Unreal Tournament 4 free to play

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thats pretty cool. I had a ton of fun with UT2K4 back in the day. And actually loved the very first UT as well. Still would love to see a remake of the original Unreal but with the UT4 engine. Everything the same, just better graphics.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Cool, thanks. Signed up for the forums and I saw the link for the client. I'll have to check it out later when I get home.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
To be honest, if they remade the original Unreal Tourney with better graphics and better multi-core support I would buy that in a heartbeat. The weapons just felt more balanced in that game, as you could kill with any number of weapons.

Face CTF with 31 other gamers was absolute carnage. I remember spending 3+ hours on that map as well as November, just trying to get that ONE cap to advance the map.

Oct 30, 2004
To be honest, if they remade the original Unreal Tourney with better graphics and better multi-core support I would buy that in a heartbeat. The weapons just felt more balanced in that game, as you could kill with any number of weapons.

UT4 isn't the same as UT99, but it's not bad and fun to play. I think it's as close as we'll ever see to a UT99-2. I've already released four CTF maps for UT4 and have a 5th in the oven:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?17720-CTF-Sidewinder

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?17389-CTF-Whiplash

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?16173-CTF-Hardcore-Beta-released-Server-Ready

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?16551-CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam-beta

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I hope the game doesn't stay free to play. No game worth playing is free IMO. If they actually make a real UT game, then charge me $60.00 for it. Otherwise I'm not interested in any of that cheap, free, strings attached garbage.

Nov 26, 2005

I played Thorns the other night. 8 players. Had a blast. I hear w00tabulous is coming back with a bunch of other classic maps.

Oct 30, 2004
I played Thorns the other night. 8 players. Had a blast. I hear w00tabulous is coming back with a bunch of other classic maps.

Some of the guys have found ways to convert the UT99 map files into UT4 maps, so they can almost literally port them over. A modder created programs for facilitating the conversion. (It goes UT99/2004 ---> UT3 ---> UT4.) The UT4 Instagib community is the one makng the conversions. I guess it brings back the old maps, but they're gonna like they're straight out of UT99.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I hope the game doesn't stay free to play. No game worth playing is free IMO. If they actually make a real UT game, then charge me $60.00 for it. Otherwise I'm not interested in any of that cheap, free, strings attached garbage.

I understand the point you are making but this just isn't true. There are a lot of really good free to play games.

Nov 26, 2005
Some of the guys have found ways to convert the UT99 map files into UT4 maps, so they can almost literally port them over. A modder created programs for facilitating the conversion. (It goes UT99/2004 ---> UT3 ---> UT4.) The UT4 Instagib community is the one makng the conversions. I guess it brings back the old maps, but they're gonna like they're straight out of UT99.

that's w00tabulous!

Oct 30, 2004
I agree I'd prefer a paid game. I've never found a f2p game I enjoyed.

Did you enjoy the game play of UT99 or UT 2004? If it were suddenly made free, what difference would its being free make?

I've been playing UT4 and I've been enjoying it. The biggest problem in those regards is a current lack of players.

I also play Planetside 2. I haven't dropped a dime on it, and I've had a blast.

Feb 4, 2009
Did you enjoy the game play of UT99 or UT 2004? If it were suddenly made free, what difference would its being free make?

I've been playing UT4 and I've been enjoying it. The biggest problem in those regards is a current lack of players.

I also play Planetside 2. I haven't dropped a dime on it, and I've had a blast.

Being a paid game then transitioning to F2P like TF2 did doesn't really count. I'm saying that I have never found a F2P game that was designed to be F2P from the beginning that I enjoyed.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
F2P games sound like a scam to me, because I know nothing of value is free. There is always micro transactions or some catch to it. Also, one huge reason why I don't like these "able to play for free during development" games is that I never know when the damn game is done or not. Is it finished or not? Is it a half finished mess? some maps done, but not the rest? There is confusion and uncertainty, and that's probably why hardly anyone is playing UT4 right now. No one understands the game, whether or not its even done, when its being released, if its ever being officially released or simply an ongoing community project, what the catch is if any, etc etc.

So, is the game out yet?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I do not find the "pre-alpha" graphics all that good and the movement is well just plain stupid!

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
i played one level like a month ago. it was just like plain white walls. and the guns didnt looks great. i don't know. it sure didn't look anything like that promo they showed? i think there is maybe one map with good graphics and the rest are garbage.