Unexpected Consequences: Min Wage Hike Fallout

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Spinning the legislative action that gets people off Welfare into a bad thing. Congrats Breitbart, now tell us again how bad Welfare is and that there is nothing Government can do to improve Peoples lives.

Jan 25, 2011
If you can show that O'Keefe knew the guy had contacted police, then I'd have no problem agreeing that Breitbart published "lies." No problem at all.

Far greater lies [inaccuracies] were posted in this thread.

Jesus the guy edited the videos to make it appear that he did these meetings dressed like a pimp. What more needs to be said at that point?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If you can show that O'Keefe knew the guy had contacted police, then I'd have no problem agreeing that Breitbart published "lies." No problem at all.

How do you breath?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

O'keefe is lower than scum. Quit defending the guy simply because he hates the same things you hate. Anyone who uses dishonesty to accomplish their goals should be a pariah to all, because if honesty doesn't work there's likely a reason for it. That reason being that the hatred motivating the dishonesty is not based on good reasoning.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
O'keefe is lower than scum. Quit defending the guy simply because he hates the same things you hate. Anyone who uses dishonesty to accomplish their goals should be a pariah to all, because if honesty doesn't work there's likely a reason for it. That reason being that the hatred motivating the dishonesty is not based on good reasoning.

I honestly do not like O'Keefe. Not at all.

I'm not going to condemn Breitbart for not turning O'Keefe away. Turning him away would have been stupid. There was an actual story there. A somewhat sensational one.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

I'm not going to condemn Breitbart for not turning O'Keefe away. Turning him away would have been stupid. There was an actual story there. A somewhat sensational one.

Oh? What was that "legit" story?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The story was how low someone could stoop to tell a lie.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They didn't receive assistance from ACORN while pretending to be operating an illegal sex trade?

Here we are years later and we see this retardation still. I have no faith in the human race at this point.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Oh? What was that "legit" story?

They didn't receive assistance from ACORN while pretending to be operating an illegal sex trade?

Are you asking me or are you telling me? I asked you a question, answer it.

Answer: O'Keefe and Giles received assistance from numerous ACORN offices while pretending to be operating an illegal sex trade.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Here we are years later and we see this retardation still. I have no faith in the human race at this point.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Answer: O'Keefe and Giles received assistance from numerous ACORN offices while pretending to be operating an illegal sex trade.

How can you think this is true? He went in 2 times and recorded both and then edited them together to "make" the story he wanted to make.

You need to get up to speed on modern video editing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

No they didnt. They received assistance and then went in again and looked crazy and asked crazy questions and edited the 2 encounters into 1. Stop being stupid.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
lmao. Run away run away. Fucking Georgia people. How can you be so stupid? 5 years later and still thinking that was something?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
No they didnt. They received assistance and then went in again and looked crazy and asked crazy questions and edited the 2 encounters into 1. Stop being stupid.

You're telling someone who eats, drinks, and breathes stupid to stop.

You realize how well that is going to turn out, right?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I just cant believe how far people go to keep internal beliefs alive. I fucking hate us. We dont deserve this planet.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
How can you think this is true? He went in 2 times and recorded both and then edited them together to "make" the story he wanted to make.

You need to get up to speed on modern video editing.

Is that right?

Source?

No matter where it comes from, I'll read it with an open mind.
mmfa?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
lmao. Run away run away. Fucking Georgia people. How can you be so stupid? 5 years later and still thinking that was something?

Mature. "Run away?" No. Trying to find something to back up your previous statement.

Perhaps you could do me a favor. This forum is crashing the hell out of my iPad.

Be mature/civil about it, please.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Is that right?

Source?

No matter where it comes from, I'll read it with an open mind.
mmfa?

