Unemployed people...

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
How much time do you spend looking for work?

Looking for work is depressing. :p

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
When I was unemployeed, I learned that when you're unemployed, your full-time 40 hour a week job is to look for a job.

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
I've been unemployed for the previous month. I spend the majority of my time studying. However, when I'm not studying I'm out looking for a job. It's very difficult for me to find work in a college town. I'd say that most of my friends are unemployed -not by choice.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: crumpet19
I've been unemployed for the previous month. I spend the majority of my time studying. However, when I'm not studying I'm out looking for a job. It's very difficult for me to find work in a college town. I'd say that most of my friends are unemployed -not by choice.
I feel for you and your friends. My friend resorted to grad school because he couldn't find a job after 1 full year of searching. Companies are downsizing while the market is getting saturated with new grads and laid off workers. :(

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
10 months between somewhat secure contract paying job to another somewhat secure contract paying job.
And a 25% pay cut too. :(

But BDawg is right. Treat your unemployment as a job. Schedule time in the morning and afternoon for the job of looking for a job (online, paper, calls). Also, remember to eat, pay bills, sleep (!) like you would if you were working. Good luck!

BTW - what are you job creds (work related strengths) and locale preferences? I can be an additional pair of eyes for ya.

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BDawg
When I was unemployeed, I learned that when you're unemployed, your full-time 40 hour a week job is to look for a job.

I looked for a job all day today... Nearly lost my mind since it's so frustrating, not to mention Insanely boring.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Ciber

I looked for a job all day today... Nearly lost my mind since it's so frustrating, not to mention Insanely boring.

pull out the video games. :)

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Yeah, it sucks. I know what you're going through. The loneliness is worst.

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Kenazo

pull out the video games. :)

The video games are not going to get me a job... I've been doing that and it's really just a waste of time...

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000

Exactly. although sometimes I found it hard to fill the days entirely in the quest for a job I never slept late or took "days off" while looking. I tried to send my resume to at least one company per day. took me 5 months to find work but it certainly wasn't for the lack of trying.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Yeah, it sucks. I know what you're going through. The loneliness is worst.

The loneliness is bad, but the lack of certainty in your life is far worse, imho.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Unemployed???? Unheard of! Bush said we had plenty of jobs. So many that we're thinking about giving some away to illegal immigrants. You must not be a Republican!

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Unemployed???? Unheard of! Bush said we had plenty of jobs. So many that we're thinking about giving some away to illegal immigrants. You must not be a Republican!

Uh oh...you almost owed me a Mt. Dew. :D

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
- Man prays to God to help him win the lottery

- God yells back, "help me out... buy a fvcking ticket!"

Moral of the story... get off your ass ... ;)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Depending on your qualifications, there are possibly hundreds of jobs posted each day across the country.

As you get more desperate, you can look out of your geographical area.

Never site aound the house. If you have to, get to the library and do some reading on information within your field.
You should be able to dig up at least one potential lead a day, research it and contact them.

It does not hurt to go cold calling to find out who in a business handles your skills. Then attempt to contact them.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I spend about 10hrs but it varies depending on how many postings I find on the net and newspapers. Maybe I should do cold calling but I've read that most resumes that are spammed out just get filed away never to be seen again.

I've been unemployed since I graduated last summer. I think that there are virtually no entry level positions in IT right now. I've been to 3 temp agencies and the only job I've been offerred is one in shipping - something that doesn't even require a high school education! I was even rejected from Best Buy when I applied there at the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

I've had an internship in the past and tried to get a position with that company but they've had some hard times (and their "former" execs are in trouble with the law). Half their programmers are now in China which is very ironic because I'm Chinese myself!

Job searching is a sham. Everything I've read tells me that most jobs are placed through networking (viva nepotism!) and college grads have to rely on networking even more than the general population (80% vs 70%).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01

Exactly, over in the P&N Forum according to Rush, Hannity, Bush, CAD & Co and your fellow AT Economy experts that there are more jobs than ever before, that there has been more jobs created since 2000 than lost and that wages are the highest ever by a penny.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
I spend about 10hrs but it varies depending on how many postings I find on the net and newspapers. Maybe I should do cold calling but I've read that most resumes that are spammed out just get filed away never to be seen again.

I've been unemployed since I graduated last summer. I think that there are virtually no entry level positions in IT right now. I've been to 3 temp agencies and the only job I've been offerred is one in shipping - something that doesn't even require a high school education! I was even rejected from Best Buy when I applied there at the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

I've had an internship in the past and tried to get a position with that company but they've had some hard times (and their "former" execs are in trouble with the law). Half their programmers are now from China which is very ironic because I'm Chinese myself!

Job searching is a sham. Everything I've read tells me that most jobs are placed through networking (viva nepotism!) and college grads have to rely on networking even more than the general population (80% vs 70%).

"most jobs are placed through networking"

I invite you guys to please use the Job Networking thread above more than ever as well as post your input on the current environment in the Politics & News Forum area.

Like I said your fellow AT Economy experts that have not had their jobs affected yet believe there is not only nothing wrong with the current Economy and job environment but that it is the best since 1984. They swear by the Government Labor reports and Administration that says so.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I'd say about 2 hours - that's how long it takes me to check all the majors for everything and the local listings for the places I want to be living. After that, it's usually a day of vegging on the computer and taking care of my kids.