Unconscious Racism is a Personal Failing, Not a Moral Failing

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Prejudice/suspicion toward other groups different from our own is an unfortunate remnant of our evolutionary past, which acted as a survival mechanism to quickly identify threats. Like other adaptations such as preference for sweet food or quickness to anger, it is an underlying tendency which we as enlightened modern humans do our best to suppress and fight against.

What does this mean for our current debate about race in America? It means that as much as we strive for MLK's ideal of judging people as individuals rather than by their group/racial identity, the fact that we fall short is not entirely within our control. So when somebody unfairly judges someone, this is usually a personal failing, not necessarily a moral one.

I think people are too hasty to attribute malice where there is only misjudgment. The truth is that most people want to live and let live, most people strive to treat all humans as equal. In most cases when we fall short is a failure of intelligence, a failure of our own judgment faculties, not a moral failure.

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Racism perhaps in the sense that it is a belief, but not necessarily prejudice, which is a behavior.

Prejudice is an intellectual failure that can be caused by a lot of factors, and it's something we are all subject to.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
conservatives are an unfortunate remnant of our evolutionary past

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
When I was a yout, I was prejudiced against developmentally disabled folks mostly due to fear of the unknown. I learned better after working with them. I also believe the armed services are one of the few successes we've had in the war against racism. They have been successful because the culture within the military doesn't accept it. There is a lesson to learn here in our respective cultures.

Reactions: J.Wilkins

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Racist Christians are racist because they're part of a racist cult. As it is with our Muslim and Jewish amigos. If created, then why not unequally? You're either explicitly told you're superior and privileged or at least the basic premise of creation allows for inherent differences. Could have been a baking incident. Fuck nose.

If you aren't religious then racism isn't even really possible. There's no gene for race. There's no method for classifying us into discrete races. Racism is simply untenable. It's a non issue, unless you're religious.

As for "unconscious racism," that's just ridiculous. Do they mean religious people?

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Prejudice/suspicion toward other groups different from our own is an unfortunate remnant of our evolutionary past, which acted as a survival mechanism to quickly identify threats.

That's a pretty big assumption to hang the rest of your argument on.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
This is more of an argument over political correctness. When the politics change the viewpoints differ. History like politics is very ugly.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Racism is taught.
Yep its a nurtured attribute and until you change at the individual level it will continue to be the status quo. I've noticed that some of the most ardent accusers of others being racist are themselves at the same level or worse than those they point fingers at.

I see people as individuals and judge them by the content of their character irrespective of their physical appearance. If everybody would do that the world would be a better place.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Racist Christians are racist because they're part of a racist cult. As it is with our Muslim and Jewish amigos. If created, then why not unequally? You're either explicitly told you're superior and privileged or at least the basic premise of creation allows for inherent differences. Could have been a baking incident. Fuck nose.

If you aren't religious then racism isn't even really possible. There's no gene for race. There's no method for classifying us into discrete races. Racism is simply untenable. It's a non issue, unless you're religious.

As for "unconscious racism," that's just ridiculous. Do they mean religious people?
Maybe there are more religious racists in America but I'm sure around the woris there are racist secular peoples... For example, I'm in Japan there are a ton of racists but I wouldn't call anyone here religious in terms of what you're thinking...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I completely disagree with you there as some of the most racist people I've encountered are not religious in any way. Racism is taught so when a person sees this role model they are shaped into the very same thinking. When a person is nurtured into this line of thinking they will hold fast to it for a lifetime.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I completely disagree with you there as some of the most racist people I've encountered are not religious in any way. Racism is taught so when a person sees this role model they are shaped into the very same thinking. When a person is nurtured into this line of thinking they will hold fast to it for a lifetime.

