Unofficial Asus P5E3 Deluxe (non-wifi) forum

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
Ok, so I loved the unofficial forum to my old board, the P5N-E SLI; it helped me with lots of stuff. So, in memory of that, I am going to start a new board forum. For the sake of info, I will include all trials and tribulations whilst I install this board, set it up, overclock it, and run my IT business through it.

To Start:

I have, sitting in front of me, the following:

1 x Asus P5E3 Deluxe (non-wifi) board (unknown BIOS atm)
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU
1 x Corsair Dominator 2Gb kit (2x1024 CM3X1024-1800C7DIN) 1800Mhz
1 x Asus 8800Gt 512Mb non-overclocked
1 x Antec P182 Advanced Super midi Tower
1 x Zalman 600W ZN600HP PSU

A couple of SATA 3.0 (SATAII) Drives
A couple of DVD burners etc

For cooling, the case comes with 3 internal fans, mounted strategically. There is no PSU with the case, and Antec has orientated it so that the PSU mounts at the bottom. Both sides of the case are removed to access this, and it is a tight fit. The main fans (2) cause a nice flow through the CPU area, and the 3rd fan forms a flow through the secondary drive bay and PSU down the bottom. Anther fan can (and will) be installed in front of the primary drive bay mid-case. CPU fan will be a Scythe Ninja+ Rev B.
The Antec case is brillliant though! So well thought out, with spaces and slides for everything.
I'll start to mount the mobo tomorrow, and work from there.

A couple of points - The english version of the mobo instruction book tells you to put single dual-channel setups in groups (ie, 2x1024Gb Sticks in A1 and A2, next to each other, different colours). THIS IS WRONG. Place each stick in the same colour when using only two.

Any other issues that you think I might need to know about, I'd love you to post them here.

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
So I've built it -
Couple of revisions though. I got an E8200 instead, after I had trouble with the 6850. It seems to be working well. Mounting the Scythe ninja CPU cooler was quite difficult, but it is maintaining my CPU at 37 degrees which is pretty good considering the heat. It will go down over time. Installed XP 32 bit (don't trust Vista yet, and XP64 is brilliant, but not very well supported.) Set the timings on the BIOS for mem according to specs on the dominator site (7-7-7-20-1T@2.0V). Will install everything else, then put benchmark scores up.

Ryan1981

Oct 29, 2015
Old post but same motherboard and still going strong. Ironic how you found the same problem as me about the memory, this has caused me so much trouble, got all kinds of errors when I was building my PC. Before I post my question here is my specs:

My Setup:
1 x Asus P5E3 Deluxe (non-wifi) board (unknown BIOS atm)
1 x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Boxed
4 x OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC3-10666
1 x Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5
1 x Antec Sonata Designer 500 (including Antec Earthwatts EA 500 PSU)
1 x Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
1 x Nexus Real Silent D12SL-12 OR, 120mm
1 x Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7203S
1 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330, 1TB
1 x Western Digital Elements Desktop 1TB
1 x NEC 3,5" Diskette Drive 1,44MB (Zilver)
1 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (UK Retail)
1 x M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
1 x Transcend PCI-e Adapter TS-PDU3 2 Poorts USB3

So I have had some trouble getting the Samsung SSD to work properly. I am currently in a stripped down form with only this SSD connected to the controller on the SATA port 2 and installed the latest intel drivers for the chipset and it seems to be stable (apart from 1 blue screen so far in 2 weeks of usage). Next step will be to 1 by 1 connect the other HDD's I have and see if problems come back. The problems are random freezes for 20 seconds and after many freezes sometimes corruption of my windows installation.

I have a strong suspicion there is some form of incompatibility with my chipset and this SSD, unfortunately the latest bios is very old and I don't think a newer version will ever be released by ASUS. I was wondering if some people with the capability of creating newer bios versions were on this forum that could create a compatible bios but then with the latest version of the chipset drivers (or whatever you call them at bios level). I have found one such bios which I am using now but there are some strange issues with the raid settings (I do not use raid) Somehow when the raid bios is set to AHCI it will always load in post (and it is terribly slow) so I will have to wait a long time before it continues to windows. I can't access the raid bios in this unknown bios via the F1 option. Setting it to IDE in the main bios resolves it (doesn't load the raid bios) but I guess that is not how it is supposed to work.

This is where I found my bios:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-P5E3-Deluxe-BIOS-1502-RAID-Request

Ryan1981

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah I almost bought a PCI-E adapter was it not for the fact that someone on a Dutch forum suggested to me to use the eSata controller instead. For now the system seems stable on the normal connection, so no need, but if my system becomes unstable and the e-sata doesn't work this is still an option.

Last edited: