Question Unknown problem with my computer, looping and beeping

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
I have a Gigabyte HM97D3H motherboard, two 8 GB ram modules and CPU is core i7 4770. Today I was using my PC and all of sudden the monitor froze with an odd image which was not your usual BSOD (instead it was all fuzzy) and then after restart the PC won’t work anymore. Meaning it wouldn’t even boot. The LED started but no boot, and the monitor of course won’t change. At first I thought this was my SSD, but it couldn’t have been because the computer would still boot if that were the case.

Then I opened the case and replaced the PC battery, which had already been replaced this year, so it was not worn out. Nothing changed. I then proceeded to remove the two RAMs from their modules, and put them back again. Same thing for the video card, which is old, AMD Radeon R7 265. I can’t tell if I reinserted the RAM properly back there, but it is attached to the motherboard.

Anyway, the PC is still not working, but now it is emitting a continuous beeping and after doing that nonstop for more than 20 times then the LED/PC turn itself off and then turn on again, just to repeat the same noise.

I am beginning to think I didn’t reinsert the RAM back there properly. Even so, what could account for all I explained? Any likely suspect? I mean, a broken hardware all of sudden? Or its just a matter of finding a technician which would unplug things, perhaps clean them, put them back and everything would start as if nothing happened?

I’ve been using this computer for many years and on a daily basis. I’d say this is the first time this happened, so I am expecting the worst… this can’t be good.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
That dog is indeed long in the tooth, dating back to 2014 or so. In a perfect world you would check the status of each suspect part on a working machine, esp memory . One or several components may be caput.
I myself suspect the motherboard is deceased but deserves a purple heart for lasting as long as it has. You likely cannot replace it or any of those other near death items so , umm, do you have a back yard and a spade ?
RIP.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
I have a question, if the graphic card has just died, or the motherboard, or PSU, or only one of the RAM memories, would that prevent this computer from even going to the BIOS, and also never make a sound? Because that was the original issue I had, not to mention the very odd freezing of the screen while I was using Windows.

Video from the current situation:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Troubleshoot using the breadboard method. Here is a video showing that technique.
Start by clearing CMOS and taking the motherboard out of the case to remove short circuits.

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
The problem here was corrosion, an oxidized motherboard which is now defunct. Also the video card isn’t working. So I bought a new MB and for the time being I’ll use the onboard video from it.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER