Underclock/undervolting Kaveri

flyinfinni

Apr 1, 2013
Has anyone tried underclocking/undervolting Kaveri chips to see what kind of power savings and performance you can get out of them?
I'm looking to put together an HTPC and since the Kaveri A8-7600 (65/45W selectable TDP part) is not yet available, I'm interested in how much I can scale down one of the current Kaveri parts without sacrificing too much performance. Really want to stick with an APU so I can avoid having to get a discrete GPU and be able to push the smallest form factor possible. The intel GPU is really not capable of what I'm looking to do.
Has anyone tried reducing the power of the current Kaveri chips, or would someone that has one and a Kill-a-watt be willing to step theirs down a bit and get a few data points for me?
Thanks,
Flyinfinni

flyinfinni

Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for the link-interesting to see the performance changes! Thats PART of what I was looking for. Only problem is that one doesn't actually have the power used, and AMD specifically said that the A8-7600 is the only one that is designed for the configurable TDP. The A10 is clearly being adjusted, but we really don't know what its actually pulling. That article with added actual power draw measurements to match the settings to real power numbers would be far more useful than that article actually was.