Unneighborly Neighbors

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
My shed rests on the corner of my property, its back faces the back door of another house. Today, while I was out with my dad, playing with my 2 year old daughter, I found 2 unexploded paintballs next to my garage... we walked around a bit and found that my neighbor has been shooting the back of my shed with his paintball gun. I don't see it, because I basically never look at that side of the shed.

I've heard him shooting before while I was outside, but I always just assumed he was aiming at a 50 gallon barrel he had in his yard. I used to shoot my single action paintball gun when I lived at my parents house (I was 16) in my back yard, so I kind of understand, but at the same time, I was never aiming in the direction of other houses or people.

This is the same guy that I almost called the cops on when he left his little lap dog outside in almost zero degree weather, crying, for about 2 hours straight.

This is also the same guy I tried to meet during Halloween last year, but he didnt come to the door... until after I was already walking down the road and the UPS guy showed up.

He flies Marine flags outside his house, has children of his own (who are toddlers). He has no clue if I'm outside with my daughter while he's shooting his gun off...

Approach him directly, or just call the cops?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Have you ever had a conversation with the guy? I'd try to talk to the guy first and ask him to clean it up. If he's not willing to talk, call the cops on him for vandalism.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Have you ever had a conversation with the guy? I'd try to talk to the guy first and ask him to clean it up. If he's not willing to talk, call the cops on him for vandalism.

The one time I've tried to meet him, he hid in his house until I was down the road a piece, then came out for the UPS guy 2 minutes later.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Use his toddler as a paintball target. That'll start a conversation.

I would try to talk to him and if he doesn't answer, leave a note on his door. If it continues, call the cops

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Exterous
Use his toddler as a paintball target. That'll start a conversation.

I would try to talk to him and if he doesn't answer, leave a note on his door. If it continues, call the cops

and get someone to witness that you left a note. if you want to go the legal route, cover your bases.

if you want to go the revenge route, paint his car. dont bring a witness.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
Start shooting the side of his house with frozen paint balls. I think he'll get the hint pretty quickly.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
In order: try to talk to him twice, leave a note after that, take pictures of paintballs in yard and shed (picture of pattern of paint changing to reflect new shots), send a registered letter, call cops.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
Depends. Does your shed go right up to his property line? Or is there some space? If there is space, then talk to him. And if he has kids, it sounds like he is old enough to know NOT to shoot someone elses' property.

Basically if it really irritates you, or he is being irresponsible with his shooting, then talk to him first. Failing that, call the Police and make a report. Now if you actually want him to restore your shed to how it was before he started nailing it with paintballs, then that might take a trip to court. But you want to have all of your bases covered before you go that route so that you have substantial evidence that it was him.

Also you could put up a sign on the back of your shed that states Please don't shoot my shed. In any case he sounds like a hick, not really dangerous, but could just become extremely annoying if the situation isn't handled right.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: onlyCOpunk
In any case he sounds like a hick, not really dangerous, but could just become extremely annoying if the situation isn't handled right.

Thats my biggest concern. The shed itself isnt in that great condition (just used to store some outdoor equipment and patio furniture over the winter) but its not dilapidated by any stretch of the imagination... I just don't understand how someone would knowingly shoot someone else's property with a paintball gun.

Taking pictures is a good idea, I'll mosey outside tomorrow when its light and take a few shots.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Marines aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Who says he's a Marine? He probably waves Marine flags like kids at state schools wear Harvard sweatshirts.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Marines aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Maybe...but they'll also kill you with their bare hands if you complain about them shooting at your shed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Savij
In order: try to talk to him twice, leave a note after that, take pictures of paintballs in yard and shed (picture of pattern of paint changing to reflect new shots), send a registered letter, call cops.

:thumbsup: