University of Waterloo

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Does anyone know about this Canadian school? I might go there for physics grad school because:

1. I don't hate the US, but wanna go to a different country for a change and study there.

2. I like cold weather and switching from hot FL temp would be nice for a change

3. They have a huge co-op program which I thought may help me gain some work experience.

Just want to get to know a little more about it before I apply. Apparently, I never heard of this school until recently.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The school is awesome for Comp Sci Grads and Interns. I have hired 3 guys for my team alone from there. We regularly hire 20-25 interns from there for our intern program every quarter. Many of them come back and are excellent employees. I have nothing but good things to say about the school.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
PS: The Co-op program is one of the best I have seen, all the best companies in the US go recruiting their at least for CS, i don't know about physics majors.

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
I went to UW for my undergrad. It's supposed to be a top school for Comp Sci, Comp Eng, and Physics as well if I remember correctly... anyway the big attraction is the co-op program, where you have a 4 month school term followed by a 4 month work term. It really helps pay for schooling costs (and you get real-world experience at the same time).

You better REALLY like cold weather though.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the waterloo region is a bit strange. it's kind of like a whole 'nother planet. kitchener is full of german people. but king st on a winter's night is beautiful.

U of W is generally highly regarded. it's a big math school. bill gates was there not too long ago. research in motion (blackberry) has its home base right there.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, it's the huge co-op program that's drawing me in. German people huh? I'm glad I took German and actually still use it.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: invidia
Yeah, it's the huge co-op program that's drawing me in. German people huh? I'm glad I took German and actually still use it.

kitchener used to be called berlin.

oktoberfest is always fun. :D

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
Probably the best University in Canada for CS, I don't know about Physics ... but I hear nothing but great things about Waterloo.

Check out:
http://www.macleans.ca/universities/art....jsp?content=20031106_133202_2948#comp
They group things a little funny (Waterloo is rated 2nd in its group) -- but recently I read that some Universities (UBC/UofA I think) are mad about the way Macleans does the ratings, I don't remember what the argument was, but I remember thinking it was a valid argument.

Anyways, if I had the marks to get into there CS Masters program, I'd be there in a heartbeat (I'm a UBC undergrad student - I'll grad this year). I'll hopefully end up going to UVIC (Victoria) next year, but I have a good job now :D and with like $40,000 in student loans it'd be nice to work for a bit, but I fear if I keep working I'll never go back to school, everyone says they'll go back and then they never do.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
If you like co-op and love cold weather, try Northeastern University. Not a bad school at all.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
well, waterloo has the physics institute and they run the institute for quantum computing so thats a plus

I really like Waterloo, I live there on the weekends.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I'm going into quantum computing or something closely related to that field. Another reason I would like to apply there.

Hmm, how hard is it to get into grad school in Waterloo? It isn't like trying to apply for any Ivy legaues in the US, right? Despite being ranked #1 in Canada. I know I don't have the grades for a Ivy League or probably even some of the high ranked schools, like UCLA

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: invidia
I'm going into quantum computing or something closely related to that field. Another reason I would like to apply there.

Hmm, how hard is it to get into grad school in Waterloo? It isn't like trying to apply for any Ivy legaues in the US, right? Despite being ranked #1 in Canada. I know I don't have the grades for a Ivy League or probably even some of the high ranked schools, like UCLA

Actually looking at the admission reqs i might be able to get in. I just figured they'd be "A" avg. to get in ... I should have the min reqs. (given that everything this year works out) doesnt mean I'd get in though. Hmmm I'll have to research this a bit.

Jan 31, 2002
As long as you're okay with an 80% overall male populace, and 95%+ male in anything math or computer related, it's a good place. ;)

- M4H