Unemployment falls in seven swing states

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Jimminey cricket, I wonderhow much money obama had to give them to skew the facts THAT much. Though, he probobly cheaped out on nevada to save some cash.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I believe that trend has been in place for quite some time:

StateUnemploySept2012.jpg

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2012/10/state-unemployment-rates-decreased-in.html

http://www.bls.gov/lau/

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Jimminey cricket, I wonderhow much money obama had to give them to skew the facts THAT much. Though, he probobly cheaped out on nevada to save some cash.

When the unemployment news is bad, Righties fluff it up, accept it as gospel, blame Obama.

When it's good, they claim conspiracy... blame Obama.

Obviously, it's all Obama's fault. Everything.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Finally back down to where it was when Obama took office...and we are to be HAPPY about that? Maybe gas will do the same thing...that is something to be happy about, but will never happen.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Finally back down to where it was when Obama took office...and we are to be HAPPY about that? Maybe gas will do the same thing...that is something to be happy about, but will never happen.

Yeah, it goes up then goes down. Imagine that. Did you think it would start to decrease after he took office?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
He said it would when he demanded the Trillion Dollar spending spree...and he also said we should consider him to be a one term president if he did not both fix it AND cut the deficit in half. Just taking Obama at his own words.

I find it interesting you are defending it as a good thing that Obama's term as president did nothing to improve unemployment over the last 4 years.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
He said it would when he demanded the Trillion Dollar spending spree...and he also said we should consider him to be a one term president if he did not both fix it AND cut the deficit in half. Just taking Obama at his own words.

I find it interesting you are defending it as a good thing that Obama's term as president did nothing to improve unemployment over the last 4 years.
Do you find it taxing twisting your brain into knots like that?

I mean, how do you keep track of the myriad rationalizations that allow you to believe that every democrat is wrong, at all times, and every Republican is right, at all times?

Or do you just get all this from a cheat sheet to save the mental gymnastics?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wow, another person who is happy Obama did not do as he claimed he would do, and then gets all butt hurt when someone calls him out on it.

You are actually happy Obama spent the last 4 years getting unemployment to the same place it was 4 years ago? o_O The nation is doomed when people like you can vote.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Wow, another person who is happy Obama did not do as he claimed he would do, and then gets all butt hurt when someone calls him out on it.

You are actually happy Obama spent the last 4 years getting unemployment to the same place it was 4 years ago? o_O The nation is doomed when people like you can vote.
I'm not upset, I just really want to know how you do it?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
When the unemployment news is bad, Righties fluff it up, accept it as gospel, blame Obama.

When it's good, they claim conspiracy... blame Obama.

Obviously, it's all Obama's fault. Everything.

You may get your chance to do that to Romney.

With 2 weeks to go, I'm not sure people will 'feel' the recovery quite the way these numbers indicate.

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

Have you looked at Reagan's numbers in his first term? IIRC, he only lowered unemployment .5 %.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Why do you demand of others what you do not do yourself?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Why do you demand of others what you do not do yourself?

I vow to do everything I say I will do when I run for president. I do not demand Obama do anything I am unwilling to do myself. How about you, would you uphold your promises and claims when you run for president?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I promise not to vote for Reagan in this upcoming election. Do you promise not to vote for Obama who lowered it by nothing?

Nope. because it wasn't Obama's fault. The economy ,much like gas prices, are beyond their total control, especially when you have a do nothing Congress that provided no help.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Nope. because it wasn't Obama's fault. The economy ,much like gas prices, are beyond their total control, especially when you have a do nothing Congress that provided no help.

I agree with you, but Obama obviously does not else he would not have made the claims he made. Either that or Obama knew and was just lying to everything with the understand that most people are idiots who believe his lies.

Either way, not a good thing. I take Obama to task for the things Obama claimed. Had he not made the claims there would be nothing to take him to task for. Squarely his fault...Obama cannot blame Bush for the things Obama has said.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I agree with you, but Obama obviously does not else he would not have made the claims he made. Either that or Obama knew and was just lying to everything with the understand that most people are idiots who believe his lies.

Either way, not a good thing. I take Obama to task for the things Obama claimed. Had he not made the claims there would be nothing to take him to task for. Squarely his fault...Obama cannot blame Bush for the things Obama has said.

If you make a claim, basing it on the assumption that Congress will work with you (and not against you) for the good of the country, is it still your fault when it doesn't go the way you thought?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If you make a claim, basing it on the assumption that Congress will work with you (and not against you) for the good of the country, is it still your fault when it doesn't go the way you thought?

The dems owned Congress when Obama became President.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You are just mad because the repubs use the dem tactic against them, but do it better. I previously posted a chart showing this and can dig it out if you like. :)

However, what legislation did Obama and company put in that would have fixed the economy AND cut the deficit in half that was also filibustered by the repubs? You claim this is what happened, so it should be easy for you to show it.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Examined over the course of a year, unemployment rates fell in eight of the battleground states – Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Nevada. Only New Hampshire has seen its jobless rate rise over the past year.

“The question for the swing states is whether the improvement over the year is keeping up with the population growth,” says Keith Hall, a senior research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center and a former official at the BLS.

The US population is growing at about 0.8 percent per year. “Any job growth over 1 percent represents progress,” says Mr. Hall. “Many states still have a long way to go before they are full recovered.”

The swing states where unemployment rates fell the most are Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, and Ohio. Florida’s unemployment rate is 8.7 percent, down from 10.4 percent a year ago. North Carolina's dropped from 10.7 percent to 9.6 percent. Nevada is 11.8 percent, down from 13.6 percent. And Ohio's rate fell from 8.6 percent to 7 percent."

http://news.yahoo.com/unemployment-rates-fall-most-swing-states-why-may-205614832.html
(Population growth has been as high as 1.4 - 1.5% in past, according to Morningstar economist Bob Johnson. For same reason, he says that real GDP growth of say 2.3% might be equivalent to a 3% historic comparison, again because of decreased population growth now).

unemployment_error.jpg

20121010_GS2_0.png

"As we have noted recently, the flows between employment and unemployment provide a reasonable amount of information about short-term changes in the unemployment rate. When inflows into unemployment are low and outflows from unemployment are high, the headline unemployment rate has a tendency to decline, and vice versa. In particular, the "flow-consistent" unemployment rate--calculated as the rate at which the actual rate would settle over time if the inflow and outflow rate stayed unchanged--is a decent leading indicator for the actual rate. As recently as three months ago, this simple model was pointing to modest increases in unemployment. Now, however, it is again pointing to declines, as shown in Exhibit 2."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-1...ty-jobs-market

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...jobs-report-where-do-these-numbers-come-from/ (another graph in article appears to indicate the headline jobs created number has margin of error about + / - 100K, presumably because the initial sampling of data is relatively sparse, and gets filled in more accurately as revisions are made on further incoming data). That being said, IIRC, we've been averaging about 175k/month over last year or two with revisions (?)

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2274778&highlight=bls

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You are just mad because the repubs use the dem tactic against them, but do it better. I previously posted a chart showing this and can dig it out if you like. :)

However, what legislation did Obama and company put in that would have fixed the economy AND cut the deficit in half that was also filibustered by the repubs? You claim this is what happened, so it should be easy for you to show it.

Now, you're just being stupid...I never claimed the above. Also, we may never know what could've been done, because Congress wasn't willing to try.