University housing is trying to charge me $250 for damage to my room *UPDATED again, the plot thickens*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paktu

Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee
You have time and no money? Then GET A JOB. Besides, you should have been aware of the potential damages you'd incur if you made holes in the wall!

But anyway, try to continue your appeal. Even at $125 each ($250 total), did it really take 4 hours to paint the room? How big was the room? I could see 4 hours actually being reasonable if you factor in time to protect the carpet and possibly paint the ceilings

I never said that I had NO money- I have a fairly decent paying job this summer. But I can't get more than 40 hours a week.

The room was very large for a dorm room, I kinda lucked out in the room lottery last year. They aren't charging me for the carpets, just damage to the walls.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Just pay the money and be done with it. It sucks but it has taught you a good lesson in life. Take pictures of things you want to prove.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Wait, university building maintainence is unionized?

NO FVCKIGN WONDER THEY'RE WORTHLESS.

You're worthless and you are not unionized, so I fail to see the correlation.

Paktu

Oct 31, 2004

Sadly, there's more truth than fiction to that statement.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Mill

You're worthless and you are not unionized, so I fail to see the correlation.

That's not true. I'm pretty sure him, alkemyst, and PM4E are all in some kind of moron's guild.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
keep going. demand an itemized accout of each item and its charge for labor.

they screwed up by waiting 7 weeks to get back to you, you have the upper hand now.

also, find out if your roommate paid the 250, because if he did, they owe you 25 bucks.

if the total charge to the room after the "minus 25 bucks because it was late" was 200 bucks and the acct has a 250 payment, they owe you 1/2 of that 50 bucks.

it looks like they just chopped 50% to make you happy. if they don't drop it to zero, or don't give you an itemized amount, tell them you need to go to court over the damages and that they better hire a lawyer.

edit - and after they give you the itemized charge for 125 bucks, then demand why you were charged for 500 initially, also request proof with pictures.

then once they did that, say you are not going to pay because you believe their accounting practices are faulty and request the release of all the itemized results of all the rooms.