Uninstall COD4 Can't re-install...?

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
So I uninstalled COD4 and I guess there were a few folders and other junk left over.

I forgot I had uninstalled it, and I tried to apply the new 1.6 patch. I don't know if that put more junk into those folders or not.

Anyway, I ran uninstaller again and deleted everything I could find that was COD4.

When I tried to re-install from DVD, the game would tell me that I was not an administrator, so it could not install. The User has administration privelages.

I then went into REGEDIT and removed everything that was COD4 and PunkBuster.

Now when I try to install, it will not create the folder needed for the new installations and will error out. "Cannot create D:\COD4" -- exiting.

Well, there's nothing on my HD or in the registry that I can find that is related to the old installation.

Any ideas short of re-installing OS? Google reveals nothing.

Thanks.

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
I uninstalled COD4 as well..but was able to reinstall the game and start over. Aside from your COD4 problem, how does your OS seem to function ? Should it be iffy..I would at least do a repair of your OS and see if that takes care of your situation..sure beats a complete reinstall. Hopefully one of the geeks here can come up with an easier solution for you.

Commish

Jan 11, 2001
I don't know if this will help or not, but the original uninstall may not have completed or removed everything cleanly.

Try the Windows installer clean up utility.

Once you launch it, you will get a list of installed programs, even those that aren't listed in the add/remove programs control panel applet. The rest is self explanatory (easy to navigate user interface). I've used this on a few items for work and it worked each time. Hope this helps, good luck.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
Or...

install it on another computer and copy it over to your computer.

this worked fine for me.

the cdkey (and other settings) are located here in the registry if you need to correct anything, like maybe the install path
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Activision\Call of Duty 4]

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
See..those that know come out of the woodwork to help. That's why I have been an Anandtech member for so long, great forum members here..and knowledgeable as well. Thanks for being here people, for me when in need, and others.

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

Tried Windows Uninstaller and searched the registry some more. No dice.

Looks like OS reinstall, unless of course I can figure out something else.