Underrated/Forgotten feature of the A64?

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
Everywhere I've been reading has claims that the A64 is so much more "snappier" than other processors because of its Integrated Memory Controller. To me, this is more important than every other benchmark except maybe gaming FPS benchmarks. If internet explorer opens in 0.1 seconds instead of 0.5 seconds, thats a big deal after awhile, IMO. I'm always opening IE, AIM, and tons of other programs constantly....and I think that's the biggest reason why people that use your computer would say "WOW.. this thing is fast." Makes ya feel good inside doesn't it? I know Anand runs "General Usage" benchmarks in which AMD generally does better in, so would this benchmark be what I'm describing?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I know what you mean. I have one app that's a slow launcher (by my standards) even after it's cached in system memory, and that's Ulead PhotoImpact 6. It takes about 4 seconds to launch from a 15000rpm SCSI drive and about 1 second to launch from RAM on an nForce2 dual-channel board. I wouldn't mind seeing that chopped in half. Call me picky ;)

sellmen

May 4, 2003
The two most appealing features of the A64 to me are how cool it runs, and the responsiveness as you mentioned. It is very difficult to tell the difference between 150 and 170 frames per second in a game, but cool/quiet operation and general responsiveness are extremely noticable.