Up to $250,000 fine for saying "illegal alien" in NYC " with intent to demean, humiliate or harass a person."

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Well I can't _bear_ Phil Collins or anything associated with him. I'm sort-of indifferent to Peter Gabriel, never hated his solo stuff but never been that keen on it either.

With the eras of Genesis, it's probably the difference between lack of interest and active dislike. Too many negative associations with them. Just not my demographic.

I guess it's about generation and geography, now I come to think of it - oh, and the fact that Genesis were a 'public school' band. Funny how that works. For example (entirely different genre but same principle), everyone I've ever met who liked Heavy Metal was from 'the provinces'. Nobody in cities listened to that, it simply didn't exist, for urban people, just as, say, ska or reggae didn't outside the cities.

It's not about it being objectively 'good' or 'bad' (I now appreciate that heavy metal does in fact have a sense of humour and self-awareness, and fair play to them, but I'm still not actually listening to it...didn't even trust Grunge at first for fear it was a cunning trick to get me to listen to Heavy Metal). It's just a question of demographics, I think. Except for Phil Collins - who's objectively annoying.

Off topic, but there's not much to say about the OP.

Edit - oh, and The Police were pretty good when they were hiding their musicianship and pretending to be new-wave and a little bit 'punk'. But Sting almost immediately became unbearably self-important and pretentious when he went solo.
I read this post imagining the Huey Lewis scene from American Psycho.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I read this post imagining the Huey Lewis scene from American Psycho.

Damn, you have the advantage on me, as I haven't seen that film or read the book, so I'm not sure what this means (I'm sure it's not flattering though...you're lucky the new community standards haven't come in yet or I'm sure you'd be flung in jail...or told off...or something). Actually I once accidentally read some extracts from the book and found they made me feel kind of ill, so decided not to read the thing or see the movie.