Discussion Up for a new desktop and need advice?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jrscpu2204

Feb 3, 2022
Hello All, I’m new to this forum so please excuse my feeble questions! I’ve repaired and diagnosed computer issues and software related issues better than most, but am at no level here at this forum.
I purchased a 2012, Dell XPS Studio 9100. It’s served me well. I maintain it well including blowing out the chassis and power supply yearly, No failures and I have the latest Win 10. Of course Microsoft says it’s not Win11 capable( I’ve read its requirements and this current model looks like it could handle it). A few years ago, at a local thrift store, I came across a ABS computer that had a brushed aluminum case with extruded aluminum front. It was stunning and it was even more well built internally. ABS had no history but I can basically date it because of WinXP sticker which dates between 200-2006 or so? It was capable of loading and running Win 10. What impressed me was its sturdy construction and for its time, it’s leading edge components.
My Dell XPS Studio is nicely built too. I went to some reviews of the new Dell XPS series and a prestigious computer mag said it was pricey but they noted the physically, it’s chassis was flimsy, considering it’s asking price. Anyway,, here is my question. I need help picking a pre-made computer that will possibly fit these specs : Win 11 installed, a beefy chassis will expandability. At least 24 GB ram like what I have now. Currently I hav two 1 TB WD hd’s. The XPS Studio 9100 had two drive bays and I have to recordable blue ray drives ( I haven’t found Any chassis that has that 2 bay capability. I’m not a gamer and don’t over-clock or need water cooled GPU’s. I’ve always found the later might deliver performance, but long term durability is usually is always going to be an issue. HD tech has gone to solid state and I need advice as to their durability.
I basically asking for advise. I’ve looked at ABS Gladiator’, Corsair One’s & Dell’s Alienware R13’s. All are more than I’ll ever need or want for a long term use product! If someone can pass along some advice, I would deeply appreciate all responses. Again, I apologize, if I’m in the wrong forum category in advance! Thank you!

Jul 27, 2020
Ouch, $270 for the RAM? C16 Ripjaws V is $154 and C18 is $117.
He is certainly free to choose a cheaper one. I just wanted to make sure his CPU wouldn't be held back by higher CAS latency. Anyway, he can afford to splurge a little if I'm not mistaken. I also didn't want him to have weird performance issues due to the slower E-cores erroneously being assigned to his workload threads so picked a CPU with no E-cores.

jrscpu2204

Feb 3, 2022
I received a reply email from Titan Computers. Here is what they wrote me back:

Kindly review our Titan W261 workstation which uses the newest intel i7 and i9 processors with up to 16 cores and 24 threads:
https://www.titancomputers.com/Titan-W261-Intel-i5-i7-i9-Alder-Lake-Series-p/w261.htm?

This system can be configured with a Phanteks Enthoo Pro chassis which allows you to have internal DVD / BlueRay burner.
By default it has a 120MM all-in-one liquid cooler device which can be upgrade to a 240MM option. They do not require any maintenance other than a regular clean up from dust like any other computer. You also have the option to use Noctua cooler which are a high performance fan and heatsink option.
You do not need liquid cooling for the video card and I would recommend you RTX A4000 as a very powerful and reliable option for professional applications.

jrscpu2204

Feb 3, 2022
After plunking in my options, it came to almost $2700 plus NY State sales tax. That came just under $3000! I choose, the i7 too, the i9 would have been close to $2900 before taxes!

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I would recommend you RTX A4000 as a very powerful and reliable option for professional applications.
That video card is way overkill for what you are doing. You could save a thousand dollars just by choosing the default T400 card, or even by using the integrated gpu. Ultimately, it is up to you how much you spend on this computer. One thing to keep in mind is that you are also paying for support when buying a pre-made. This is why a lot of us build our own, but then we are our own support. If you really are against building your own, try looking for some local shops that can build to order, or check out Dell and some of their workstations.

jrscpu2204

Feb 3, 2022
Yeah, I’ll have to consider all my options and I’ll keep you informed. With all my follow-up doctors appointments, it’s been difficult to sit down and process all options! Thanks again!

Reactions: igor_kavinski