Unlocked Cell Phone??

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
I just used a program to unlock my Nokia 8290 and I'm not 100% sure its unlocked or not. Does anyone know of any program to check to see if the phone is locked or unlocked? I used Nokall v9.0 to unlock it but not sure if its a valid unlock.. Any advice?

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
For me it does absolutly nothing but if you were to sell your unlocked GSM phone it would be worth a little bit more and you could sell it to anyone with GSM Service.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dakata24
what does unlocking your cell phone do?

Allows you to use a SIM card from a different company. I had mine unlocked before i came over here to Europe. I was able to buy a KPN card and use it in my voicestream phone.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
WTF is a sim card?

my cellphone is all oroginal, no funky ring tones, no blue LEDs, no bright yellow plastic covers. It's an all-stock no-rice cell phone, so I may jsut be uneducated about the world of cell phone modification.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
WTF is a sim card?

my cellphone is all oroginal, no funky ring tones, no blue LEDs, no bright yellow plastic covers. It's an all-stock no-rice cell phone, so I may jsut be uneducated about the world of cell phone modification.

SIM cards have nothing to do with modifying the phone really. A SIM card is what is used in GSM phones to store the phones information. Its nice because if you buy a new cell phone, you dont have to transfer all of your phonebook over to the new phone, just pop in the sim card from the old phone. It also lets you use the phone on other companies networks, such as I am doing over here. If i want to go back to using my voicestream, i just pop in my old card.

Example of a SIM Card

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
My phone doesn't seem to have one of those.

If it did, you would know :)

Right now, i believe that Voicestream/T-Mobile is the only company to offer only GSM Coverage in the states. Cingular and AT&T have launched their services with it, but Im not sure how large it is yet.