Underpants-based sexual consent rather than verbal... interesting one Ireland

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...wear-rape-trial-cork-sex-latest-a8625871.html

In her closing address, senior counsel Elizabeth O’Connell told the jury they should have regard for the fact the woman was wearing a thong with a lace front, according to The Irish Examiner.
“Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone? You have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front,” she said.

If your underpants consents, you must be having consensual sex!

Just another step closer to toaster marriage.

Jan 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure a lot of woman have dressed "just in case" and ultimately not wanted to do a thing. Do we really still have people using this argument in this day and age?!

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
A bit of an old story, and it's sadly not surprising that a defense attorney would pull out the stops protecting a client, but still... ugh. It's a reminder that sexism is still alive in the 21st century, and that women aren't immune from perpetuating it. I mean, just look at all the American women who voted against their own interests by supporting Trump.

Reactions: cytg111

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
A bit of an old story, and it's sadly not surprising that a defense attorney would pull out the stops protecting a client, but still... ugh. It's a reminder that sexism is still alive in the 21st century, and that women aren't immune from perpetuating it. I mean, just look at all the American women who voted against their own interests by supporting Trump.

They only wish Trump had grabbed 'em by the pussy.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
A female barrister tried that? Start disbarment proceedings immediatly.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Don’t forget to get the shirt!
nnNO3Li.jpg

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are three basic notions of sex and gender issues that I think are present in our society. One is the traditional notions represented by conservatives, another the modernist notions of sex and gender based on reason, and a newer notion that gender differences must be stamped out to account for basic gender and sex stereotypes. There are good and bad points to each way of seeing things and a proper way to address the issue, I would say, would be to take the best of theses views and try to keep them and eliminate the fanatical sides of each. What that will look like will evolve over time and would be facilitated by good will from all sides.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
When cases come down to he said / she said, what are people to do besides grasp at straws?

Eh, I don't think that barristers are meant to make shit up, like the idea that one's underwear has a bearing on a particular sexual encounter being consensual. Your post sounds like an endorsement of her behaviour, and I don't know if you intended it that way.

If you want to marry your toaster, go for it.

We don't judge.

Toaster marriage is a running joke on this forum after a user (I think it was nehalem256) on the topic of gay marriage consistently referred to it as a slippery slope scenario that would seemingly inevitably result in people marrying their toasters. He had a serious toaster fixation.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Well, I guess it all comes down to the model of toaster...

I'll take both blonds. :cool:

Reactions: whm1974

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Cylons used to have little red lights sliding back and forth on their metal heads. Maybe I need to give the new BG a try.