Unpatriotic Microsoft refused to sell XBOX 360 to US Army for stupid reasons

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
" 'Unpatriotic' Microsoft refused to sell Xbox 360 to US Army for reasons relating to its losing money on the sale"

fixed. you may not like MS but they have financial and marketing reasons not to sell to the Army. It's no different that the military submitting an Army-approved simulator to put in the Apple store for the general public. Company's item, company's rules.

Why would anyone need to get Microsoft's permission to develop an in-house, non-profit, non-public distribution of a custom built simulator? You can't sue someone for not breaking your license agreement if they don't break your license agreement. They don't even have to use the Microsoft SDK, they can just make their own since the SDK boxes are all just PC's anyway.

I don't see the valid legal argument for why they need any cooperation from Microsoft other than simply being polite about it.

It's still running on a MS product, just like Apple only allowing approved apps via Apple store.

Last edited:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
While SONY was happy to sell their PS3s to the US Military to help defend the homeland (http://gizmodo.com/363985/air-force-buys-300-playstation-3-for-research), greedy Microsoft refused to sell to the ARMY for awful reasons. Some of the reasons are odd considering XBOX players are young males who would like their favorite console to be associated to the military. The company is full of Left Coast tree-huggers with nothing better to do than piss on Old Glory. Just as well, cause those 360s would've been unreliable anyway...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-xbox-360-military-army,news-5786.html

You're fucking retarded /Rahm

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
this is why I love ATOT. Day in and day out, you can rest assured that you have not yet witnessed the most idiotic thing on the internet. You know that you can sign on tomorrow, and someone is going to kick it up a notch. Thank you, Dari. I look forward to whoever will take on the difficult task of topping your mindless drivel tomorrow.

I LOL'ed. :biggrin:

I have the 360 and the PS3 at home. The 360 plays games. The PS3 plays Blu-Rays and it struggles to do that at times (intermittent lockups on disc load).

FWIW, I saw a show on an army recruitment center that was getting protested because they were using a game (360 + Modern Warfare 2) to lure kids to join up.

Edit: Link to the protest group: LINK

Last edited:

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
It's still running on a MS product, just like Apple only allowing approved apps via Apple store.

I don't quite think you understand what you are saying; because your statement is absolutely false. If they are not licensing the software they create for public distribution and/or sale, how are they infringing on any licensing agreement? When you buy a 360 you do not sign a contract or a friggen EULA stating you will not make software for it. Those laws only apply with intent to distribute and sell.

If anything it is FAR closer to making your own apps on a jailbroken iPhone than it is buying anything from the app store. Horrible analogy.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The 360 is more reliable than the PS3.

Haha, no way in hell is that true.

Why would anyone need to get Microsoft's permission to develop an in-house, non-profit, non-public distribution of a custom built simulator?

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act will stop them, as doing so will most certainly involve reverse engineering.

They don't even have to use the Microsoft SDK, they can just make their own since the SDK boxes are all just PC's anyway.

The SDK license for the Xbox 360 is ~$20,000, last I heard. Additional support resources from Microsoft are extra. This is still far cheaper than the alternative (of building it yourself).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Dari is just testing to see if there any others here who can match me in condescension.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Your assignment, Dari, should you decide to accept it, is to go our on the internet and see if you can get a thousand people to call you a twit. You will self destruct in, oh say, yesterday.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Just another "Dari hating on Microsoft and the XBOX 360" thread, but this one is especially over the top, even by his standards.

FYI, none of the three reasons listed are "stupid", with perhaps the last one being the only one questionable because of some sort of perceived bad PR image.

But now Microsoft is "unpatriotic" and "stupid" because they didn't want to lose boatloads of money and have console shortages at launch (remember, the article is talking about 2006).

:awe:

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Just another "Dari hating on Microsoft and the XBOX 360" thread, but this one is especially over the top, even by his standards.

FYI, none of the three reasons listed are "stuipd", with perhaps the last one being the only one questionable because of some sort of perceived bad PR image.

But now Microsoft is "unpatriotic" and "stupid" because they didn't want to lose boatloads of money and have console shortages at launch (remember, the article is talking about 2006).

:awe:

If being associated with the US Military is bad then this country is fucked. No institution is more honorable than the military. Guns and G-d, what else can you ask for? To paraphrase the Yale motto: "For God for country..."

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
What, are they worried about the warranty? Who gives a shit. Buy 30k, put Linux on them and cluster them like the Air Force did with 1700 PS3's.

No Linux available for the 360, they'd have to go through microsoft for any software. (and the ps3's running linux don't have 3d access anyway)

But still, it's not like the 360 or ps3 offer a beastly amount of 3d power in this time. Buy a $400 PC that uses recent AMD or nvidia integrated graphics (or plop in low end $30-$50) grpahics cards and you've got just as much 3d power, more memory, and a more open development environment. And Windows natively recognizes the 360 controller, so they can use that too if they so desire, or go more esoteric and get some virtual reality controllers.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
uh... I'm pretty sure that the manufacturing cost of an xbox 360 is right in line with what it costs now, i know when it first came out they were much more expensive to make than what they sold them for, but i'm pretty sure now it's right in line. It cost something like 600+ to make when it first came out I believe and that was 5 years ago...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
keyds8.jpg

is that a saab?

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Seem like very valid reasons to me and I have no problem with their decision based on those following reasons.