University cancels Michael Moore speech b4 Election

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
George Mason University on Thursday canceled plans to have "Fahrenheit 9/11" director Michael Moore speak on campus five days before the presidential election.

The decision came after a Republican state legislator wrote a letter to university President Alan G. Merten protesting the Fairfax school's plans to pay the filmmaker $35,000 to speak on Oct. 28.

President's Contact Info

Phone: (703) 993-8700
Fax: (703) 993-8707
Email: amerten@gmu.edu

{Read More}

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ael_moore_university_3

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I agree that taxpayer dollars shouldn't be spent for purely partisan purposes.

What I wonder, though, is if the university has invited pro-Bush speakers and paid them for speaking.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: chess9
I wouldn't pay $5 to hear Moore speak. Good grief, $35,000?

-Robert

that seems pretty low compared to a lot of names as big.
im pretty sure someone like vonnegut is about 2x as expensive.

(i just pulled that name because 1. i know about how much he would charge and 2. i dig him.)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I read Vonnegut's last book and would pay $5 to hear him speak. :)

I'm afraid he's well past his prime but he is infintely more interesting than Moore.

-Robert

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
FYI: The BOV (ruling body) is made up of hardcore Republicans - THe Previous rector was Edwin Meese of Ronald Reagan fame

He served as the 75th attorney general of the United States from 1985 to 1988. Before that service, he held the position of counselor to the president from 1981 to 1985. In this capacity, he functioned as the president's chief policy adviser and had management responsibility for the administration of the cabinet, policy development, and planning and evaluation. At that time, he was also a member of the president's cabinet and the National Security Council.

Meese headed the transition team following the 1980 presidential election. During the campaign, he served as chief of staff and senior issues adviser for the Reagan-Bush Committee.

Formerly, Meese served as Governor Reagan's executive assistant and chief of staff in California from 1969 to 1974 and as legal affairs secretary from 1967 to 1968.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur

What I wonder, though, is if the university has invited pro-Bush speakers and paid them for speaking.

I wouldn't agree to that either. Not even if it were Bush himself.....schools shouldn't be paying and pushing an agenda on the students like that. If they need to do anything is have people that would help the school have a debate itself or have people come in to talk to the students from different sides.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Well they had Cornel West speak in Sept. - think he's pro-Bush?

This is what passes for balance in academia - "We'll invite a black liberal, but we'll balance him with a white liberal!" Still no word on any Asian or Hispanic liberals . . .

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Well they had Cornel West speak in Sept. - think he's pro-Bush?

This is what passes for balance in academia - "We'll invite a black liberal, but we'll balance him with a white liberal!" Still no word on any Asian or Hispanic liberals . . .

LOL...

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
"the Fairfax school's plans to pay the filmmaker $35,000 to speak on Oct. 28."

"I wouldn't pay $5 to hear Moore speak. Good grief, $35,000?"

Why pay anything when you can hear his spew on this forum for free??