Never encountered any non-religious racists myself, but if you say so. Racism can only be taught to the credulous: children/adult religious people. Otherwise you'd be like, "where's the evidence, dad/mom/brother/sister?" "Why do we believe this again?" Questions religious people never ask about anything.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Never encountered any non-religious racists myself, but if you say so. Racism can only be taught to the credulous: children/adult religious people. Otherwise you'd be like, "where's the evidence, dad/mom/brother/sister?" "Why do we believe this again?" Questions religious people never ask about anything.
A lack of proper upbringing can lead to many problems and is not mutually exclusive to people who practice religion albeit they harbor some of the strongest confirmation biases around.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
When I was a yout, I was prejudiced against developmentally disabled folks mostly due to fear of the unknown. I learned better after working with them. I also believe the armed services are one of the few successes we've had in the war against racism. They have been successful because the culture within the military doesn't accept it. There is a lesson to learn here in our respective cultures.

Well that's a complete load of revisionist bullshit.

Vintage_WWII_Patriotic_Posters_United_States_America-2.jpg

lossy-page1-452px-Be_sure_you_have_correct_time%5E_-_NARA_-_515050.tif.jpg

Anti-Japan2.png

Here's a bit of homework; which organization coined the terms Zipperhead and beloved patriot?

If WWII, the marker of the Greatest Generation is too far back, shall we look back at the Vietnam War? By and by, you still haven't gotten back to me on why you think the vets who testified in the Winter Soldier documentary are liars.

“You don't even think of them as human beings, they're ‘gooks’. And they're objects; they're not human, they're objects. The general rule was a Vietnamese who is dead is confirmed Viet Cong and one who is living is a Viet Cong suspect. And that's the way it was.”http://links.org.au/node/3343#_ftn23

Source: http://links.org.au/node/3343

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Well that's a complete load of revisionist bullshit.

Vintage_WWII_Patriotic_Posters_United_States_America-2.jpg

lossy-page1-452px-Be_sure_you_have_correct_time%5E_-_NARA_-_515050.tif.jpg

Anti-Japan2.png

Here's a bit of homework; which organization coined the terms Zipperhead and ************?

If WWII, the marker of the Greatest Generation is too far back, shall we look back at the Vietnam War? By and by, you still haven't gotten back to me on why you think the vets who testified in the Winter Soldier documentary are liars.

Source: http://links.org.au/node/3343
Nowhere did I say the military has always been against racism. Got any more out of date propaganda?

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Nowhere did I say the military has always been against racism. Got any more out of date propaganda?

And the US' invasion of Vietnam wasn't an invasion. Right.

Do stop dodging the Vietnam question; why do you claim that the veterans that testified are liars?

Edit: Also, I'd like to know when you think the US' military suddenly made a heel-turn and threw away it's racist past? Or you just been watching war movies again?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
And the US' invasion of Vietnam wasn't an invasion. Right.

Do stop dodging the Vietnam question; why do you claim that the veterans that testified are liars?
Do try to stay focused you blathering troll. We're talking about racism.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Do try to stay focused you blathering troll. We're talking about racism.

And you dodged both questions again. The one about racism, and yet again the one about the veterans that testified about the US' war crimes and racist methodology. Are you going to pull a PCGeek and continue to avoid the issues?

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
And you dodged both questions again. The one about racism, and yet again the one about the veterans that testified about the US' war crimes and racist methodology. Are you going to pull a PCGeek and continue to avoid the issues?

Stop being a twat, his point was that in the military has dealt with the racism *within the military* through discipline and camaraderie and it has worked.

Reactions: Perknose

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Sorry but, you lack the ability to define what the issues are. Start your own thread.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Prejudice/suspicion toward other groups different from our own is an unfortunate remnant of our evolutionary past, which acted as a survival mechanism to quickly identify threats.

That is absolutely false since groups that were threats were neighbouring and very much the same. You can't use this to justify racism.

Tribalism is more like US vs Canada or Texas vs. California. Neighbouring tribes up to no good, ya know.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Stop being a twat, his point was that in the military has dealt with the racism *within the military* through discipline and camaraderie and it has worked.

If the military managed to abandon racism within it, then it wouldn't manifest outside it. Otherwise, the military is still racist, in a "Some of my best friends are black" manner.