing to carry, and no additional connectivity.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Not quite sure what this means. The 10 has the best mobile panel ever, way more horsepower than the 7, and the little touches the 7 doesn't (HDMI, cameras).

Unless you specifically want something smaller and/or cheaper, there's not really a reason to pick the 7 here.

But no, there isn't anything of note coming out soon. BN and Amazon launched their 7" and 9" models already.

No they didn't. I know the nooks aren't quite out yet at least, and at least one review said that 7" version had the best screen yet compared to competition. They're due soon though.