Question Unsure as to power connectors (mid-build)

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
PSU:
Super Flower 850W Leadex Titanium SF-850F14HT

mobo:
Asus Pro B760M-CT

CPU:
i5 13600KF

graphics card:
4070 FE

3 questions:

The PSU has 2 separate 8 pin connectors, each labelled CPU ("1" and "2"). Do I just use the first one? I'm assuming it has two in case your setup literally has 2 physical CPUs, like a workstation/server board (doesn't apply in this build).

2. I can't figure out for certain what PSU cable(s) to use for the ATX_12V connector on the mobo. The PSU has 2 identical cables, which are some sort of 8 pin to 2 x 4 pin cables. The weird thing is the shape of the pins for the 2 x 4 pin side aren't an exact match to the mobo headers, yet they still fit just fine. Is this normal? I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

3. Again related to PSU cables, I'm not entirely certain I connected the right power connectors to the graphics card. The PSU includes 4 separate modular hookups labelled "PCIe" or whatnot, and 4 separate power cables labeled "VGA". What I did was hooked up 2 separate VGA cables, each to a separate "PCIe" hookup on the PSU ("1" and "2"), hook those 2 cables up to the cable included with the video card, and then hooked that end up to the side of the video card (and yes, I made absolutely certain it's properly/fully/firmly connected; I'm aware of the issues with this connector).

One other question: I have a couple old HDDs in the rig (for storage), but don't want the system/OS to be able to "see" them, until after I set up the OS on one of the nVMEs; to achieve this, they are hooked up to the PSU, but the SATA cables are disconnected from the mobo (after I install the OS on the nVME in question, I'll power down the system, connect the SATA cables, and power it up again, etc.). Nothing wrong with this approach, right? I mean, power but with no data cable won't break anything, right?

Last edited:

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
1. Your motherboard only requires 1 8pin EPS so just tuck the other one away. Many new motherboards have 2 EPS headers despite only a single CPU as some modern CPUs can draw 300+ W.

2. Your motherboard has a standard 24 pin ATX, not ATX12V.

3. That should be correct.

These should be all the cables you need.

W1siZiIsIjIzNDMzL3Byb2R1Y3RzLzM4ODE3MzY1LzE2Njk4NzQ1MjNfNjZkOGRmMDYzMWIyZmMxZjg4Y2UuanBlZyJdLF...jpg

For your hard drives, that should work fine. You could also leave just the power disconnected instead and it would have the same result.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
1. Your motherboard only requires 1 8pin EPS so just tuck the other one away. Many new motherboards have 2 EPS headers despite only a single CPU as some modern CPUs can draw 300+ W.

2. Your motherboard has a standard 24 pin ATX, not ATX12V.

3. That should be correct.

These should be all the cables you need.

View attachment 80761

For your hard drives, that should work fine. You could also leave just the power disconnected instead and it would have the same result.
His board DOES have an ATX12V connector. (or so it's labeled on the board) More properly known as an 8 pin EPS connector.

OP, connect the ATX 24 pin connector, (some PSU's may have a 20+4 pin connector) connect ONE 8 pin (or 4+4 pin) ATX 12v connector, connect the 8 pin (6+2) pin VGA cables to the adapter, then, if you have any SATA devices connect those. (It's perfectly fine to leave either (or both) the SATA power cables and data cables disconnected until you want to power those devices after you finish with the initial setup...just remember to power the computer OFF before you connect things)

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
His board DOES have an ATX12V connector. (or so it's labeled on the board) More properly known as an 8 pin EPS connector.

OP, connect the ATX 24 pin connector, (some PSU's may have a 20+4 pin connector) connect ONE 8 pin (or 4+4 pin) ATX 12v connector, connect the 8 pin (6+2) pin VGA cables to the adapter, then, if you have any SATA devices connect those. (It's perfectly fine to leave either (or both) the SATA power cables and data cables disconnected until you want to power those devices after you finish with the initial setup...just remember to power the computer OFF before you connect things)
My apologies, I was thinking he was talking about the ATX12VO connector.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
So to be clear:

1. Use only one EPS cable and "CPU 1" on the PSU, as I already have.

2. The 8 pin end of the cable goes into the PSU, and the 2 x 4 pin end of the cable goes into the mobo. Again, the pin shapes aren't a perfect match, but it does fit/nothing is being forced. Please confirm if this is fine.

3. I indeed did the "better" option of a separate cable and PSU hookup for each of the 2 lines (no daisychaining with 1 cable).

Last edited:

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
So to be clear:

1. Use only one EPS cable and "CPU 1" on the PSU, as I already have.

2. The 8 pin end of the cable goes into the PSU, and the 2 x 4 pin end of the cable goes into the mobo. Again, the pin shapes aren't a perfect match, but it does fit/nothing is being forced. Please confirm if this is fine.

3. I indeed did the "better" option of a separate cable and PSU hookup for each of the 2 lines (no daisychaining with 1 cable).
Correct.

On number 2, the separate 4 pin connectors should only fit on one side of the 8 pin on the motherboard once you line up the clip that holds it in place. You can't swap them.

ASK THE COMMUNITY