Unique AMD/EPoX motherboard situation

CCGOps

Jun 27, 2000
Greetings--

I recently learned about your site, and like what I've seen so far. I'm looking forward to seeing followup reviews on motherboards that will support AMD's Duron/Thunderbird CPUs.

I've stumbled across a unique situation that I'd appreciate any of who may read this could look into.

I recently purchased an EPoX Int'l EP-MVP3C2 (AT form factor) motherboard -- based in part on AnandTech's reviews -- to upgrade an existing system (I was also looking to purchase the EP-MVP3G5 [ATX] for another system, but I'm holding off until I see more Duron/Thunderbird-supported boards shake out by 1st-2nd Qtr of 2001 -- based on initial reviews of the new CPU).

In looking for a CPU for the EP-MVP3C2, I've priced AMD's K6-2/550 for between $60 (OEM) to about $85 (Retail boxed) -- not bad, considering I paid $75 for a regular K6/200 two years ago.

However, TigerDirect and other smaller vendors are offering a K6-III/350 3DX (2.1v-2.3v) CPU from $40 to $47 -- a very good price, considering it sports 256K of L2 cache, whereas the K6-2/550 only has 128K.

Additionally, I've priced the K6-III 400 at $124, and the K6-III 450 at $224 -- too expensive, since I'm not compelled to be on the "bleeding edge" of having the latest and greatest.

The problem is this; AMD's Tech Support states the K6-III/350 was manufactured for a specific customer and is not a regular production product; there is no warranty or support for the product, nor documentation to support it or recommended motherboards, since the K6-III is an "end of life product" (as you may know, the K6-III line has been discontinued, due to its overlap with the Athlon line, plus it was expensive to produce with the additional L2 cache)

Ironically, the K6-2 line is still being manufactured, with improvements still being made to the product.

According to EPoX Tech Support, they were not aware AMD's K6-III/350 existed; They say their board will only support a K6-III in the 400-450Mhz range (as well as K6-2's up to 550Mhz).

HOWEVER, according to the EP-MVP3C2 owner's manual under the K6/K6-2/K6-III column, they show jumper and Vcore voltage settings for a 350Mhz CPU that the board apparently *will* support.

My Question to you on this Forum is this: does anyone have personal experience with this particular K6-III CPU and can recommend its usage, or should I stick with a K6-2 in the 500-550Mhz range?

I don't want to make a $50 mistake by getting the wrong CPU, but at that price with the additional L2 cache, it's very tempting -- and half the price of a K6-2/550.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, I can always purchase the K6-2 550, and give the K6-III to my mother to upgrade her K6-166(!).

Thank you, in advance, for your time and consideration in this matter.

~JS~

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
>>>>However, TigerDirect and other smaller vendors are offering a K6-III/350 3DX (2.1v-2.3v) CPU from $40 to $47 -- a very good price, considering it sports 256K of L2 cache, whereas the K6-2/550 only has 128K. <<<<<

Are you absolutely sure it's a K6-3 350? ,could be a typing error.
K6-2's don't have any on die L2 cache (the mobile K6-2+ does though)

>>>According to EPoX Tech Support, they were not aware AMD's K6-III/350 existed; They say their board will only support a K6-III in the 400-450Mhz range (as well as K6-2's up to 550Mhz).

HOWEVER, according to the EP-MVP3C2 owner's manual under the K6/K6-2/K6-III column, they show jumper and Vcore voltage settings for a 350Mhz CPU that the board apparently *will* support.<<<<<

As long as the board supports the K6-3's then a lower multiplier shouldn't be a problem ,afterall a K6-3 is just a K6-2 with on die L2 cache (more or less ;))

I'm afraid I have no personal experience on this (k6-3's that is) ,but I used to have a K6-2 350 which could be run at x3 or x4 amongst other settings with no problems.

Anyone run a K6-3 on a x3.5 multiplier?

>>>On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, I can always purchase the K6-2 550, and give the K6-III to my mother to upgrade her K6-166(!).<<<<

Careful ,many older S7 mother boards won't support K6-2's ,let alone K6-3's ,usually it's the cpu voltage that is the problem

CCGOps

Jun 27, 2000
>>>Are you absolutely sure it's a K6-3 350? ,could be a typing error.
>>>K6-2's don't have any on die L2 cache (the mobile K6-2+ does >>>though)

I'm certain it's *not* a typo; I've confirmed the CPU's existance via TigerDirect Customer Service, AMD Tech Support and three other independent vendors who carry the CPU.

>>>On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, I can always purchase the K6-2 550, and give the K6-III to my mother to upgrade her K6-166(!).
>>>Careful ,many older S7 mother boards won't support K6-2's ,let >>>alone K6-3's ,usually it's the cpu voltage that is the problem

It goes without saying that I'll upgrade the mainboard (probably an EPoX EP-MVP3G2) at the same time as the CPU for my Mom (the board she has maxxes out on a Pentium 233)

Thanks for your input so far.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
K6-III 350 2.2V sounds like one of the original K6-IIIP &quot;mobile&quot; types. No changes from a normal K6-III, other than that they are specially selected for lower core voltage (it was 2.4V for desktop K6-III when the 2.2V &quot;P&quot;s were made), and run at low frequencies to bring the power consumption down further. And they are allowed higher temperatures as well. Today's K6-IIIP are 2.0V while the latest desktop parts were 2.2V.

So a mainboard capable of running faster and more hungry K6-III should easily be capable of running a K6-III/350.

Note that the &quot;P&quot; parts aren't even marked as such, you can just tell from the voltage and temperature ratings. They have the same case, the same pinout, all unchanged.

AMD's &quot;Mobile K6-III Datasheet&quot;, document 22655 rev. C, lists K6-III 2.2V at 350, 366, and 380 MHz. The /350 is rated 8.5A maximum power draw and 16 Watts heat dissipation. These are K6-III/xxxAFK, meaning 80°C maximum case temperature. Nothing to fear.

Standard K6-III/450 2.4V was 13.5A, 29.5W, 65°C ...

Regards, Peter