Underclocking an Asus EAH 3450 AGP card

Regk

Apr 14, 2009
Hi All,

Here is my quest, I have been using this card for a while at stock settings in a dell optiplex gx240 sff case as my htpc card. My issues is that this card runs HOT. I attribute this to the fact that there is next to no room in the case, I want to say that the card runs around 70C under minimal load according to the asus/ati dash. This seems very high to me even in a cramped case. I have seen fanless versions of this card so something does nto add up. however with the case open temps drop approx 25C. I am wondering, with this agp card I have to use the asus drivers, is there any way for me to underclock the card? I am hoping to have it run a little cooler and not have these random crashes, etc.

Last edited:

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
If you're not mounting a monitor on top of it, I'd cut a hole in the side door above the video card. For additional cooling, mount a fan onto that hole, but you'll probably have to mount it on the outside. I'm not familiar with the stock case cooling, you'd have to test for yourself if that fan would work better as intake or exhaust.

Realistically you should get a new case. Verifiable case airflow issues like that (25C difference!) will cause problems with more than just your videocard.

Regk

Apr 14, 2009
the drivers that I must use for the card are provided by ASUS, so I have very little option. they will not let me drop below the stock settings. I have thought abot taking a dremel to this case but eventually I would like to either donate the pc to charity or as a hand me down for family.