Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by blankslate, Mar 9, 2012.

1. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

Tom believes (I'm sharing this based on previous posts of his) that GZ actually took a moment's contemplation before shooting TM, and figured "eh, what the heck, it's a burglar, so I'll be praised for doing this" and that's WHY he shot him. Not because GZ had been screaming for who knows how long, and TM was on top of him, and that TM had already allegedly broken his nose, allegedly slammed his head into the concrete multiple times, and allegedly struck him a number of times as well, or that GZ legitimately feared for his life. Despite the evidence that supports those things happening, I don't believe Tom thinks they actually happened.

2. Tom

Tom Lifer

I'm not arguing the case. I'm arguing with your description of the simplest explanation, based on facts.

It isn't the number of mistakes Zimmerman made that matters, its what happened because of them. And if you are looking for the simplest conclusion you don't begin by ignoring the actual facts in favor of a story that is not supported by any facts at all.
    Its possible Martin was a crazed maniacal burglar thug out looking for victims, but there's zero actual evidence of that. He was where he belonged, not carrying a gun a knife a screwdriver.

3. soundforbjt

soundforbjt Diamond Member

"He's looks like he's on drugs or something"
    "He's got something in his waistband"
    "He looks like he's up to no good"
    "We've had a lot of break-ins here recently"

4. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

Please, so we can agree at least on what was factually a mistake made by GZ, and what the specific consequence was, that can be attributed ONLY to that particular mistake, I'd like to know.

You are picking and choosing what you want to label as facts, and coincidentally, none of them favor GZ's innocence.

You're ignoring the actual arguments presented as nobody has claimed the above.

Actually, unless you want to take GZ at his word, we don't have any idea about where TM was, or whether or not he was where he belonged. We only know for sure where his body ended up. If you want to take GZ at his word, then TM was walking between houses, where he was NOT supposed to be, as that's technically trespassing.

5. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

My corrections are underlined, my comments in bold

6. echo4747

echo4747 Golden Member

I think both GZ and TM made rash decisions. In fact, TM was probably first. I say this because:
    -He entered this Retreat view complex which clearly had signs stating it was a neighborhood watch community (tells a person its likely residents maybe "looking out" for each other)
    - he was wandering around on the lawns of these townhouses during a rainy/windy evening (possibly staring at houses) with his hand in his waistband ..instead of walking down the sidewalk or street
    -even though he had every right to be there as he was invited to stay at Brandi Greens place, TM should have known he would be viewed as a stranger to the residents there and this type of behavior would be viewed as suspicious.

I don't think those are things are prudent person does.

7. umbrella39

umbrella39 Lifer

Let's just hope the scrutiny isn't selective should they return... Sorry EK, but links with big fonts, bolds, colors and no personal commentary in rapid succession isn't appealing in an inbox and certainly not while browsing a forum. I don't want to put the guy on ignore he might actually have some good commentary so I don't see that as a good solution. When I enter someone's house for the first time I don't try and impose my will and go against the grain. When I see someone who does I think, now there is someone who has an agenda. Whether that be the case or not in this instance remains to be seen, less copy and paste and more actual keystrokes would be appreciated Dark but do as you see fit. So long as the mods don't take issue with it you don't need my two cents. Just a humble request that if you are going to take the time to post here actually do some posting...

8. umbrella39

umbrella39 Lifer

Only in eyes of those who have myopia... Saint or Thug... not sure that trying to paint Martin as the latter would be a wise road to travel down if I were Zimmerman's lawyer. Not sure how a jury would receive that considering his walk home from the 7-11 and up until his confrontation with Zimmerman was a fairly thug free experience... He will have his day in court and then all the speculation and the armchair scenarios can finally put aside and culpability can finally be put on one, the other, or both...

9. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

umbrella... I don't get it... why are you being rational all of a sudden? Who hacked your account?!

10. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

I thought this was interesting:

From this article: http://www.theroot.com/views/has-george-zimmerman-won-media-war?page=0,1&tid=sm_tw_button_toolbar

I know people in here earlier were debating whether or not TM had bruises on his knuckles, but it's interesting to see a "Black News, Opinion, Politics and Culture" website stating that as fact.

11. Darkman

Darkman Diamond Member

12. airdata

airdata Diamond Member

Team Zimmerman : George Zimmerman can defend himself with lethal force.

Team Zimmerman : Trayvon martin can't defend himself with non lethal force.

13. airdata

airdata Diamond Member

14. They Live

They Live Senior member

What makes you think there won't be riots if he's convicted?

15. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

Has it been GZ or TM supporters that have already held multiple marches at this point? The TM supporters have already shown their willingness to band together and take to the streets, and nothing like that (at least that I'm aware of) has yet taken place on the GZ side. Don't riots usually occur when people feel like someone has gotten away with a crime, especially against a minority, anyway? I imagine that's why most people wouldn't put equal odds for riots to occur if GZ is convicted.

#44741 OCNewbie, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  16. Darkman

Darkman Diamond Member

17. umbrella39

umbrella39 Lifer

OC this place had gotten so bad I started trolling, trolls. I'm not proud of it as it adds very little to the discussions... 12 stepping it, first step is acknowledging the problem ;)

18. They Live

They Live Senior member

Usually, yes.

In the mind of many Zimmerman supporters, him getting convicted would be a crime. Thus, it's not out of the realm of possibility that those on his side who are extremely emotionally invested in this case may take their anger out onto the streets if he's convicted, especially since they believe he's being railroaded.

I'm not saying it would happen, just that it's very possible. Most tend to believe there will only be riots if he's acquitted. Me personally, I don't believe that's the case.

#44744 They Live, Feb 28, 2013
  19. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

I'll concede that it's possible. Honestly though, if anything, I think there would more likely be protests, or marches or something, rather than car-burning, store-looting, random-person attacking, eggo-stealing, call-in-the-national-guard riots. We'll see.

#44745 OCNewbie, Feb 28, 2013
  20. They Live

They Live Senior member

Just curious about something. You live in Orlando, which I imagine is pretty damn close to where this whole incident happened. Have you ever driven by the area, and perhaps taken a look at the neighborhood itself? Maybe possibly go inside the neighborhood and take a look at the exact area where this all happened?

21. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

No, but I've thought about it. It would only be a 32 minute drive according to Google maps. I've been really tempted to go there to measure those damn sidewalk tiles, as that was debated heavily on here a while ago, and would give more insight into how far away from the "T" TM's body actually was. As it's a gated, private community, and with all the attention it's gotten, I'm a little concerned about possibly getting in trouble for trespassing though, tbh. Maybe my concerns are unwarranted, I dunno.

22. They Live

They Live Senior member

I don't think this would be an issue, IMO, as this guy who I believe doesn't live there has gone multiple times and made videos about it. He even took a "tour" with a George's friend Frank Taaffe.

https://www.youtube.com/user/marinadedave?feature=watch

23. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

And what point are you trying to make?

24. emperus

emperus Diamond Member

Lol. Still at Geo. You just can't help yourself can you?