Universe Sandbox

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This popped up on Steam a few days ago. I snatched it up when I saw it just cause I like that type of stuff. I gotta say, been playing around with it and have had quite a bit of fun just messing around with various things and watching galaxies collide with one another.

If you are into the whole space thing and gravity/simulation type of stuff I recommend it. Hard to beat for the current $9 it is on sale for right now.

Has anyone else picked it up?

Mar 10, 2005
for $9 i jump in it. may be a bit before i play tho

edit:
why does mercury get ejected in the year 2100?

Last edited:

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
edit:
why does mercury get ejected in the year 2100?

In order to get it to work on normal computers, the simulation isn't all that accurate. The faster you set the time to pass, the more errors there will be and more unpredictable the behavior of the objects.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
i went ahead and picked this up last night. its pretty fun. controls can be a little funky sometimes.

I put another jupiter orbiting between mercury and venus. it took a few hundred years to really start seeing the orbits going haywaire. another few jupiters and a neptune later and i had all kinds of bodies being ejected from the solar system. :D

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Question, because I'm curious what this game entails. I've played with a number of flash games that simulate what appears to be similar type things (orbits and whatnot). I'm just curious what's so special about this to make it worth $10 (on sale) over everything else?

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I used the free version for a while, but decided to pay for it in order to support the developer. He's put a lot of work into over the past couple of years and I felt he deserved some financial reward.

I know that the next big thing is to make the program multi-threaded which should bring about both great performance increase and better accuracy(no more moons flying off unexpectedly).

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Does it do tidal forces breaking up bodies or are they all rigid?

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
All rigid, at least as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any option in it to simulate tidal force.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
i was dissapointed the planatary bodies dont break up, but that would need a lot of horse power to simulate something like that.