Unemployment falls in seven swing states

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I agree with you, but Obama obviously does not else he would not have made the claims he made. Either that or Obama knew and was just lying to everything with the understand that most people are idiots who believe his lies.

Either way, not a good thing. I take Obama to task for the things Obama claimed. Had he not made the claims there would be nothing to take him to task for. Squarely his fault...Obama cannot blame Bush for the things Obama has said.

There is another possible answer. He, well actually his advisors, could have just been plain wrong at the time. People are wrong sometimes, I tend to look at how they react and adjust strategy/thinking after they figure out they are wrong more than the original mistake.

Hell, even if he flat out lied he is a damn politician. Thats not very newsworthy, as sad as that is.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Now, you're just being stupid...I never claimed the above. Also, we may never know what could've been done, because Congress wasn't willing to try.

I don't buy that excuse for a moment. Just because Congress might not be willing to try doesn't mean you just throw your hands up and don't try yourself. You are basically stating that when met with opposition Obama is going to simply give up.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
For the first two years didn't Obama have a super majority, or filibusterproof, Congress?

Despite this having been discussed at length many times, it's amazing that you still seem to believe in falsehood. It's unbecoming on you.

Counting some rather unreliable Dems and 1 independent, Dems had 60 votes in the Senate for only a few months prior to Ted Kennedy being incapacitated & unable to attend. That ended the so-called filibuster proof majority. When Scott Brown replaced him, it set in stone Repubs abilities to obstruct legislation, which they've done with a vengeance.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Now, you're just being stupid...I never claimed the above. Also, we may never know what could've been done, because Congress wasn't willing to try.

You claimed congress filibustered Obama, which prevented him from doing what he said he would do. I asked you to be more specific about what they filibustered and you got all butt hurt over it.

You really did not expect to be blindly believed, did you?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
There is another possible answer. He, well actually his advisors, could have just been plain wrong at the time. People are wrong sometimes, I tend to look at how they react and adjust strategy/thinking after they figure out they are wrong more than the original mistake.

Hell, even if he flat out lied he is a damn politician. Thats not very newsworthy, as sad as that is.

Yeah, if he came out and said he was wrong for ever making those claims, I would give him a nod for his unusual honesty and no longer hold him to task for his claims. Him saying he is a continual screw up who makes mistakes on a daily basis is not good enough - it is a cop out even if it is true.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He said it would when he demanded the Trillion Dollar spending spree...and he also said we should consider him to be a one term president if he did not both fix it AND cut the deficit in half. Just taking Obama at his own words.

I find it interesting you are defending it as a good thing that Obama's term as president did nothing to improve unemployment over the last 4 years.

I think that Obama made those claims on the assumption that Repubs would be willing to pitch in & to compromise for the good of the Country. Obviously, he was terribly mistaken in that regard.

He assumed honest intentions where none exist. Repubs have intentionally stifled recovery in hopes of regaining the White House, and to advantage the true Bush constituency.

The best time to be Rich is when everybody else is busted, broke, in debt & begging. That's when you can really administer an economic beatdown, increase your own power & position.

Your reference to unemployment numbers is equally dishonest. Employment was in freefall when Obama took office, the economy more deeply wounded than anybody really understood, thanks to the excesses allowed during the Bush years-

061512krugman3-blog480.jpg

The only reason it hasn't been a lot worse is massive intervention with TARP, QE, & what little stimulus Dems could get through Congress.

Attempting to divert discussion from what's actually happened & been done to what was said & believed to be possible at the time is one of your standard misdirection plays. It was really a lot worse than anybody imagined, and Repubs have done what they could to keep it that way, to hold working people hostage to the whims of the Rich.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I think that Obama made those claims on the assumption that Repubs would be willing to pitch in & to compromise for the good of the Country. Obviously, he was terribly mistaken in that regard.

Compromise is not "do what I demand when I demand it". We both know Obama and the dems had no plans on compromising either. In fact, they proved it with Obamacare.

He assumed honest intentions where none exist. Repubs have intentionally stifled recovery in hopes of regaining the White House, and to advantage the true Bush constituency.

So you are saying Obama is an idiot who should never be allowed to be President because he has no clue how our government works. Thanks for the honesty.

Your reference to unemployment numbers is equally dishonest.

You are saying Obama is so dumb he did not know what was happening in the economy when he made his claims? You really hate Obama that much?

Face it, Obama failed in his claims and told us he should be considered a one term president if he failed. The interviewer tried hard to make him shut up as he was saying it, but Obama went on and made the claim anyway. It appears you think he is so stupid he honestly thought he could fulfill his claim when it was obvious to everyone he would need divine intervention to do it.

Last edited: