University of Phoenix

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
got my associates about 3 years ago from Dallas community college...I stopped by the Universy of Phoenix (Dallas campus) to look into finishing my bachelor's...

just wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with them...

thanks...

edited for clarification...

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
From the commercials I always thought it was another BS college. Thinking back though I believe it was University of Phoenix that had something to do with the credits I earned in the military.

just rambling

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Somehow, I can't bring myself to take seriously any university that has to resort to pop-up ad's and spam emails.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
It's a private institution that has a lot of online classes. From what I hear it is not bad, but it is very expensive and you have to deal with the potential stigma of being an "online university".

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: TipsyMcStagger
isn't university of phoenix the one that advertises on pop-up adds?

Yes.. and whether or not it is a good college you have to think that employers see it as kind of a tacky institution. If you're going to do an online program maybe find one that isn't as mainstream

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Landroval
It's a private institution that has a lot of online classes. From what I hear it is not bad, but it is very expensive and you have to deal with the potential stigma of being an "online university".

Looks like I will need to take 15 classes to get a bachelor's from them...about $1k per class ($15k total - ouch when you look at it from that perspective)...work will pay for most of it though (if I get good grades:))...

each class runs 5 weeks - i would have go one night a week from 6 pm - 10 pm...

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I would never sign up with them just on principle! They are some of the worst spammers in the industry!

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
NO. I have a friend who works for them. they are just another take your money, bs pseudo-college. you would do better going to community college, or state university. they usually offer online courses too.

jread

Jan 20, 2005
University of Phoenix is a fully-accredited university and is completely legit. Many employers, however, do not see it that way and do not take it seriously. This is what turned me away from going there. There are some other universities with online bachelor's degrees, though, that are mainly traditional universities and look much better "on paper". Here are some in Texas:

http://www.amberton.edu/DistLrn.htm

http://libarts.mwsu.edu/baas/brochure.asp