All of this is from okeefes wiki page

"
Reception

After the videos were released through the fall of 2009, the U.S. Congress voted to freeze federal funding to ACORN.[42] The Census Bureau and the IRS terminated their contract relationships with ACORN.[43]
By December 2009, an external investigation of ACORN was published that cleared it of any illegality, while noting that its poor management practices contributed to unprofessional actions by some low-level employees.[44][45][46][47] In March 2010, ACORN announced it would dissolve due to loss of funding from government and especially private sources.[48]
On March 1, 2010, the district attorney for Brooklyn found that there was no criminal wrongdoing by the ACORN staff in New York.[49][50]
In late March 2010, Clark Hoyt, then public editor for The New York Times, reviewed the videos, full transcripts and full audio. Hoyt wrote "The videos were heavily edited. The sequence of some conversations was changed. Some workers seemed concerned for Giles, one advising her to get legal help. In two cities, ACORN workers called the police. But the most damning words match the transcripts and the audio, and do not seem out of context."[51]
The California Attorney General's Office granted O'Keefe and Giles limited immunity from prosecution in exchange for providing the full, unedited videotapes related to ACORN offices in California.[10] The AG's Report was released on April 1, 2010, concluding that the videos from ACORN offices in Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Bernardino had been "severely edited."[10] The report found there was no evidence of criminal conduct on the part of ACORN employees nor any evidence that any employee intended to aid or abet criminal conduct. It found that three employees had tried to deflect the couple's plans, told them ACORN could not offer them help on the grounds they wanted, and otherwise dealt with them appropriately. Such context was not reflected in O'Keefe's edited tapes. The AG's Report noted that "O'Keefe stated that he was out to make a point and to damage ACORN and therefore did not act as a journalist objectively reporting a story", and because the Giles-O'Keefe criminal plans were a ruse, the ACORN workers could not be complicit in them. It found no evidence of intent by the employees to aid the couple. The report also noted "a serious and glaring deficit in management, governance and accountability within the ACORN organization" and said its conduct "suggests an organizational ethos at odds with the norms of American society. Empowering and serving low-and moderate-income families cannot be squared with counseling and encouraging illegal activities."[10]
The AG's report confirmed that ACORN employee Juan Carlos Vera, shown in O'Keefe's video as apparently aiding a human smuggling proposal, had immediately reported his encounter with the couple to a Mexican police detective at the time to thwart their plan. Following the AG's report, that employee, who had been fired by ACORN after the video's release, sued O'Keefe and Giles in 2010. He alleged invasion of privacy and cited a California law that prohibits recordings without consent of all parties involved.[52]
O'Keefe moved for summary judgment in his favor, arguing that the plaintiff had no reasonable expectation that the conversation would be private. In August 2012, the federal judge hearing the case denied O'Keefe's motion for summary judgment. The judge ruled that O'Keefe had "misled plaintiff to believe that the conversation would remain confidential by posing as a client seeking services from ACORN and asking whether their conversation was confidential."[53] On March 5, 2013, O'Keefe agreed to pay Vera $100,000 and acknowledged in the settlement that at the time he published his video he was unaware that Vera had notified the police about the incident. The settlement contained the following apology: "O'Keefe regrets any pain suffered by Mr. Vera or his family."[54][55]
On June 14, 2010, the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) published its report finding no evidence that ACORN, or any of its related organizations, had mishandled any of the $40 million in federal money which they had received in recent years."

and media matters:

Fact: On the guerilla clips posted online and aired on Fox News, O'Keefe was featured in lots of cutaway shots that were filmed outside and showed him parading around with Giles in his outlandish cane/top hat/sunglasses/fur coat pimp costume.
The cutaway shots certainly left the impression that that's how O'Keefe was dressed when he spoke to ACORN workers.
20100216-column_okeefe.jpg

But inside each and every office, according to one independent review that looked at the public videos, O'Keefe entered sans the pimp get-up. In fact, he was dressed rather conservatively. During his visit to the Baltimore ACORN office, he wore a dress shirt and khaki pants. For the Philadelphia sting, he added a tie to the ensemble.

^^^

http://mediamatters.org/research/2010/02/17/james-okeefe-and-the-myth-of-the-acorn-pimp/160485

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Mature. "Run away?" No. Trying to find something to back up your previous statement.

Perhaps you could do me a favor. This forum is crashing the hell out of my iPad.

Be mature/civil about it, please.

How could we be half a decade away from this and you know nothing about it? You need to change your sources of information in a big fucking way. Its fucking ALARMING and disgusting that your filtered sources keep things from you.