Unmarried teacher at catholic school fired for getting pregnant is suing school

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
It is truly amusing. The ogranization that didn't fire child rapists for decades and has had more documented child abuse than any other organization on earth, is now pulling the trigger on single teachers who DON'T abort their children. When did the Catholic Church get on the abortion bandwagon?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would reply by asking can a company have a policy that violates you constitutional rights. Life liberty pursuit of happiness, free expression, etc?

BTW - If I really needed the job I would take it. If I decided to date outside of race I would lie. If I was caught and fired I would sue.

I asked earlier and no one had the balls to answer: what about the jobs that require consenting to polygraph examinations or drug / alcohol testing?

Up until recently, case law was pretty solid in that you could contract away your rights in exchange for compensation. The recent rulings WRT pregnancy and morality clauses have turned that on its head.

Also nice to know you would willingly commit fraud. Guess morals aren't high on your list?

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I would reply by asking can a company have a policy that violates you constitutional rights. Life liberty pursuit of happiness, free expression, etc?

Unquestionably they can. Did you miss the thread where companies are free to enforce policies requiring invasive medical procedures on pregnant women?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
If this were a non church employer, she'd have an open and shut case.

I'm curious though, why do you think employers should be allowed to control their employees' sex life outside of work?

nobody was controlling anybody's sex life. she is free to do as she pleases.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
It's one thing to say you can't put drugs in your body but I draw the line when they try and tell a women she can't put a penis in her v-jay-jay without risking losing her job.

nobody said she can't do it . . . they simply stated, though contract, that her actions would have consequences, she's free to do as she pleases.

and why would you draw that distinction between drugs and sex? if you believe in personal privacy and freedom you would argue for freedom to do both. . . as the contract allows.

Nov 25, 2013
Should the military start letting people who are disabled(say blind) serve? Why should the fact that you are born blind make it so you are unable to serve our country while the military is forced to bend over backward for women that become unfit for duty due to their own choices?

Maybe they should be enlisting toasters.

cover_large.jpg

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I like how no one is willing to touch the obvious comparison to polygraph testing.

This case should (rightfully) die under simple contact law.

Sep 29, 2004
This is no different than Nike dropping an athlete because they got a DWI. The customers impression of the employee matter to the business. The parents of a catholic school may pull students out if a teacher is preggers out of wedlock.