Uninsured Woman Received a Bill for Over $34,000 for Coronavirus Testing and Treatment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
No one has the "right" to someone else's labor.
Look at this guy shitting all over southerners “heritage”.
jnHWXN4.gif

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Go to the hospital and get a 34K bill? The fuck is wrong with all of you? Thank fuck I live in Canada.

Healthcare is a basic human right. Peroid. End of discussion. The "greatest" country on the planet should be able to afford all its citizens basic human needs without exorbitant costs being passed on to the patient.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I don`t need to know how many of anything was done on this woman! I read the article and posted accordingly!
To answer one of your questions -- if her treatment was recieved due to the coronavirus -- her bill should be zero dollars!!
There is nothing to justify this amount!
Now I do know hospital emergency doctors are allowed to do certain tests that might or might not lead to a diagnoisis! All we have is the article to go on! As such if everything was corona virus related then she should be charged nothing!!
In late February, Danni Askini, contacted an oncologist who had been treating her lymphoma, to report that she was experiencing chest pain, shortness of breath and a migraine, TIME reported.
Although all symptoms of the widespread virus, formally called COVID-19, her doctor thought she was likely having a bad reaction to some medication and sent her to a Boston emergency room, which in turn told her she likely had pneumonia, according to the outlet.
After coming down with a fever and a nasty cough, Askini made two more trips to the emergency room and was eventually given a test, which confirmed she had been infected with the virus.
Days after receiving the test results, Askini got a bill from the hospital for $34,927.43.

Here is the bill according to her twitter post. It doesn't look complete. She was charged $907 for the COVID-19 test. I can't tell if all of the charges were COVID-19 related.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Go to the hospital and get a 34K bill? The fuck is wrong with all of you? Thank fuck I live in Canada.

Healthcare is a basic human right. Peroid. End of discussion. The "greatest" country on the planet should be able to afford all its citizens basic human needs without exorbitant costs being passed on to the patient.

That's nothing. Go to the hospital with heart problems and get a few stents for $100K+

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Hopefully one of the outcomes from this pandemic is the realization that for profit health care, and health care tied to employment, are fault lines in our society that will split open under stress.

The Corps of Engineers should also be investing in capabilities to rapidly build hospitals in the event of a surge demand or quarantine event like a pandemic.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Look at this guy shitting all over southerners “heritage”.
jnHWXN4.gif

Funny you bring that up. I was going to mention how just about everyone in this post seems to long for the pre-American civil war days. Sickening.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No one has the "right" to someone else's labor.

And again the people providing care should fully compensated and care fully given to those who need it. Send the bill to Trump and be have it paid in timely fashion. He can just do an executive order and take money from the bloated military because he doesn't GAF about what's Constitutional or proper.

Or do it right and make it part of the package.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Here is the bill according to her twitter post. It doesn't look complete. She was charged $907 for the COVID-19 test. I can't tell if all of the charges were COVID-19 related.

What is your point? Something in the article triggered you enough to try to find more information? Thank You! But again if it was corona virus she should not have to pay a dime!
Just because her bill looks incomplete according to her twitter account does not negate what the article said she was charged....twitter or the article? I would go with the article!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Funny you bring that up. I was going to mention how just about everyone in this post seems to long for the pre-American civil war days. Sickening.
Really? Because that’s where your “let them die and decrease the surplus population” bit comes from and it is sickening.

However since your “morals” are more concerned with payment for services than the lives of your countrymen, if you like I will pray that none of your friend or family who contract this disease show weakness and accept medical help they cannot pay for.
oGUwQ4Y.gif

Or we could be more concerned with protecting our people, reducing the fatality rate, and economic harm to our country.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
What is your point? Something in the article triggered you enough to try to find more information? Thank You! But again if it was corona virus she should not have to pay a dime!
Just because her bill looks incomplete according to her twitter account does not negate what the article said she was charged....twitter or the article? I would go with the article!

LOL, who is the source of information for the article?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
LOL, who is the source of information for the article?
Did you even read the article...or am I arguing with somebody who is questioning every little thing about this virus??
Your going to have to ask the person who wrote the article...

Maria Pasquini
PeopleMarch 20, 2020

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

Here, Herr Kuntz, do you not realise you yanks are getting ripped off by your healthcare system?

Most other developed countries pay less per head and get better results.