understanding society, politics, turmoil, and conflict in the islamic world

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Britannica has issues too but at least they take responsibility for the content they publish, and you can (sorta*) cite Britannica in a university essay. Neither are true about Wikipedia.

*I say sorta because my professors considered encyclopedias to be poor sources in general when compared to hard research by historians, political scientists, academic research papers published in journals, etc.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Britannica has issues too but at least they take responsibility for the content they publish, and you can (sorta*) cite Britannica in a university essay. Neither are true about Wikipedia.

*I say sorta because my professors considered encyclopedias to be poor sources in general when compared to hard research by historians, political scientists, academic research papers published in journals, etc.

Wikipedia takes responsibility for their content by correcting their information. If no one is correcting any certain problem then reach out to one of the many members of Wikipedia who will do something.

Fact is anything and everything can have false information and bias so more sources is possibly going to be more accurate than any one paper especially since we are getting more and more submitted articles full of fraud and bias and journals who are dropping in reputation because of their focus on finances meaning they are accepting articles they know are not worth anything.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
and what if no-one reaches out for months and months, and in that time someone relies on that information? a few years back a couple friends and I got woefully drunk and edited all sorts of crap into Wikipedia articles. I remember seeing several of them still there, 6-12 months later. it is not an "encyclopaedia." it is a website where any Johnny Sixpack can add any old content. they fact that there are numerous well-meaning people trying to constantly add detailed, correct information, makes it even harder to filter out the nonsense

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
There is not much to understand other than world is FULL of shitty people. And we make them even more shittier while trying to get rich off them.

There you have it

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Nobody likes to have something defined even when it is true when it goes against their own modus operandi belief system. Of course they would call out the defined article no matter where it is hosted online or in a book.